A few years ago, I took a business trip to Helsinki in the dead of winter. With an afternoon to kill, I took the ferry with some locals out to Suomenlinna to look around. While no doubt lively in summer, it was frigid, blanketed with snow, and virtually deserted. As early winter's darkness was approaching, I walked out on the the farthest point looking south at the Baltic Sea. It was ice-covered, and silent in the twilight except for a solitary ice breaker chugging its way through the icy crust toward the harbor. I've never felt so isolated, as I stood there for minutes contemplating the scene. For the way I felt then, I could have been on the moon looking back at earth. Ever traveled to a place that felt that far away from home?
Have you ever felt a million miles from home?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Sicily 10 days
- 2 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 3 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 4 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 5 Southeastern Sicily, on detective Montalbano's trails
- 6 Nice to St Remy overnight stop in Cassis?
- 7 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 8 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 9 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 10 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 11 Portugal in September
- 12 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 13 Europe with young teens
- 14 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 15 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 16 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 17 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 18 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 19 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 20 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 21 Advises for trip to Russia
- 22 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 23 First time traveler to Ireland
- 24 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 25 Euro Train