Thank you all for the great information I’ve read on these forums. Now I am finally starting to plan my own trip to Greece in June/July 2015.
We plan to fly into Athens, maybe charter a sailboat for a few days then visit the Peloponnese and one island before returning to Athens. It will be me, my wife and 17 y/o son with one of his friends. We have been to Italy a few times and I do most of my own planning. We normally rent a car and try to hire a private guide for some of the more interesting sites. Ideally I would like to spend the first and last few days touring Athens (like so many recommend) then after a sailing charter, rent a car and spend a few days visiting the ancient sites surrounding Nafplion, then take a few days and drive to Sparta, Olympia , Delphi , Thermopylae and possibly Marathon. I’m really into history… Then off to Santorini for three or four days. We Plan to finish in Athens then fly home. Three weeks total.
My questions are:
1. When should I be booking the flights, hotel accommodations, rental car and guides?
2. Would it be a lot easier (pros and cons) to just use a Greek travel service (if yes, which one?) or do it on my own?
3. Also any recommendations or experiences on chartering a sailboat? (Not skipper myself, but maybe book a couple cabins on a small charter)
Thank you in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 2 London Hotels
- 3 Paris hotels
- 4 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 5 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 6 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 7 Back from Paris
- 8 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 9 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 10 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 11 Summer Travel order
- 12 10 days in Paris and......
- 13 Another tipping question: concierges
- 14 Brugge hotel help
- 15 Luggage Storage
- 16 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 17 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 18 Romeloft Apartment Trastevere
- 19 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 20 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 21 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 22 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 23 LIsbon
- 24 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 25 International Flight Question