To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Weekend hopping: Ghent, Zadar, Lisbon, Bosch, Brno,...
- 2 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 3 Top Tourist Mob Scenes in Europe
- 4 Day trips by train from Milan
- 5 London dining service charge
- 6 Italy Itinerary: Rome and Amalfi
- 7 best way to travel from Budapest airport
- 8 Cochinillo in Segovia
- 9 Cheap SIM cards for iPhones in Paris
- 10 What are the Hidden Attractions in paris
- 11 London Paris
- 12 Chateau Lynch-Bages near Bordeaux
- 13 24 hrs in Istanbul
- 14 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 15 Family Trip to Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords, Sweden Schedule?
- 16 ITINERARY-6 WEEKS
- 17 Who Tips In Paris Cafes and How Much?
- 18 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 19 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 20 Amsterdam hotel with a canal view
- 21 Advance Booking for Spain
- 22 Itinerary advice for 9 days in London for female solo traveller
- 23 Planning a two day visit to Montreux
- 24 Norwegian air
- 25 3 Wake-up calls