We are a family of 4 (2 kids ages 11 and 14)and are desperately saving up in order to plan a tour of Italy in 2014 (having only ever experienced the bog standard all inclusive beach holidays which we are totally bored with now the kids are older). My husband and I love Italy (been to Milan/ Venice/Sicily/Naples as a couple and want the kids to have a cultural holiday instead of looking at a hotel pool and the same stretch of beach for 2 weeks)
Our plan is (and feel free to make alternative suggestions as we are COMPLETE novices).....
Fly to Rome, have 2 nights there (3 days),
then Florence for 2 nights (3 days),
Cinque Terre for a further 2 nights (3 days),
then onto Sirmione for 2 nights (3 days),
finally finishing at Venice for 1 night (2 days)before we fly home.
I'm currently pricing it all up to try and get an idea of costs, but cant seem to get on with the train website as it seems there are hundreds of destinations in Rome for example in which to go from and as I ve not researched what attractions we are going to actually plan at each destination yet, its proving difficult- also, when I just chose a random station to get a feel of the price, it said that the prices hadnt yet been released (for July 2013)
My questions are (and this will be the first of many as I have lots.......lol) Will this trip be do-able by train and is it relatively easy with the kids- we've chosen the lake and the beachy bit so that we get some relaxing time and not spending too long in Venice as myself and my husband have been there before.
Please please please give my any suggestions/ advice and any "must do" attractions/ activities that you can suggest - all will be greatly appreciated.......
(btw, I currently have the Rick Steve? book on order).
Thanking you all in advance
Help- 1st time family planning self tour of Italy
- 1 how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?
- 2 May 24, 2013. How to avoid lines in Paris, and other observations
- 3 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 4 Time in Strasbourg?
- 5 Rough itinerary for 14 days in the UK
- 6 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 7 2001: A Maitaitom Italian Odyssey - "The Lost Trip Report"
- 8 Day trip from The Hague to Brussels or Bruges - possible?
- 9 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 10 Paris in 8 days ALONE
- 11 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 12 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 13 Two weeks in Paris, Provence, and the French Riviera
- 14 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 15 Help! Creating a Budget for my DS Graduation Trip to Europe
- 16 Germany with 6 month old.
- 17 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 18 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 19 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 20 Germany and Italy
- 21 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 22 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 23 Daytrips to the Alps from Munich
- 24 Free/cheap things to do in London
- 25 Traveling with a guide in Turkey