My fiancé and I are traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and will be spending the first four nights in the Italian Lake District. We are flying into Milan (get in around noon) and are traveling to the lake via public transportation (trains/buses/ferries).
Currently we are trying to decide between traveling to Lake Como (the town of Bellagio, Residence La Limonera) or Lake Garda (the town of Gargnano, Hotel du Lac). I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the two options.
We are medical students without a huge budget, so finding the right hotel (romantic, clean, good view but not too spend) has been a bit limiting, but I like both of the options I have found.
I am now torn between the two! We like good food, pretty walks and a bit of sight seeing.
I know that Bellagio is supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Europe, but I am a bit turned off by all of the reports of how touristy (particularly American-touristy) the area has become. I love the hotel I have found in Gargnano, and think the town looks quite cute, but I am afraid that we are missing out on Lake Como.
We would like to take day trips to different locations along with spending some time relaxing.
I would love any input on the atmosphere of the two areas along with the possibilities for day trips to other places.
Additionally if anyone has advice on great hotels or B&Bs under 150 Euros a night in the lake district, that would also be fabulous!
We are traveling the second week of May.
Thanks a bunch!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 2 Tips on our visit to Edinburgh, Glencoe, Skye
- 3 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 4 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 5 24 hours in Paris
- 6 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 7 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 8 tickets for Wimbledon
- 9 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 10 Hotel Recommendations in Paris
- 11 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 12 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 13 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 14 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 15 Happy birthday ATM
- 16 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 17 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 18 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 19 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 20 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 21 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 22 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 23 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 24 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 25 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy