Thank you all for the great information I’ve read on these forums. Now I am finally starting to plan my own trip to Greece in June/July 2015.
We plan to fly into Athens, maybe charter a sailboat for a few days then visit the Peloponnese and one island before returning to Athens. It will be me, my wife and 17 y/o son with one of his friends. We have been to Italy a few times and I do most of my own planning. We normally rent a car and try to hire a private guide for some of the more interesting sites. Ideally I would like to spend the first and last few days touring Athens (like so many recommend) then after a sailing charter, rent a car and spend a few days visiting the ancient sites surrounding Nafplion, then take a few days and drive to Sparta, Olympia , Delphi , Thermopylae and possibly Marathon. I’m really into history… Then off to Santorini for three or four days. We Plan to finish in Athens then fly home. Three weeks total.
My questions are:
1. When should I be booking the flights, hotel accommodations, rental car and guides?
2. Would it be a lot easier (pros and cons) to just use a Greek travel service (if yes, which one?) or do it on my own?
3. Also any recommendations or experiences on chartering a sailboat? (Not skipper myself, but maybe book a couple cabins on a small charter)
Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 2 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 3 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 4 Madrid/Lisbon
- 5 No Periods in British Written English!
- 6 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 7 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 8 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 9 Greek fuel cost
- 10 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 11 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 12 Beach + City + Hiking + Art + Views + Food =
- 13 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 14 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 15 Day trips from Florence
- 16 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 17 May get together in Paris
- 18 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 19 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 20 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 21 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 22 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 23 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 24 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving
- 25 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation