We took an amazing trip to Greenland in July. We've traveled extensively to developed and developing countries all over the world and Greenland ranks near the top in terms of unspoiled nature and spectacular scenery. Highly recommended for outdoorsy types.
The trip was arranged by greenland-travel, which has a variety of choices of trip length and style. This trip was not a guided trip. Instead, they arranged all the hotels and transportation, and a few optional excursions. Then, we would meet up with particular guides for particular excursions wherever we went. It worked out really well. Lots of enthusiastic young guides.
Be warned that it's very expensive to visit Greenland, as it's part of Denmark which has a very high cost of living to start with, and because little besides fish is produced locally, which means everything must be imported.
We spent most of our time around Ilulissat, but also visited Eqi (a huge calving glacier), and Oqatsut (a village of only 35 people). We took a late-evening plane ride over the Ilulissat icefjord with Air Zafari, which was as spectacular as it sounds. To see the large photos and detailed description of the icecap, icefjord, and icebergs, visit the link below:
This is only the first of several articles/photo galleries I'll do about the trip. Lots more amazing photos to come!
Hope you enjoy,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 2 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 3 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 4 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 5 Chania
- 6 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 7 Car rental in Santorini port
- 8 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 9 Renting a car in Greece
- 10 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 11 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 12 renting a car in greece
- 13 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 14 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 15 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 16 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 17 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 18 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 19 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 20 retruning to US with souveniers
- 21 Is there a forum just for Paris?
- 22 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 23 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 24 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 25 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery