My wife and I are clear on which areas we would like to visit and base ourselves out of on our trip to Germany and Switzerland in the last week of September/first week of October, but need some advice on logistics getting from Bavaria to Bernese Oberland. Our high level itinerary is as follows:
Fly into Salzburg
3 nights in Bertchesgaden
2 nights in Mittenwald
3 nights in Wengen
Fly out of Zurich
Plan to rent car while in Bavaria, but what would be best train(s) to get from Bavaria to Interlaken? Which city in Bavaria would be best to pickup train from as we are flexible in the order of regions I have listed? We prefer least amount of train changes and the overnight train to save a day of sightseeing, convenience is preferred over best price. We could also fly into Munich rather than Salzburg if that worked better.
Also, we understand Ocktoberfest will be happening during these weeks. Should I be concerned about that if we don’t plan to spend much if any time in Munich?
Thanks so much in advice for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 2 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 3 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 4 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 5 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 6 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 7 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 8 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 9 Madrid & Andalusia in 6 days??
- 10 4 days each in London and Paris
- 11 A few more questions about Brittany
- 12 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 13 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 14 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 15 Switzerland in September
- 16 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 17 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 18 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 19 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 20 To drive a rental around the Amalfi Coast or just use public transport....
- 21 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 22 Positano or Sorrento?
- 23 Paris in November
- 24 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 25 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes