We took an amazing trip to Greenland in July. We've traveled extensively to developed and developing countries all over the world and Greenland ranks near the top in terms of unspoiled nature and spectacular scenery. Highly recommended for outdoorsy types.
The trip was arranged by greenland-travel, which has a variety of choices of trip length and style. This trip was not a guided trip. Instead, they arranged all the hotels and transportation, and a few optional excursions. Then, we would meet up with particular guides for particular excursions wherever we went. It worked out really well. Lots of enthusiastic young guides.
Be warned that it's very expensive to visit Greenland, as it's part of Denmark which has a very high cost of living to start with, and because little besides fish is produced locally, which means everything must be imported.
We spent most of our time around Ilulissat, but also visited Eqi (a huge calving glacier), and Oqatsut (a village of only 35 people). We took a late-evening plane ride over the Ilulissat icefjord with Air Zafari, which was as spectacular as it sounds. To see the large photos and detailed description of the icecap, icefjord, and icebergs, visit the link below:
This is only the first of several articles/photo galleries I'll do about the trip. Lots more amazing photos to come!
Hope you enjoy,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 2 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 3 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 4 base for Andalucia
- 5 Seville: Churches and Convent
- 6 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 7 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 8 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 9 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 10 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 11 Apartment in Rome
- 12 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 13 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 14 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 15 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 16 Best Greek Island
- 17 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 18 Flea markets in Romania
- 19 car rental
- 20 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 21 Cinque Terre - mid Oct 2017 -Ferry? Train? Car Parks?
- 22 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 23 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 24 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 25 Christian Cafe Dating
Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery