My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 K-Day
- 2 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 3 UK Visa Help
- 4 Sundays in Puglia
- 5 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 6 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 7 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 8 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 9 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 10 Visiting London 05/02 - 05/20 (US dates)
- 11 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 12 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 13 Trip to Rome
- 14 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 15 4 or 5 nights in Rome? 4 or 5 nights on AC?
- 16 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 17 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 18 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 21 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 22 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 23 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 24 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 25 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY