We're traveling to Granada in September for a few days before heading to Madrid. I know it's been asked before, but wanted to get a little more detail on the choice between flying or taking the train from Granada and Madrid. Besides the obvious question of which do you recommend, a few other questions that may help us with the decision:
- are Iberia flights out of Granada pretty reliable or are there lots of delays?
- Granada appears to have a farily small airport, so is it fair to assume we can get to the airport an hour before departure time and be fine?
- finally, we're unsure if we are carrying on or checking in bags. We should (hopefully) have 2 carry-on sized bags only, but any thoughts if Iberia is very strict on checkins? and is there long baggage waits at Madrid?
We're coming from NYC, and given the need to get through security, plus delays, flying out of LaGuardia or JFK can take a lot longer than expected. It looks like the Granada - Madrid train is ~4.5 hrs, so I'm guessing hotel to hotel is about 6 hrs. And the flight is ~1 hour, so I'm guessing door to door ~3.5 hrs, assuming no delays (assuming centrally located hotels)?
We unfortunately have limited time in Spain so 4-5 hours can make a difference for us - any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 2 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 3 Trip Report: 17 glorious days in Northern Spain
- 4 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 5 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 6 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 7 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 8 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 9 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 10 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 11 PARIS
- 12 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 13 London vacation rental agency
- 14 Sicily help
- 15 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 16 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 17 Christmas markets
- 18 Airline to Rome
- 19 SE ITALY
- 20 monograms vacation tours
- 21 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 22 Towns around Lucca
- 23 Thinking about the Fjords
- 24 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 25 Where??-2 night trip from London