I'm new to this forum and joined because of the quality of discussions I've seen here. Information seems to be shared in a friendly and helpful way. Just browsing through, I have found many sights and dining recommendations which are now on our itinerary.
We're spending three weeks in Italy this autumn. Visiting Lake Como ( staying in Varenna), Venice, Umbria (Spello), Tuscany (Siena), and Rome. 3 to 4 days each place.
As a general rule, we choose hotels on the basis of location first (we like to be right in town), then hospitality and ambiance, with amenities (beyond a decent bed and bathroom) as a last consideration. A well-located and welcoming two-star property will win out over a less central, more impersonal three or four star place every time with us.
I'm happy with our arrangements in Varenna (Casa Rossa/Albergo Milano), Venice (Hotel Campiello) and Spello (Albergo del Teatro).
But we're unsure about Siena and Rome.
In Siena, we chose Pallazo Masi due to it's location just steps off the Campo. It's reasonably priced even including the €25 per day for parking (at Campo Parking). Has anyone stayed there?
I have seen recommendations on this board for Pallazo Ravizza which is a bit further from the Campo, and is considerably more expensive. Parking is included which is a major convenience of course. Ravizza is a hotel and Masi more of a residenza. The price difference isn't a dealbreaker for us. We would regret saving the money only to end up in a dive. And I'm not sure about in/out access at the municipal parking lot. Any information or help here would be really appreciated.
Rome obviously presents many more choices. Again, location was the prime factor in choosing where to stay (we're returning the car at FCO before we enter Rome). Here we selected Hotel Barocco on Piazza Barberini. We like this location because of its easy walking distance to so many central Rome sights. There are dozens of hotels in that vicinity. Have we chosen well?
Thanks for any guidance or warnings you can provide.
Rick and Jen
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 2 Madrid airport question
- 3 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 4 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 5 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 6 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 7 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 8 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 9 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 10 Imbros Gorge
- 11 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 12 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 13 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 14 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 15 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 16 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 17 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 18 38 Days in Paris
- 19 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 20 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 21 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 22 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 23 Taxi Cost / Uber Question
- 24 How the kids age calculated
- 25 Day trips: which ones are must-do?