To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Transport from Prague to Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia-Romania
- 2 My First Trip to Europe...
- 3 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 4 Enjoying England for a year!
- 5 The Texas Trio Tour England
- 6 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 7 Les bons plans de whathello - paris - hotel
- 8 Looking for a car with a driver in Ireland
- 9 Help needed for Netherlands itinerary please
- 10 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 11 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 12 Spain - Advice for Beach towns
- 13 We are back!
- 14 Paris, the Bernese Oberland, and Bavaria with 2 kids
- 15 Our time in Rome
- 16 Europe itinerary review
- 17 European Travel in March
- 18 Gracia Neighborhood in Barcelona Spain
- 19 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 20 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.
- 21 Holiday in Cilento Region
- 22 Markets in Malaga, Seville, Madrid
- 23 Greece Itinerary
- 24 Europe itinerary
- 25 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau