I'm very excited to be leaving for our 7 week trip to Europe very soon! For the first 3 weeks my husband will be with us, but after that it's just me and my girls, ages 11 and 8. We have a busy itinerary, that fortunately includes visiting some wonderful friends along the way.
I've traveled to Europe many times, and we lived as a family in France a few years ago, so I'd say we're fairly experienced travelers. My daughters are very easy going and adapt quickly, and they too are looking forward to this trip.
That said, I seem to keep reading more and more about an increase in pickpockets and group gangs in the major European cities (esp here on Fodors!). My good friend who lives in Paris said theft has gotten much worse over the last few years. I know the basics (money belt, cross body bag, don't leave iphone on a table, etc...), but I'm wondering if anyone has more suggestions? What do to, not do sort of thing? I've been surrounded by Roma before, and was able to push them off (and all my stuff was safe), but if that were to happen to my kid...that would be scary for a child.
Should I let my older daughter carry a purse (cross body)...should she bring her ipod? Any tips on what to do in case of separation, what to tell kids in general about staying safe?? I know it's no different than here in the US (the same speech I give when we go into NYC), but still if others have experience here, especially given language barriers, etc., I'd greatly appreciate it!
Since I'll be alone with my girls for a majority of the trip, I'm feeling much more concerned about safety than when I travel alone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Glasgow, Scotland excursions.
- 2 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 8 Days in Spain
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 8 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 9 Amsterdam
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 12 Scenic cruise advice
- 13 Barcelona alternative
- 14 Italy Car Scam
- 15 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 16 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 17 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 18 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 19 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 20 God Save the Queen?
- 21 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 22 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 23 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 24 Iceland early december visit
- 25 Paris to Italy