So I made a spur of the moment decision a couple days ago to buy a one way ticket to Greece, departing October 30th. I have a general plan, but since people here seem experienced and willing to help, I thought it might be a good place to query.
My grandmother has a house (she is greek, but living here in America) on a small island near Turkey that she has graciously allowed me to stay at for as long as I need while I work on a writing project. While I had idealistic goals of simplifying my life and staying for an extended period of time, it has come to my attention that I can only stay for a period of 90 days out of every 180. I'm pretty disappointed about this, and I was wondering if I can extend that or be allowed some sort of extension due to my Greek heritage? I have looked around online and haven't found many answers to this.
My next question is about general travel in the area. Will the ferries be running in fall/early winter? As this is also a sort of spiritual adventure, I am really interested in visiting Patmos, but only if there is a ferry going that direction. I'm also interested in exploring Turkey, Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. I know that there is a ferry to Turkey, but I'm unsure about the rest. I'm also unsure how safe the waters off the Northern coast of Africa are with so much turmoil in the general area (Syria, mainly).
Because I booked a one way ticket, I have the idea of buying a motorcycle and using that as my transport through these and other areas that I am considering. If my jaunt to the south doesn't work out, I'm hoping to try my luck at traversing some of the Eastern European countries and possibly making my way through Kazakhstan. It's an ambitious thought, I know but if there is a potential to work along the way, I would love to extend this trip for as long as possible. What is the potential for buying and traversing through different countries with a motorcycle in this part of the world?
Alright, well I have already asked way more than I should reasonably expect a response to, but if there is something that catches your eye about any of my travel plan, I would greatly appreciate even the smallest tid bit of information! Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airport Transit Visa
- 2 Santorini Greece - Cooking Lessons
- 3 Travelling Iceland
- 4 Guide for Nowa Huta?
- 5 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 6 Italian lake cruise
- 7 Paris advice with kids
- 8 Tuscany Itinerary
- 9 How much budget for 2 months in Europe?
- 10 Sunday drive riviera to St Remy Provence. where to stop? +monday plans
- 11 First visit to London
- 12 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 13 Route Information
- 14 International drivers permit
- 15 Worst flight booking with edreams
- 16 Anyone stay at Homeaway: Villa Iride in Praiano, Amalfi Coast?
- 17 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 18 french italian Riviera overnight stop noli, cervo, san remo, menton, other?
- 19 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 20 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 21 Scenic drive Bologna to Lucca?
- 22 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 23 alcazar question and seville advice
- 24 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 25 My Topic TitleT 10 card question