To catch you up, my wife and I will be travelling mainly through Germany, Austria and Prague for six weeks during May and June 2013.
I thought we had the majority of Germany covered with out planned 25 days there. However, on further investigation I found that we will be seeing neither the Rhine River nor the Black Forest areas.
Currently our itinerary has us spending our final 3 nights in Germany visiting Hamburg before heading to Cologne for a quick train change and on to Bruges.
The only city on our itinerary that I am not really au fait with is Hamburg. So my question is:
Should we still stay in Hamburg for the 3 nights and forego the Rhine and Black Forest, or should we:
1. Spend the 3 nights in Cologne and take day trips along the Rhine and Heidelberg and then continue our trip from there to Bruges, or
2. Spend the 3 nights in Frankfurt where there are quite a number of day trips available to see the Rhine, Baden-Baden in the Black Forest and Heidelberg, as well as a short trip to Cologne to see the Cathedral etc.
We have heard that Hamburg is a bustling city and is big on night life. Our travelling habits are more about lots of sightseeing and lots of walking through the day and then we are usually in bed by 9pm. Given our travel habits, I am not sure that Hamburg would hold as much interest for us as perhaps visiting Cologne, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden and the Rhine / Moselle River region.
Any thoughts please?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 2 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 3 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 4 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 5 Outstanding Bangalore Escorts Agency
- 6 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 7 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 8 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 9 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 10 A few more questions about Brittany
- 11 Flight
- 12 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 13 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 14 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 17 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 18 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 19 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 20 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 21 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 22 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 23 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 24 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 25 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence