My boyfriend and I will be coming to Greece in early November and are planning a trip for 10 - 14 days (TBD based on itinerary). He'll be running the Athens Marathon on November 9th and we're building the trip around that. We're both in our early 30s, athletic and adventurous. We enjoy physical outdoor activities (hiking and scuba diving) as well as simply wandering around new places.
That said, I've put together a tentative itinerary I'm hoping I can get your input on. From what I've read, early November may not be the best time to come to Greece (colder, rainier, closed islands), but it also sounds like in some ways it may be better for us. We're not big into crowds, partying or laying on beaches. We like to see new places, visit historical sites, eat good food, drink delicious wine and go a bit off the beaten path. Tricky since it is both of our first visits to Greece and we'd like to see some of the more well-known places as well!
I'm not sure how travel to and from all of these places would be in early November or what the best route/order may be. Also interested if we're missing something spectacular, are trying to do too much or aren't spending enough time in any one place.
Here's the wish list:
Athens: 4 days
- Marathon run
- Acropolis museum
- Dionysius Theatre
- Lycabettus Hill
- Flea Market – Sunday
- Central Market
- Outdoor cinema (are any open in November?)
Fly or rent a car and drive 5 hours to Meteora, hike, visit monasteries. (X days?)
Return to Athens. (I looked, but couldn't find a car rental place near Meteora to drive one way, drop off the car and fly back. True?)
Take a ferry or fly to Santorini (3 days)
Take a ferry to Naxos (3 days)
Fly back to Athens and catch a connecting flight home.
I hope I've provided enough info to give you an idea of what we're looking for.
Thanks in advance for your insights and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 2 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 3 quickest way to Prague
- 4 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 5 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 6 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 7 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 8 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 9 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 10 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 11 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 12 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 13 16 days in France and Italy
- 14 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 15 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 16 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 17 Avoid Europcar!
- 18 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 19 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 20 Plitvace Lake 1 day or 2?
- 21 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 22 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 23 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 24 Amsterdam
- 25 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please