My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Budget for 8 weeks in europe
- 2 Praiano
- 3 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 4 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 5 Travelling through Europe by RV in May 2017
- 6 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 7 Organised day tours v/s self travel
- 8 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 9 A hole in the wall in St Germain. Paris
- 10 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 11 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 12 Oporto
- 13 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 14 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 15 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 16 Italy bus or train
- 17 Italy - to return home from Naples or Rome?
- 18 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 19 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 20 Porto and vicinity
- 21 Rome to venice
- 22 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 23 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 24 help with Italy itinerary
- 25 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY