My husband and I decided when we got married that we would go to Europe for our 10th wedding anniversary. Instead we are going for our 9th anniversary this July (just works better for us). We need your HELP. First we may opt to do a tour with a company (I know cheesy but to see as much as we want it may be nicer to have all our hotels and transportation planned out for us) or we may get a rail pass and just go for it. We have 16 days including flight time- so 14 travel days. The tour company itinerary: London (2 nights), Amsterdam (3 nights), Paris (2 nights), Lucerne Switzerland (2 nights), French Rivera (2 nights), Barcelona (2 nights) Depart from Barcelona. I know the general creed is: stay longer in each city. But it's our first trip to Europe (who knows if there'll be another one?) so I would really like to see all the places I dreamed about in one shot. Putting all our eggs in one trip basket. If we do our own it will be London (3 nights), Belgium ( 1 night) , Amsterdam (2 nights), German Rhine River Valley ( 1 night) , Austria ( 1 night), Venice (1 night), Switzerland ( 2 night) to Paris ( 3 nights). If we go for it on our own we are debating the rail pass...its about $625 per person for 15 days and from what I researched a car rental including gas might be a bit cheaper but I'm not a huge road trip person. I like the idea that my hubby won't have to stress about driving in unfamiliar areas if we travel by rail and we can sleep/nap if we want. The one draw back is that we are limited in that we will have to stay in city centers, lug our luggage and won't be able to get to outlying sights and drive a short distance where hotels are cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Help: Car or train to tour multiple countries? Organized tour or DIY
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris in April?
- 2 Mont St Michel
- 3 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 4 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 5 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 6 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 7 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 8 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 9 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?
- 10 London hotel
- 11 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 12 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 13 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 14 Day trip from London to Paris
- 15 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 16 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 17 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 18 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 19 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 20 nearby cities to london
- 21 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 22 Ancient Corinth info needed.
- 23 Tickets to Sagrada Familia
- 24 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 25 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days