We're traveling to Granada in September for a few days before heading to Madrid. I know it's been asked before, but wanted to get a little more detail on the choice between flying or taking the train from Granada and Madrid. Besides the obvious question of which do you recommend, a few other questions that may help us with the decision:
- are Iberia flights out of Granada pretty reliable or are there lots of delays?
- Granada appears to have a farily small airport, so is it fair to assume we can get to the airport an hour before departure time and be fine?
- finally, we're unsure if we are carrying on or checking in bags. We should (hopefully) have 2 carry-on sized bags only, but any thoughts if Iberia is very strict on checkins? and is there long baggage waits at Madrid?
We're coming from NYC, and given the need to get through security, plus delays, flying out of LaGuardia or JFK can take a lot longer than expected. It looks like the Granada - Madrid train is ~4.5 hrs, so I'm guessing hotel to hotel is about 6 hrs. And the flight is ~1 hour, so I'm guessing door to door ~3.5 hrs, assuming no delays (assuming centrally located hotels)?
We unfortunately have limited time in Spain so 4-5 hours can make a difference for us - any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 2 Valencia Spain
- 3 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 4 Language to use in Belgium
- 5 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 6 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 7 Germany-Car or Train
- 8 Visiting Zurich
- 9 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 10 Brussels flower tapestry
- 11 Cape Sounion en route to Airport?
- 12 Places to visit from Zurich
- 13 SURPRISE TRIP
- 14 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 15 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 16 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 17 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 18 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 19 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 20 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 21 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 22 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 23 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 24 thoughts on my itenerary France and Italy
- 25 Europe for Beginners