My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Flying with Air France and Alitalia
- 2 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 3 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 4 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 5 Need help with 2.5 days Rome itinerary
- 6 First Zermatt Ski Trip
- 7 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 8 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 9 train from ams to paris
- 10 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 11 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 12 4 or 5 nights Berlin
- 13 Poland in September
- 14 Why I loved Riga (Latvia)
- 15 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 16 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 17 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 18 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 19 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 20 Help with my 9 week Europe Itinerary
- 21 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 22 Scotland Advise: Isle of Skye or Glen Coe
- 23 Cordoba or Granada?
- 24 Apartments in Lisbon-Neighbouhood?
- 25 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY