I am planning a 3 week trip for my mom, my young boys, and me to Germany this summer or next. We spent 4 weeks there last summer and visited quite a bit, so I am looking to stay put in one area this next trip.
We thoroughly enjoyed the Chiemgau area and that is probably top of our list. We also enjoyed the Harz very much and were enchanted with Garmish-Partenkirchen, Grainau. Freiburg was also very lovely.
I am looking for the following: A place to stay that gives us day trip options that are fairly close (we will no doubt have a car), a charming Altstadt, lots of nature, and a lake or two for the boys to swim in.
I know that sounds open ended, but I'd like to avoid the bigger cities.....I've seen and done them all. We've spent considerable amount of time near Dresden, Munich, etc.
We would even consider places in Austria. Any thoughts? I have been searching vacation homes, etc, but maybe there are some areas I am not considering that would fit the bill.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 2 Spain in July
- 3 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 4 Meteora for older folk
- 5 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 6 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 7 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 8 Train help for Prague
- 9 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 10 Athens
- 11 We're here!
- 12 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 13 Petrol in Greece
- 14 Germany train help!
- 15 Hotels for 6 25 year old guys - Paris and London
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 18 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 19 Budapest & Prague
- 20 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 21 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 22 Paris day trips August
- 23 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 24 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 25 Acorn TV