Hello Fodor friends!
It's a long story- but I've booked a flight that is scheduled to arrive at Fiumucino at 4:25pm on Saturday, April 30th and then I need to get on a train to Florence, as I've booked an apartment there.
A couple of questions:
1) If I come with carry-on only, what is the likely timeframe from landing until I can get on the Leonardo Express?
2) If I check luggage, then what is that timeframe likely to be?
(I've bought tickets on the 6:50pm Frecciarosa train to Florence from Termini.)
While I'm thinking I can make that, I'm still nervous that if I don't, I'm going to be arriving in Florence well after dark, and trying to find an apartment I've never been to before, in an area I'm not familiar with (Oltrarno). I should have given this more thought, but water under the bridge.
Now, I'm considering trying to save myself some stress and just get a hotel room in Rome for the night and go to Florence on Sunday morning. So, a couple of other questions if I do this:
1) Is there substantially more train traffic between the cities due to the holiday on 5/1? Or should I still be able to pick up a single ticket on Sunday morning?
2) Since the holiday falls on a Sunday this year, I'm wondering (and I will ask, but appreciate input) if my landlord will be less likely to want to "check me in" on a holiday than he would on a Saturday night (charging me an extra €20 already for checking in after 8pm).
I realize I will incur the extra expense of the hotel room and at the same time waste (lose) my one day of apartment rent. But that may be worth the reduction of stress I'm starting to feel.
Since I'm staying for 3 weeks, and working for a week of that, (thus needing to bring work laptop, etc), I'd like to take a bigger bag and check it. But then I think that if I do only carry-on, then I can get through Fiumicino much faster and increase the chances of making my train from Termini at 6:50.
All input appreciated!
thanks, fellow travelers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 2 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 3 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 4 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 5 Italy in a week
- 6 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 7 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 8 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 9 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 10 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 11 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 12 first time for teens in spain-barcelona and where else?
- 13 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 14 My special places in Europe
- 15 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 16 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 17 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 18 Weather in Budapest in late September
- 19 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 20 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 21 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 22 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 23 Travelling with Vueling?
- 24 Night Bus?
- 25 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
Hello Fodor friends!