To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 2 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 3 Help required with Itinerary
- 4 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 5 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 6 Are there any Paris walking guides I should add to my collection?
- 7 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 8 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 9 Campervan in Croatia
- 10 Greek Islands (small)
- 11 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 12 Cell Phone Question
- 13 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 14 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 15 K-Day
- 16 UK Visa Help
- 17 Skye to Edinburgh
- 18 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 19 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 20 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 21 Chime in on Portugal Itineraryy
- 22 Spain in December
- 23 advance tickets?
- 24 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 25 Where to go...one month w/a one year old