My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
- 1 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 2 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino
- 3 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 4 British drivers
- 5 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 6 A full week in The Netherlands
- 7 Prague Main Train Station
- 8 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 9 Spain Travel
- 10 Venice in Jan
- 11 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 12 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 13 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 14 Southern France
- 15 Stockholm hotel suggestions please!!!!
- 16 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 17 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 18 Geneva/Graechen/Milan Driving in February
- 19 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 20 Public transport from Ostuni
- 21 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 22 Itinerary Questions
- 23 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 24 at last an itinerary: feedback and hotel suggestions please
- 25 Bologna Restaurants open on Sunday?