My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Food in Paris-Dining out
- 2 10 days in England
- 3 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 4 December in Munich, Salzburg, Graz, and Budapest
- 5 Safe to use hotel room safe?
- 6 Visit to Bath and London england
- 7 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 8 Spain - Mallorca vs. Canary Islands
- 9 Itinerey help for 4 weeks trip to Germany for July of 2015
- 10 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 11 On the road again - another country roads tour of France.
- 12 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 13 Florence/Tuscany and Rome - help with details!!
- 14 month's stay in Italy
- 15 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 16 Spain to France Itenerary Question: Plane or Train
- 17 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 18 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 19 Need Help For August Spain Itinerary (10 days)
- 20 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 21 Help with trip to St Petersburg
- 22 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 23 10 days switzerland trip itenary..
- 24 5 days France Itinerary
- 25 Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?