To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 2 RV Camper Van in Scottish Highlands
- 3 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 4 Norway fjord
- 5 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 6 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 7 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 8 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 9 Barcelona with baby
- 10 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 11 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 12 Andalusia with kids What should they read before we visit?
- 13 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 14 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 15 Pre-Bookings in London?
- 16 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 17 Preliminary Scotland itinerary late September 2017
- 18 help with Italy itinerary
- 19 Capri in July
- 20 Self catering house area 't Gooi for young family
- 21 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 22 Venice
- 23 London 2For1 question
- 24 Major Ed van der Elsken show in Stedelijk Museum
- 25 Warsaw to Smolensk?