My husband has a business trip to Poland in late Nov/ early Dec, so we are adding a week to the beginning of the trip and making a vacation of it. My husband has been to Germany numerous times but always for work so he's not done any sightseeing to speak of. I've not been to Germany so for me this is a first time visit.
We are flying in and out of Munich. Our plans for the personal vacation portion of the trip is to arrive Munich on Sat morning Nov 23 and depart Munich on Sun Dec 1. These plans are in the formation stage. My plan is to get some advise from the Fodor experts - You - and continue my planning from there.
Here's my question: I know the weather in Nov/Dec in Germany is not going to be optimal. Having said that, last Nov we went to Paris, when everyone discouraged us due to undesirable weather, and we very much enjoyed it - dispute the less than perfect temps What we liked best, were the lack of crowds. We are thinking the same will be true for Germany/Bavaria. So do you think a trip to Germany/Bavaria in late Nov is worthwhile?
Here's a VERY VERY preliminary start to our plans. I have LOTS to fill in but didn't want to waste the time putting more work into it if everyone said we were CRAZY to go in late Nov/early Dec.
Fly into Munich - spend 2 days in Munich including Dachua, city center, brew pub, etc...
Depart Munich and begin a Rad Trip (we can rent a car if it's recommended or take the train or a combo of both) to include these sights (these are all MAYBE's - looking for input from you all on what is a MUST SEE and what can be missed given we only have a week and we'd prefer a leisurely road trip to one where we are racing to get to the next sight).
Schloss Herrenchimesee (note, we visited Versailles in Paris and although it was beautiful we would have preferred doing something different w/ that 1/2 day)
Salzbergwek (salt mines)
Salzberg including possibly Reit im Winki
St. Gilgen to Strobl bike riding?
Lodge in Partenkirchen for 2 nights and see the surrounding area - even consider a 3rd night so we have time to go skiing?
That's as much as I've done so far. Our goal is to visit little Alpine Villages - lodge in cozy inns/lodges that have Alpine character, eat in local restaurants and drink in local pubs. We also want to see the beautiful landscapes of the mountains, lakes, woods, etc...BUT, as much as we prefer small villages and nature, I feel as though we shouldn't miss Salzberg - thoughts?
A little about us to help: We are active so doing things like boat rides, hikes thru the forests or mountains, climbing to castles, walking tours, biking, jogging thru a park, etc...all interest us. My husband's heritage is German so he wants to experience the German culture - food, beer (even German wine if there's anything good in the Southern part of the Country), and German folklore or whatever else is recommended. When we were in Ireland we experienced Irish pubs and Irish dance at an Irish castle - that was fun. When we were in Paris, we rented a guide and bikes and rode thru "off the beaten path" hamlets and villages in the French countryside for an entire day - that was one of the highlights of our trip for sure. In Italy, our favorite lodging was in Tuscany - we loved being in the little Tuscan villages and staying in the hidden gem Inns. So much character ...
We are looking for recommendations on where to spend our time on the road trip. We will begin and end in Munich at the Marriott but aside from that we are open to any suggestions. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on Lodging, Dining, Must See Sights, Must Do Activities, please advise.
Once I get the thumbs up that Nov/Dec is an okay time to go to Germany/Bavaria, I'll be spending more time on developing the itinerary, as well.
Thanks so much for your help,
Germany - Munich/Bavaria area
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 2 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 3 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 4 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 5 London neighborhood suggestions
- 6 What to wear
- 7 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 8 Draft itinerary - Portugal, Andalucia, Morocco
- 9 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 10 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 11 3 weeks in Europe
- 12 DH wants Paris but I need ACoast....itinerary help!
- 13 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 14 Solo Trip to Rome for Language School
- 15 Last minute Bordeaux restaurant suggestions - for 4/26-4/28
- 16 What to book ahead in Barcelona?
- 17 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 18 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 19 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 20 Northern Italy itinerary critique - please
- 21 Wisdom needed for a itinerary in northern Italy, Bavaria and Prague
- 22 Dublin Airport Hotel : Located at the airport, not close by
- 23 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 24 Daytrip From istanbul: IZNIK (NICEA)
- 25 Ireland Southwest