We're traveling to Granada in September for a few days before heading to Madrid. I know it's been asked before, but wanted to get a little more detail on the choice between flying or taking the train from Granada and Madrid. Besides the obvious question of which do you recommend, a few other questions that may help us with the decision:
- are Iberia flights out of Granada pretty reliable or are there lots of delays?
- Granada appears to have a farily small airport, so is it fair to assume we can get to the airport an hour before departure time and be fine?
- finally, we're unsure if we are carrying on or checking in bags. We should (hopefully) have 2 carry-on sized bags only, but any thoughts if Iberia is very strict on checkins? and is there long baggage waits at Madrid?
We're coming from NYC, and given the need to get through security, plus delays, flying out of LaGuardia or JFK can take a lot longer than expected. It looks like the Granada - Madrid train is ~4.5 hrs, so I'm guessing hotel to hotel is about 6 hrs. And the flight is ~1 hour, so I'm guessing door to door ~3.5 hrs, assuming no delays (assuming centrally located hotels)?
We unfortunately have limited time in Spain so 4-5 hours can make a difference for us - any thoughts on any of the above would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 2 Back from Paris
- 3 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 4 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 5 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 6 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 7 Another tipping question: concierges
- 8 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 9 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 10 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Luggage Storage
- 13 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 14 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 15 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 16 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 17 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 18 Trip suggestion
- 19 Spain in July
- 20 Summer Travel order
- 21 LIsbon
- 22 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 23 Corfu
- 24 Chios and Mesta Chios
- 25 Copenhagen to Stockholm