We took an amazing trip to Greenland in July. We've traveled extensively to developed and developing countries all over the world and Greenland ranks near the top in terms of unspoiled nature and spectacular scenery. Highly recommended for outdoorsy types.
The trip was arranged by greenland-travel, which has a variety of choices of trip length and style. This trip was not a guided trip. Instead, they arranged all the hotels and transportation, and a few optional excursions. Then, we would meet up with particular guides for particular excursions wherever we went. It worked out really well. Lots of enthusiastic young guides.
Be warned that it's very expensive to visit Greenland, as it's part of Denmark which has a very high cost of living to start with, and because little besides fish is produced locally, which means everything must be imported.
We spent most of our time around Ilulissat, but also visited Eqi (a huge calving glacier), and Oqatsut (a village of only 35 people). We took a late-evening plane ride over the Ilulissat icefjord with Air Zafari, which was as spectacular as it sounds. To see the large photos and detailed description of the icecap, icefjord, and icebergs, visit the link below:
This is only the first of several articles/photo galleries I'll do about the trip. Lots more amazing photos to come!
Hope you enjoy,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 IWM
- 2 London Hotel - Different Request
- 3 Seville to Cordoba
- 4 3 nights in Madrid
- 5 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 6 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, aperitivo in Milan, Turin, Piedmont
- 7 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 8 Travelling Iceland
- 9 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 10 Quiet reasonably priced Munich hotel during Oktoberfest
- 11 Portugal rental car
- 12 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 13 Stowing Luggage at Florence for a day!
- 14 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
- 15 Trastevere Food
- 16 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 17 Paris then Italy? Or Greece?
- 18 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 19 Sim Cards
- 20 Nightime Tivoli
- 21 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 22 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 23 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 24 Amalfi Coast
- 25 Montserrat Express
Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery