My boyfriend and I will be coming to Greece in early November and are planning a trip for 10 - 14 days (TBD based on itinerary). He'll be running the Athens Marathon on November 9th and we're building the trip around that. We're both in our early 30s, athletic and adventurous. We enjoy physical outdoor activities (hiking and scuba diving) as well as simply wandering around new places.
That said, I've put together a tentative itinerary I'm hoping I can get your input on. From what I've read, early November may not be the best time to come to Greece (colder, rainier, closed islands), but it also sounds like in some ways it may be better for us. We're not big into crowds, partying or laying on beaches. We like to see new places, visit historical sites, eat good food, drink delicious wine and go a bit off the beaten path. Tricky since it is both of our first visits to Greece and we'd like to see some of the more well-known places as well!
I'm not sure how travel to and from all of these places would be in early November or what the best route/order may be. Also interested if we're missing something spectacular, are trying to do too much or aren't spending enough time in any one place.
Here's the wish list:
Athens: 4 days
- Marathon run
- Acropolis museum
- Dionysius Theatre
- Lycabettus Hill
- Flea Market – Sunday
- Central Market
- Outdoor cinema (are any open in November?)
Fly or rent a car and drive 5 hours to Meteora, hike, visit monasteries. (X days?)
Return to Athens. (I looked, but couldn't find a car rental place near Meteora to drive one way, drop off the car and fly back. True?)
Take a ferry or fly to Santorini (3 days)
Take a ferry to Naxos (3 days)
Fly back to Athens and catch a connecting flight home.
I hope I've provided enough info to give you an idea of what we're looking for.
Thanks in advance for your insights and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 2 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 3 First Solo Adventure
- 4 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 5 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 6 PARIS
- 7 Towns around Lucca
- 8 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 9 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 10 Airline to Rome
- 11 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 12 Georgia in 4 days
- 13 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 14 Trains in Italy
- 15 Dublin Luggage storage
- 16 Italy with baby - where to go?
- 17 Croatia short sail trip
- 18 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 19 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 20 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 21 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 22 Alitala
- 23 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 24 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 25 Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest