Germany is a country I once lived in and is a country I want to return to. Unfortunately, however, I did not see as much as I wanted when living there. Nonetheless, along with the beer, wine and nature, I was enchanted by my visits to Hamburg, Heidelberg, Lubeck, Hamburg and even Berlin. They are all very pretty towns/cities, albeit Berlin is a never-ending construction sight. For whatever reason, I was not really enchanted by Munich, but then again, I didn’t give the city a fair chance. So, I plan on returning. Anyway, like always, I have selected too many places to consider visiting. I know Germany is a relatively large country, but still, I am sure not all the destinations below are cream-of-the-crop. So, which destinations from the list below do you rank as cream-of-the crop versus only nice ‘if you’re in the area’ and ‘nothing extraordinary’?:
1. Stralsund (northeast coastal small town)
2. Wismar (northern coastal small town)
3. Marburg (university town)
4. Freiburg (Black Forest town)
5. Tubingen (university town)
6. Bamberg (small north Bavarian town)
7. Regensburg (central Bavarian town)
8. Romantic Road (road linking villages, palaces, vineyards, etc.)
On a side note, is it possible, practical and pleasant to do the Romantic Road as a 1-day excursion from Munich (considering that I have already seen Wieskirche and Ludwig’s grand castle)? If so, then how long is the drive (duration and kilometers) to the entry point of the Romantic Road? Is it possible to do this via an organized bus excursion or should I drive? I know that I want to stop in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl. However, I am wary of Wurzburg. Is the town as a whole among Germany’s prettiest or is it predominantly that residenz palace that draws in the crowds?
Germany’s Prettiest Towns & Cities
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 2 Golfing in Ireland
- 3 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 4 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 5 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 6 Eatwith - dine with locals
- 7 What still confounds you about travel?
- 8 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 9 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 10 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 11 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 12 Santorini
- 13 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 14 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 15 Foie gras, redux
- 16 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 17 Questions for my German friends
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 20 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 21 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 22 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 23 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 24 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 25 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?