Germany is a country I once lived in and is a country I want to return to. Unfortunately, however, I did not see as much as I wanted when living there. Nonetheless, along with the beer, wine and nature, I was enchanted by my visits to Hamburg, Heidelberg, Lubeck, Hamburg and even Berlin. They are all very pretty towns/cities, albeit Berlin is a never-ending construction sight. For whatever reason, I was not really enchanted by Munich, but then again, I didn’t give the city a fair chance. So, I plan on returning. Anyway, like always, I have selected too many places to consider visiting. I know Germany is a relatively large country, but still, I am sure not all the destinations below are cream-of-the-crop. So, which destinations from the list below do you rank as cream-of-the crop versus only nice ‘if you’re in the area’ and ‘nothing extraordinary’?:
1. Stralsund (northeast coastal small town)
2. Wismar (northern coastal small town)
3. Marburg (university town)
4. Freiburg (Black Forest town)
5. Tubingen (university town)
6. Bamberg (small north Bavarian town)
7. Regensburg (central Bavarian town)
8. Romantic Road (road linking villages, palaces, vineyards, etc.)
On a side note, is it possible, practical and pleasant to do the Romantic Road as a 1-day excursion from Munich (considering that I have already seen Wieskirche and Ludwig’s grand castle)? If so, then how long is the drive (duration and kilometers) to the entry point of the Romantic Road? Is it possible to do this via an organized bus excursion or should I drive? I know that I want to stop in Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl. However, I am wary of Wurzburg. Is the town as a whole among Germany’s prettiest or is it predominantly that residenz palace that draws in the crowds?
Germany’s Prettiest Towns & Cities
- 1 Euro Train
- 2 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 3 Backpacking Europe beginners questions!
- 4 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 5 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 6 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 7 Turkey Experts: Need Itinerary help - mostly with order of trip
- 8 Trip around Spain
- 9 Spain - Andalucia
- 10 Crete - trip report - 3 weeks May 2013, a great and surprising trip!
- 11 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 12 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 13 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 14 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 15 Travelling from Venice to the Cinque Terre towns.
- 16 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 17 One more last question on Bayeux
- 18 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 19 Medieval Tallinn
- 20 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 21 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 22 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 23 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 24 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 25 Italian language schools