A few years ago, I took a business trip to Helsinki in the dead of winter. With an afternoon to kill, I took the ferry with some locals out to Suomenlinna to look around. While no doubt lively in summer, it was frigid, blanketed with snow, and virtually deserted. As early winter's darkness was approaching, I walked out on the the farthest point looking south at the Baltic Sea. It was ice-covered, and silent in the twilight except for a solitary ice breaker chugging its way through the icy crust toward the harbor. I've never felt so isolated, as I stood there for minutes contemplating the scene. For the way I felt then, I could have been on the moon looking back at earth. Ever traveled to a place that felt that far away from home?
Have you ever felt a million miles from home?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 2 Rome Areas to stay
- 3 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 4 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 5 Italy and Croatia
- 6 Your favourite places in Bath
- 7 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car
- 8 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 9 Is this the right way<>?
- 10 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 11 What do you think of this Paris apartment rental?
- 12 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 13 Rental car scams in Italy
- 14 Italy - Month of July
- 15 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 16 Autumn in Paris
- 17 Europe Tour with Kids
- 18 Has anyone every used a company called Portugal Trails
- 19 St Germain
- 20 22 days or DIY tour
- 21 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 22 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 23 England & Scotland in April
- 24 17days Italy itinerary for Dec
- 25 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary