Germany is a country I once lived in and is a country I want to return to. Unfortunately, however, I did not see as much as I wanted when living there. Nonetheless, along with the beer, wine and nature, I was enchanted by my visits to Hamburg, Heidelberg, Lubeck, Hamburg and even Berlin. They are all very pretty towns/cities, albeit Berlin is a never-ending construction sight. For whatever reason, I was not really enchanted by Munich, but then again, I didn’t give the city a fair chance. So, I plan on returning. Anyway, like always, I have selected too many places to consider visiting. I know Germany is a relatively large country, but still, I am sure not all the destinations below are cream-of-the-crop. So, which destinations from the list below do you rank as cream-of-the crop versus only nice ‘if you’re in the area’ and ‘nothing extraordinary’?:
1. Stralsund (northeast coastal small town)
2. Wismar (northern coastal small town)
3. Marburg (university town)
4. Freiburg (Black Forest town)
5. Tubingen (university town)
6. Bamberg (small north Bavarian town)
7. Regensburg (central Bavarian town)
8. Romantic Road (road linking villages, palaces, vineyards, etc.)
On a side note, is it possible, practical and pleasant to do the Romantic Road as a 1-day excursion from Munich (considering that I have already seen Wieskirche and Ludwig’s grand castle)? If so, then how long is the drive (duration and kilometers) to the entry point of the Romantic Road? Is it possible to do this via an organized bus excursion or should I drive? I know that I want to stop in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl. However, I am wary of Wurzburg. Is the town as a whole among Germany’s prettiest or is it predominantly that residenz palace that draws in the crowds?
Germany’s Prettiest Towns & Cities
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 2 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 3 4 night stay for 5 in interlaken
- 4 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 5 Itinerary Help!
- 6 Ony 3-4 nights in Ortigia, priorities?????????
- 7 Greek Island Chartering Yacht with Skipper?
- 8 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 9 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 10 Scotland
- 11 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 12 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 13 7-8 days in Greece HELP!
- 14 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 15 Lots of help needed- First time going to Italy- Itinerary suggestions
- 16 christmas lunch or dinner munich 2014
- 17 Ireland with a Northern Twist
- 18 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 19 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 20 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 21 Looking for advice on hotels in Paris
- 22 Street food in Turkey
- 23 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 24 Valencia Fallas GTG March 17th 1 pm Hotel Melia Plaza
- 25 Toulouse and beyond -