My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
- 1 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 2 Levanto, Italy B&B
- 3 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 4 Going to London next week but can't find hotel/hostel!!
- 5 Almalfi in Late March??
- 6 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 7 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 8 Ireland/UK trip ideas for Late July
- 9 Berlin to Dresden to Prague in eight days
- 10 Barcelona - 7 Portes Restaurant
- 11 Rail question 1st class and 2nd class
- 12 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 13 Trip to London
- 14 Florence, Capri and Amalfi
- 15 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 16 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 17 Sardinia and Berlin Itinerary
- 18 France and Italy for wedding and honeymoon
- 19 Barcelona + Venice Honeymoon in June
- 20 France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?
- 21 Backpacking through Europe
- 22 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 23 2 days in Frankfurt - where to stay -what to do - or straight to Paris
- 24 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 25 Buying tickets for London shows from online sites