My fiancé and I are traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and will be spending the first four nights in the Italian Lake District. We are flying into Milan (get in around noon) and are traveling to the lake via public transportation (trains/buses/ferries).
Currently we are trying to decide between traveling to Lake Como (the town of Bellagio, Residence La Limonera) or Lake Garda (the town of Gargnano, Hotel du Lac). I am having a lot of trouble deciding between the two options.
We are medical students without a huge budget, so finding the right hotel (romantic, clean, good view but not too spend) has been a bit limiting, but I like both of the options I have found.
I am now torn between the two! We like good food, pretty walks and a bit of sight seeing.
I know that Bellagio is supposed to be one of the prettiest places in Europe, but I am a bit turned off by all of the reports of how touristy (particularly American-touristy) the area has become. I love the hotel I have found in Gargnano, and think the town looks quite cute, but I am afraid that we are missing out on Lake Como.
We would like to take day trips to different locations along with spending some time relaxing.
I would love any input on the atmosphere of the two areas along with the possibilities for day trips to other places.
Additionally if anyone has advice on great hotels or B&Bs under 150 Euros a night in the lake district, that would also be fabulous!
We are traveling the second week of May.
Thanks a bunch!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cutback on Spain trip
- 2 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 3 where to stay in London?
- 4 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 5 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 6 Credit or debit card or cash in Europe
- 7 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 8 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 9 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 10 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 11 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 12 Croatia transportation question.
- 13 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 14 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 15 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 16 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 17 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 18 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 19 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 20 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 21 Itinerary help--Loire Valley and Brittany
- 22 Itinerary Help - Roadtrip North of Barcelona
- 23 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 24 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 25 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain