So I made a spur of the moment decision a couple days ago to buy a one way ticket to Greece, departing October 30th. I have a general plan, but since people here seem experienced and willing to help, I thought it might be a good place to query.
My grandmother has a house (she is greek, but living here in America) on a small island near Turkey that she has graciously allowed me to stay at for as long as I need while I work on a writing project. While I had idealistic goals of simplifying my life and staying for an extended period of time, it has come to my attention that I can only stay for a period of 90 days out of every 180. I'm pretty disappointed about this, and I was wondering if I can extend that or be allowed some sort of extension due to my Greek heritage? I have looked around online and haven't found many answers to this.
My next question is about general travel in the area. Will the ferries be running in fall/early winter? As this is also a sort of spiritual adventure, I am really interested in visiting Patmos, but only if there is a ferry going that direction. I'm also interested in exploring Turkey, Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. I know that there is a ferry to Turkey, but I'm unsure about the rest. I'm also unsure how safe the waters off the Northern coast of Africa are with so much turmoil in the general area (Syria, mainly).
Because I booked a one way ticket, I have the idea of buying a motorcycle and using that as my transport through these and other areas that I am considering. If my jaunt to the south doesn't work out, I'm hoping to try my luck at traversing some of the Eastern European countries and possibly making my way through Kazakhstan. It's an ambitious thought, I know but if there is a potential to work along the way, I would love to extend this trip for as long as possible. What is the potential for buying and traversing through different countries with a motorcycle in this part of the world?
Alright, well I have already asked way more than I should reasonably expect a response to, but if there is something that catches your eye about any of my travel plan, I would greatly appreciate even the smallest tid bit of information! Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 2 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 3 Piedmont as a destination
- 4 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 5 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 6 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 7 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 8 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 9 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 10 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 11 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 12 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 13 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 14 Passport proplems
- 15 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 16 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 17 Itinerary help...
- 18 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 19 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 20 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 21 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 22 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 23 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October
- 24 Lisbon or Cascais in July
- 25 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT