May trip through Germany/Austria 2014
Nov 03, 2013, 10:32 AM
Good morning!! After taking a river cruise on the Danube with friends next spring, my husband and I are planning a trip together through some of the areas of Germany. Here is a brief synopsis of our tentative itinerary with lots of questions we have:
May 17 leave Nuremberg and go to Rothenburg: Should we travel by train or rent a car?
Spend the 17 and 18 in the Rothenburg area: suggestions as to where to stay?
May 19: drive some or all of the Romantic Road: suggestions? Is this worth it and what will or should we see along the way?
May 19 and 20: stay in Munich and see that city- would renting car be a good choice or should we wait until right before we leave Munich. Can you see any of this area by train so would that be a better choice? Suggestions as to where to stay in Munich- mid priced hotel $150-$250 per night?
Leave Munich area and go to Salzburg: again a train or car?
Stay in Salzburg/Halstatt for 3 nights: suggestions as to places to stay and what to see and do??
May 24- go to the Fussen/Reutte area to see castles and other sights. What are the must see and do attractions in this area?
May 25- considering Lindau or some other place in the Lake Constance area- suggestions?
Any ideas on traveling the AlpenstraBe Road? Is it worth it?
Where to stay between Salzburg and Lindau?
May 26- leave the Lindau area and we will need a place to stay between Lindau and Mainz.
suggestions? What about Ulm?
We are considering seeing some of the Black Forest- buying a cuckoo clock How and should we spend time in this area?
We are considering taking the day Rhine cruise once we get up to that area- suggestions as to where to get on, off, what to see, etc. Is it worth the five hours? Some people have suggested taking the river cruise one way and the train back. Good idea?
What about Karlsruhe and Mannheim?
We will go the the Frankfurt area on the 29 and fly home to Illinois on May 30.
These are just some of our ideas after doing some research about some areas we are excited to see but know little about. We are open to any and all other alternative ideas, places to stay, and sights to see- even places to stop and eat along the way. We definitely to figure out if we want ot rent a car part of the way, all of the way, or take the train at some point.
Any help with some or all of this will be so very appreciated. Here is my email address if you would prefer that: email@example.com
Thank you so much!!! Melissa
German/yAustria trip next May
May trip through Germany/Austria 2014
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 2 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 3 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 4 First Time to UK since 2001
- 5 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 6 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 7 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 8 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 9 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 10 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 11 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 12 Brussels or Amsterdam?
- 13 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 14 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 15 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 16 Spain-Would appreciate input on itinerary
- 17 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 18 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 19 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 20 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 21 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 22 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 23 Five-Star Trip on a Three-Star Budget
- 24 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 25 Sweden, Denmark, Norway