I'm new to this forum and joined because of the quality of discussions I've seen here. Information seems to be shared in a friendly and helpful way. Just browsing through, I have found many sights and dining recommendations which are now on our itinerary.
We're spending three weeks in Italy this autumn. Visiting Lake Como ( staying in Varenna), Venice, Umbria (Spello), Tuscany (Siena), and Rome. 3 to 4 days each place.
As a general rule, we choose hotels on the basis of location first (we like to be right in town), then hospitality and ambiance, with amenities (beyond a decent bed and bathroom) as a last consideration. A well-located and welcoming two-star property will win out over a less central, more impersonal three or four star place every time with us.
I'm happy with our arrangements in Varenna (Casa Rossa/Albergo Milano), Venice (Hotel Campiello) and Spello (Albergo del Teatro).
But we're unsure about Siena and Rome.
In Siena, we chose Pallazo Masi due to it's location just steps off the Campo. It's reasonably priced even including the €25 per day for parking (at Campo Parking). Has anyone stayed there?
I have seen recommendations on this board for Pallazo Ravizza which is a bit further from the Campo, and is considerably more expensive. Parking is included which is a major convenience of course. Ravizza is a hotel and Masi more of a residenza. The price difference isn't a dealbreaker for us. We would regret saving the money only to end up in a dive. And I'm not sure about in/out access at the municipal parking lot. Any information or help here would be really appreciated.
Rome obviously presents many more choices. Again, location was the prime factor in choosing where to stay (we're returning the car at FCO before we enter Rome). Here we selected Hotel Barocco on Piazza Barberini. We like this location because of its easy walking distance to so many central Rome sights. There are dozens of hotels in that vicinity. Have we chosen well?
Thanks for any guidance or warnings you can provide.
Rick and Jen
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 If you had to choose one......
- 2 Car rental from Barcelona
- 3 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 4 Sicily
- 5 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 6 House Hunting in France
- 7 Itinerary Tweaking
- 8 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 9 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 10 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 11 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 12 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 13 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 14 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 15 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 16 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 17 Ireland in April
- 18 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 19 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 20 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 21 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 22 A night's stop between Sarlat and Amboise.
- 23 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 24 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 25 Hiking in Austrian Alps?