I'm an American and have been living in Germany since 2008; last year, I got a German driver's license. This spring, I'll be in the US on vacation and will be driving.
I've seen many posts and recommendations that discuss how necessary/unnecessary it is to get an American driver's license translated when driving in Italy or France. Well, the chances that a French/Italian policeperson or rental agent will be able to read English is far, far better than the chances that an American officer or agent will be able to read German.
So, should I consider getting the German license translated into English? If so, who does it? ADAC?
I'm posting in the Europe Forum because I know there are German residents who post here frequently, and I'm not sure they will see this if I post it in the US Forum. So, for those who have used a German license in the US, how did it work?
German Driver's License in the US?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What do you think of this Paris apartment rental?
- 2 Shipping Prosecco
- 3 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 4 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?
- 5 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 6 Your favourite places in Bath
- 7 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 8 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 9 Italy and Croatia
- 10 Europe Tour with Kids
- 11 Venice: Vene, Vidi, but not even close to Vici
- 12 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 13 Lakes District UK
- 14 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 15 Kimhe--flamenco
- 16 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 17 My experiences in Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid, Segovia & Toledo
- 18 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 19 Life Jackets on Gondolas in Venice?
- 20 Italy 14 days
- 21 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 22 One night Athens-what area to stay in.?
- 23 Best way to get from paris to florence?
- 24 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 25 Venice Apartment on Canal for Three Canadian Ladies