I've been wrestling with this (delightful!) problem for a few days, and I think I may be stuck in a rut. I can't think my way out of it.
The (delightful) problem: I have a trip planned in Paris in November, and I live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. I want to arrive in Paris no later than noon; since there are no longer any overnight trains from Munich to Paris, and since I've wanted to see Brugge for a few years, I thought I'd go there for a few nights before Paris. Then, it's just a 3h trip from Brugge to Paris.
I'll be returning from Paris to Garmisch by train, with a friend.
The train trip from Garmisch to Brugge takes 10h30, arriving around 19.30. Would cost around 100€, first class. I really would like to arrive earlier in the day since I've only given myself 2 nights there.
Flying one-way from Munich to Brussels will cost around 600€, or take several changes of planes and get me into Brugge around 20.00.
Night train from Munich to Amsterdam (about 270€ for a private sleeper, then 4h train to Brugge, about 80€). Love night trains, and it would get me into Brugge by noon. But it seems an extravagant and convoluted solution.
I'm thinking the two best solutions are 1) the night train to Amsterdam + onward train (total cost around 300€) or 2) the 10h30 day train + another night in Brugge (total cost would then be 200€).
Any thoughts? Anything I'm overlooking?
Thanks for any insights.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 2 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 6 Barcelona alternative
- 7 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 11 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 12 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 13 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 14 Paris to Italy
- 15 Electrical Power Conversion
- 16 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 17 Douro Valley in January?
- 18 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 19 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 20 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 23 London Under the Path: Riding the Underground Mail Rail Line
- 24 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 25 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete