My fiancé and I are traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and will be spending the first four nights in the Italian Lake District. We are flying into Milan (get in around noon) and are traveling to the lake via public transportation (trains/buses/ferries).
Currently we are trying to decide between traveling to Lake Como (the town of Bellagio, Residence La Limonera) or Lake Garda (the town of Gargnano, Hotel du Lac). I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the two options.
We are medical students without a huge budget, so finding the right hotel (romantic, clean, good view but not too spend) has been a bit limiting, but I like both of the options I have found.
I am now torn between the two! We like good food, pretty walks and a bit of sight seeing.
I know that Bellagio is supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Europe, but I am a bit turned off by all of the reports of how touristy (particularly American-touristy) the area has become. I love the hotel I have found in Gargnano, and think the town looks quite cute, but I am afraid that we are missing out on Lake Como.
We would like to take day trips to different locations along with spending some time relaxing.
I would love any input on the atmosphere of the two areas along with the possibilities for day trips to other places.
Additionally if anyone has advice on great hotels or B&Bs under 150 Euros a night in the lake district, that would also be fabulous!
We are traveling the second week of May.
Thanks a bunch!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 2 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 3 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 4 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 5 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 6 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 7 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 8 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 9 38 Days in Paris
- 10 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 11 Naxos car rental
- 12 Greek Islands (small)
- 13 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 14 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 15 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 18 Things to do in Brussels
- 19 Short Trip in July
- 20 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 21 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 22 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 23 Recommendations for Wiesbaden
- 24 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 25 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?