I previously asked if I should be concerned about a ground level apartment on the Grand Canal (it is on the same level as the canal), which I'm considering renting for 6 nights the last week of September. Specifically, I asked if I should be concerned about morning noise from boats and potential for flooding. I already received the excellent suggestion that if the fridge is on a platform, that's a sign of potential flooding and I shouldn't rent the place. In the photos I've seen, the fridge is not on a platform, so that's encouraging.
I'd just like to know if anyone has had any other negative experiences or advice specific to ground-level apartments in Venice, especially one situated on a canal. For instance--odors or plumbing issues? Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question--I've never been to Venice!
The apartment I'm considering has its own water door on the Grand Canal, and there appears to be only a tiny foyer separating the water door from the rest of the apartment (no second door betw the foyer and the rest of the apt). But the apartment itself looks lovely (and is not cheap!) I haven't seen any negative reviews of this place on TripAdvisor or elsewhere (other than a minor, administrativey-type complaint), and there are several positive reviews.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 2 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 5 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 6 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 7 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 8 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 12 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 13 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 14 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 15 Bruges
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 18 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 19 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 20 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 21 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 22 Planning A trip
- 23 A week in the Occitanie
- 24 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 25 Paris Neighborhood Help