To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Hamburg, Cologne or Frankfurt
- 1 Barcelona June 2013 Trip Report
- 2 Benita In Paris
- 3 Paris and Amsterdam July 2013 trip
- 4 I'm Boycotting Switzerland And I'm Glad Belgium Makes Great Chocolate Too!
- 5 Driving through Europe
- 6 Romania Tour Guide
- 7 Transportation from Barcelona airport to Li Riberia
- 8 Best Area to Stay in Paris
- 9 Italy with kids - lost in the wilderness of planning - please help
- 10 Travel from Sorrento to Naples in the early morning?
- 11 5000 stairsteps, 40 ciao bellas, 12 trains, 8 pizzas, 3 women, 1 report
- 12 The "I'm moving/I'm coming home" Italy Trip Report...
- 13 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 14 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 15 Help Needed with European Adventure
- 16 Places to visit from London
- 17 Nice agriturismo or country apartments/villa near Bologna
- 18 Rental car size in Spain: what's a supermini?
- 19 Renting Apartment in Nice
- 20 Do and don't, eating in France
- 21 Group tours of Greece/Greek islands for solo traveler
- 22 Who is along for the ride???Still needing help on this INTERESTING trip
- 23 Getting the best our of Europe
- 24 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 25 Help with Spain Trip in Late August