A few years ago, I took a business trip to Helsinki in the dead of winter. With an afternoon to kill, I took the ferry with some locals out to Suomenlinna to look around. While no doubt lively in summer, it was frigid, blanketed with snow, and virtually deserted. As early winter's darkness was approaching, I walked out on the the farthest point looking south at the Baltic Sea. It was ice-covered, and silent in the twilight except for a solitary ice breaker chugging its way through the icy crust toward the harbor. I've never felt so isolated, as I stood there for minutes contemplating the scene. For the way I felt then, I could have been on the moon looking back at earth. Ever traveled to a place that felt that far away from home?
Have you ever felt a million miles from home?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Eastern Europe
- 2 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 3 First time to Switzerland
- 4 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 5 Brittany France 2014 - Trip Report
- 6 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 7 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 8 All Set To Go!!
- 9 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 10 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 11 Airport ATMs
- 12 4 weeks in the UK
- 13 Granada
- 14 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 15 Euro Trivia Quiz #13... Ulysses S. Grant's European Tour?
- 16 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 17 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 18 Switzerland help...?
- 19 London to Paris by train
- 20 Euro Trivia quiz #15 - Famous Folks and Places
- 21 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 22 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 23 Looking for clean & reputable hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome!
- 24 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??
- 25 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews