My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Shipping Prosecco
- 2 Moscow: there is nothing to worry about.
- 3 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 4 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?
- 5 Your favourite places in Bath
- 6 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 7 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 8 Italy and Croatia
- 9 Europe Tour with Kids
- 10 What do you think of this Paris apartment rental?
- 11 Venice: Vene, Vidi, but not even close to Vici
- 12 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 13 Lakes District UK
- 14 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 15 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 16 Kimhe--flamenco
- 17 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 18 My experiences in Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid, Segovia & Toledo
- 19 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 20 Life Jackets on Gondolas in Venice?
- 21 Italy 14 days
- 22 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 23 One night Athens-what area to stay in.?
- 24 Best way to get from paris to florence?
- 25 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives