My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 2 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 3 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 4 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 5 Can I cancel 2 of 4 train tickets?
- 6 Monet in Normandy
- 7 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 8 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 9 9 days in Italy - beginning in Venice
- 10 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 11 "New SAT Won’t Include Obscure Vocabulary Words"
- 12 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 13 7 Nights in Paris
- 14 Gargano Promontory
- 15 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 16 Santorini
- 17 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 18 SmartPhone Europe to USA
- 19 Airport to Piraeus
- 20 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 21 Getting from London to Southhampton
- 22 Day trips from Seville
- 23 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 24 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 25 Rent a villa in Crete or Not?