We are a family of 4 (2 kids ages 11 and 14)and are desperately saving up in order to plan a tour of Italy in 2014 (having only ever experienced the bog standard all inclusive beach holidays which we are totally bored with now the kids are older). My husband and I love Italy (been to Milan/ Venice/Sicily/Naples as a couple and want the kids to have a cultural holiday instead of looking at a hotel pool and the same stretch of beach for 2 weeks)
Our plan is (and feel free to make alternative suggestions as we are COMPLETE novices).....
Fly to Rome, have 2 nights there (3 days),
then Florence for 2 nights (3 days),
Cinque Terre for a further 2 nights (3 days),
then onto Sirmione for 2 nights (3 days),
finally finishing at Venice for 1 night (2 days)before we fly home.
I'm currently pricing it all up to try and get an idea of costs, but cant seem to get on with the train website as it seems there are hundreds of destinations in Rome for example in which to go from and as I ve not researched what attractions we are going to actually plan at each destination yet, its proving difficult- also, when I just chose a random station to get a feel of the price, it said that the prices hadnt yet been released (for July 2013)
My questions are (and this will be the first of many as I have lots.......lol) Will this trip be do-able by train and is it relatively easy with the kids- we've chosen the lake and the beachy bit so that we get some relaxing time and not spending too long in Venice as myself and my husband have been there before.
Please please please give my any suggestions/ advice and any "must do" attractions/ activities that you can suggest - all will be greatly appreciated.......
(btw, I currently have the Rick Steve? book on order).
Thanking you all in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 Germany/Austria...with a toddler
- 3 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 4 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 5 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 6 Suggestions for summer 38 night itinerary with kids and a mom in tow?
- 7 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 8 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 9 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 10 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 11 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 12 Edinburgh to Skye
- 13 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 14 A Month stay in Southern France
- 15 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 16 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 17 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 18 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 19 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 20 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 21 ISO help planning a trip to England in May
- 22 Croatia transportation question.
- 23 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 24 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 25 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...