I'm new to this forum and joined because of the quality of discussions I've seen here. Information seems to be shared in a friendly and helpful way. Just browsing through, I have found many sights and dining recommendations which are now on our itinerary.
We're spending three weeks in Italy this autumn. Visiting Lake Como ( staying in Varenna), Venice, Umbria (Spello), Tuscany (Siena), and Rome. 3 to 4 days each place.
As a general rule, we choose hotels on the basis of location first (we like to be right in town), then hospitality and ambiance, with amenities (beyond a decent bed and bathroom) as a last consideration. A well-located and welcoming two-star property will win out over a less central, more impersonal three or four star place every time with us.
I'm happy with our arrangements in Varenna (Casa Rossa/Albergo Milano), Venice (Hotel Campiello) and Spello (Albergo del Teatro).
But we're unsure about Siena and Rome.
In Siena, we chose Pallazo Masi due to it's location just steps off the Campo. It's reasonably priced even including the €25 per day for parking (at Campo Parking). Has anyone stayed there?
I have seen recommendations on this board for Pallazo Ravizza which is a bit further from the Campo, and is considerably more expensive. Parking is included which is a major convenience of course. Ravizza is a hotel and Masi more of a residenza. The price difference isn't a dealbreaker for us. We would regret saving the money only to end up in a dive. And I'm not sure about in/out access at the municipal parking lot. Any information or help here would be really appreciated.
Rome obviously presents many more choices. Again, location was the prime factor in choosing where to stay (we're returning the car at FCO before we enter Rome). Here we selected Hotel Barocco on Piazza Barberini. We like this location because of its easy walking distance to so many central Rome sights. There are dozens of hotels in that vicinity. Have we chosen well?
Thanks for any guidance or warnings you can provide.
Rick and Jen
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 2 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 3 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 4 Castle Stays in Wales
- 5 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 6 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 7 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 8 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 11 Can parking
- 12 italy Cinque Terre
- 13 San Sebastián
- 14 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 15 Zurich to Milan trip
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 Would like help planning a 16-21 day week trip to Spain and/or Portugal
- 18 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 19 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 20 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 21 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 22 Driving through Paris
- 23 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 24 Advice for first time trip to Greece
- 25 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue