A few years ago, I took a business trip to Helsinki in the dead of winter. With an afternoon to kill, I took the ferry with some locals out to Suomenlinna to look around. While no doubt lively in summer, it was frigid, blanketed with snow, and virtually deserted. As early winter's darkness was approaching, I walked out on the the farthest point looking south at the Baltic Sea. It was ice-covered, and silent in the twilight except for a solitary ice breaker chugging its way through the icy crust toward the harbor. I've never felt so isolated, as I stood there for minutes contemplating the scene. For the way I felt then, I could have been on the moon looking back at earth. Ever traveled to a place that felt that far away from home?
Have you ever felt a million miles from home?
- 1 Ireland - Doolin Ennis Dingle Kenmare Adare With Paragraph Breaks
- 2 Amalfi Coast and Transportation Help Needed
- 3 6 Weeks Traveling Around: Italy, Austria, Budapest, Paris
- 4 Nice
- 5 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 6 Cuenca or Toledo
- 7 Last monte Paris apartment
- 8 Berlin's New Barbie Dreamhouse Opens to Feminists' Protests
- 9 Wimpy's
- 10 HELP stuck in Italy
- 11 Accommodation in Lauterbrunnen
- 12 Train from Amsterdam to Bruges
- 13 Going to London for the first time at the end of May ALONE
- 14 large supermarket in Munich - where?
- 15 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 16 10 days in Cortona- any suggestions ?
- 17 ? re hotels in 5 terre
- 18 Places to stay for a tour of Normandy
- 19 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 20 Transportation from Venice Island to Treviso Airport?
- 21 charming small French city for weeklong stay?
- 22 Beatiful place near Aix-en-Provence or not too far from St Paul de Vence
- 23 I Need To Vent!
- 24 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 25 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy