i am in the initial planning stages for a trip to Germany this September/October. my boyfriend and i want a laid back vacation and sightseeing trip. we have both traveled internationally, with others and solo, so we are experienced travelers. we are budget travelers and would like to keep the entire trip under $5k (well under, if possible!). my BF has never been to Germany or Austria and would like to see some of both. i'd like to revisit Strasbourg, Garmisch and Lichtenstein if possible (haven't been there since i was a kid). i also think he'd enjoy the Mosel region as well as the Black Forest. we are planning to rent a car (he wants to drive the autobahn). so my questions are:
1 - how much of Germany and the other listed countries can we see without exhausting ourselves?
2 - are there any highlights in western Germany and western Austria that shouldn't be missed, especially by a first time visitor?
3 - since he's never been to Germany, i want to be sure to hit at least one big city with a good history museum or two - which western German cities would you recommend?
4 - which airport(s) should we fly into and out of, considering the areas we want to see? for instance, is it reasonable to consider flying into MUC and out of ZUR?
i'd rather start off at a good clip and end on a slower note, if that helps. i'd also like to spend less than 2-3 hours in the car at one time. we could consider a longer day of driving if it means less driving on the other days, though. and i plan to book B&Bs for lodging.
i know this isn't all that much to go on, but i thank you for your comments and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy travel plan help
- 2 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 3 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 4 Budapest language lessons
- 5 Thinking about the Fjords
- 6 Tours in Wales
- 7 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 8 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 9 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 10 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 11 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 12 barcelona neighborhood
- 13 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 14 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 15 Alsace to Austria?
- 16 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 17 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 18 Shorts in South of France?
- 19 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 20 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 21 Late fall 2015 visit to Poland, Budapest and Amsterdam
- 22 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 23 Private Guide in Lyon
- 24 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 25 Budapest Card