My wife and I are clear on which areas we would like to visit and base ourselves out of on our trip to Germany and Switzerland in the last week of September/first week of October, but need some advice on logistics getting from Bavaria to Bernese Oberland. Our high level itinerary is as follows:
Fly into Salzburg
3 nights in Bertchesgaden
2 nights in Mittenwald
3 nights in Wengen
Fly out of Zurich
Plan to rent car while in Bavaria, but what would be best train(s) to get from Bavaria to Interlaken? Which city in Bavaria would be best to pickup train from as we are flexible in the order of regions I have listed? We prefer least amount of train changes and the overnight train to save a day of sightseeing, convenience is preferred over best price. We could also fly into Munich rather than Salzburg if that worked better.
Also, we understand Ocktoberfest will be happening during these weeks. Should I be concerned about that if we don’t plan to spend much if any time in Munich?
Thanks so much in advice for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 2 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 3 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 4 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 5 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 9 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 10 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 11 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 12 Bruges
- 13 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 14 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 15 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 16 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 17 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 18 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 19 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 20 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 21 Planning A trip
- 22 A week in the Occitanie
- 23 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 24 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 25 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba