i am in the initial planning stages for a trip to Germany this September/October. my boyfriend and i want a laid back vacation and sightseeing trip. we have both traveled internationally, with others and solo, so we are experienced travelers. we are budget travelers and would like to keep the entire trip under $5k (well under, if possible!). my BF has never been to Germany or Austria and would like to see some of both. i'd like to revisit Strasbourg, Garmisch and Lichtenstein if possible (haven't been there since i was a kid). i also think he'd enjoy the Mosel region as well as the Black Forest. we are planning to rent a car (he wants to drive the autobahn). so my questions are:
1 - how much of Germany and the other listed countries can we see without exhausting ourselves?
2 - are there any highlights in western Germany and western Austria that shouldn't be missed, especially by a first time visitor?
3 - since he's never been to Germany, i want to be sure to hit at least one big city with a good history museum or two - which western German cities would you recommend?
4 - which airport(s) should we fly into and out of, considering the areas we want to see? for instance, is it reasonable to consider flying into MUC and out of ZUR?
i'd rather start off at a good clip and end on a slower note, if that helps. i'd also like to spend less than 2-3 hours in the car at one time. we could consider a longer day of driving if it means less driving on the other days, though. and i plan to book B&Bs for lodging.
i know this isn't all that much to go on, but i thank you for your comments and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London Hotels
- 2 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 3 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 4 Denmark or Sweden?
- 5 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 6 Europe itinerary questions
- 7 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 8 Amsterdam hotels
- 9 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 10 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 11 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 12 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 13 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 14 Back from Paris
- 15 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 16 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 17 1 month in Europe
- 18 Paris hotels
- 19 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 20 10 days in Paris and......
- 21 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 22 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 23 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 24 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 25 London-Help Me Spend Money