In May, my husband and I will have three nights free in between Lucca and Rome. We'd like to spend these 3 nights based in a Tuscan town to visit Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, and see a little bit of the beautiful Orcia Valley scenery. We do not plan to rent a car, we'll depend on buses or trains.
Is Siena a logical choice for home base to day-trip to Pienza and Montepulciano? If not, then where should we base ourselves on?
If we have extra time, in additional to Pienza and Montepulciano, which town would you recommend us to visit from our home base by bus?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 2 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 3 What tips can you give about packing?
- 4 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 5 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 6 Climbing Ben Nevis in June
- 7 Cascais or Algarve?
- 8 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 9 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 10 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 11 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 12 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 13 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 14 Azores
- 15 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 16 Madrid, Barcelona and .....
- 17 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 18 Scotland in 7 Days
- 19 Short Trip in July
- 20 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 21 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 22 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 23 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 24 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 25 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?