I am planning a 3 week trip for my mom, my young boys, and me to Germany this summer or next. We spent 4 weeks there last summer and visited quite a bit, so I am looking to stay put in one area this next trip.
We thoroughly enjoyed the Chiemgau area and that is probably top of our list. We also enjoyed the Harz very much and were enchanted with Garmish-Partenkirchen, Grainau. Freiburg was also very lovely.
I am looking for the following: A place to stay that gives us day trip options that are fairly close (we will no doubt have a car), a charming Altstadt, lots of nature, and a lake or two for the boys to swim in.
I know that sounds open ended, but I'd like to avoid the bigger cities.....I've seen and done them all. We've spent considerable amount of time near Dresden, Munich, etc.
We would even consider places in Austria. Any thoughts? I have been searching vacation homes, etc, but maybe there are some areas I am not considering that would fit the bill.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Yankees vs Astros
- 2 Barcelona alternative
- 3 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 Spanish Medical Providers
- 6 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 7 Paris to Italy
- 8 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 11 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 12 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 13 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 14 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 15 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 16 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 17 9 Days in Spain
- 18 Road trip with our dog
- 19 Frankfurt to UK
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 22 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 23 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 24 Electrical Power Conversion
- 25 Douro Valley in January?