Thank you all for the great information I’ve read on these forums. Now I am finally starting to plan my own trip to Greece in June/July 2015.
We plan to fly into Athens, maybe charter a sailboat for a few days then visit the Peloponnese and one island before returning to Athens. It will be me, my wife and 17 y/o son with one of his friends. We have been to Italy a few times and I do most of my own planning. We normally rent a car and try to hire a private guide for some of the more interesting sites. Ideally I would like to spend the first and last few days touring Athens (like so many recommend) then after a sailing charter, rent a car and spend a few days visiting the ancient sites surrounding Nafplion, then take a few days and drive to Sparta, Olympia , Delphi , Thermopylae and possibly Marathon. I’m really into history… Then off to Santorini for three or four days. We Plan to finish in Athens then fly home. Three weeks total.
My questions are:
1. When should I be booking the flights, hotel accommodations, rental car and guides?
2. Would it be a lot easier (pros and cons) to just use a Greek travel service (if yes, which one?) or do it on my own?
3. Also any recommendations or experiences on chartering a sailboat? (Not skipper myself, but maybe book a couple cabins on a small charter)
Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 rocketmail@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tech SUPP0RT CARE *
- 2 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 3 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 4 Rethinking my late September vacation in Madrid/Andalusia – Italy instead?
- 5 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 6 Hotels in Turin
- 7 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 8 two days to travel from bolzano to assisi
- 9 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 10 Best layover option
- 11 3 months in Bristol
- 12 TR-Croatia and Italy. A bit long but it's all here in one post.
- 13 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 14 Summer Mountain Retreats
- 15 Watching A Musical At The West End In London
- 16 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 17 Spanish Civil War Tour in Barcelona
- 18 Bus from Potsdam to Dresden
- 19 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 20 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 21 TravelCard vs Oyster
- 22 Greece Honeymoon Itineraries
- 23 Chania or Rhodes Town
- 24 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 25 Lake Como AREA questions