We took an amazing trip to Greenland in July. We've traveled extensively to developed and developing countries all over the world and Greenland ranks near the top in terms of unspoiled nature and spectacular scenery. Highly recommended for outdoorsy types.
The trip was arranged by greenland-travel, which has a variety of choices of trip length and style. This trip was not a guided trip. Instead, they arranged all the hotels and transportation, and a few optional excursions. Then, we would meet up with particular guides for particular excursions wherever we went. It worked out really well. Lots of enthusiastic young guides.
Be warned that it's very expensive to visit Greenland, as it's part of Denmark which has a very high cost of living to start with, and because little besides fish is produced locally, which means everything must be imported.
We spent most of our time around Ilulissat, but also visited Eqi (a huge calving glacier), and Oqatsut (a village of only 35 people). We took a late-evening plane ride over the Ilulissat icefjord with Air Zafari, which was as spectacular as it sounds. To see the large photos and detailed description of the icecap, icefjord, and icebergs, visit the link below:
This is only the first of several articles/photo galleries I'll do about the trip. Lots more amazing photos to come!
Hope you enjoy,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 2 Amsterdam hotels
- 3 1 month in Europe
- 4 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 5 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 6 London Hotels
- 7 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 8 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 9 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 10 Paris hotels
- 11 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 12 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 13 Denmark or Sweden?
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 16 Back from Paris
- 17 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 18 Island hopping Croatia - into nature/hiking
- 19 Brugge hotel help
- 20 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 21 Old European currency
- 22 Europe itinerary questions
- 23 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 24 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 25 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery