I previously asked if I should be concerned about a ground level apartment on the Grand Canal (it is on the same level as the canal), which I'm considering renting for 6 nights the last week of September. Specifically, I asked if I should be concerned about morning noise from boats and potential for flooding. I already received the excellent suggestion that if the fridge is on a platform, that's a sign of potential flooding and I shouldn't rent the place. In the photos I've seen, the fridge is not on a platform, so that's encouraging.
I'd just like to know if anyone has had any other negative experiences or advice specific to ground-level apartments in Venice, especially one situated on a canal. For instance--odors or plumbing issues? Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question--I've never been to Venice!
The apartment I'm considering has its own water door on the Grand Canal, and there appears to be only a tiny foyer separating the water door from the rest of the apartment (no second door betw the foyer and the rest of the apt). But the apartment itself looks lovely (and is not cheap!) I haven't seen any negative reviews of this place on TripAdvisor or elsewhere (other than a minor, administrativey-type complaint), and there are several positive reviews.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 2 restaurants in Marais district
- 3 Shoes in Scotland
- 4 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 5 A Month stay in Southern France
- 6 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 7 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 8 Italy for Christmas Week
- 9 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 10 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 11 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 12 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 13 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 14 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 15 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 16 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 17 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 18 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 19 France & Italy, May or June
- 20 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 21 Engadine Valley help
- 22 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 23 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 24 Honeymoon in Greece
- 25 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania