My fiancé and I are traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and will be spending the first four nights in the Italian Lake District. We are flying into Milan (get in around noon) and are traveling to the lake via public transportation (trains/buses/ferries).
Currently we are trying to decide between traveling to Lake Como (the town of Bellagio, Residence La Limonera) or Lake Garda (the town of Gargnano, Hotel du Lac). I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the two options.
We are medical students without a huge budget, so finding the right hotel (romantic, clean, good view but not too spend) has been a bit limiting, but I like both of the options I have found.
I am now torn between the two! We like good food, pretty walks and a bit of sight seeing.
I know that Bellagio is supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Europe, but I am a bit turned off by all of the reports of how touristy (particularly American-touristy) the area has become. I love the hotel I have found in Gargnano, and think the town looks quite cute, but I am afraid that we are missing out on Lake Como.
We would like to take day trips to different locations along with spending some time relaxing.
I would love any input on the atmosphere of the two areas along with the possibilities for day trips to other places.
Additionally if anyone has advice on great hotels or B&Bs under 150 Euros a night in the lake district, that would also be fabulous!
We are traveling the second week of May.
Thanks a bunch!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Tucany / Southern Emilia-Romagna / Cinc Terre What to Do?
- 2 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 3 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 4 Bath/Cotswolds
- 5 Reports on trekking in Iceland
- 6 Best coffeeshop in Amsterdam for a noob?
- 7 Thinking about the Fjords
- 8 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 9 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 10 Globus Iberian Tour
- 11 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 12 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 13 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 14 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 15 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 16 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 17 Poland to Austria In December
- 18 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 19 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 20 Suggestions for 3 greek islands
- 21 Tracking the Weather
- 22 Shorts in South of France?
- 23 2 weeks in the Balkans
- 24 Spain: train/rental car help
- 25 A bit overwhelmed!!!