I have a type D visa, "Long Sejour Temporaire", and it is valid until 29/05/15. With this visa, I didn't need to apply for a residence permit when I got to France. I would like to stay in France after the expiration date of my student visa, just to travel as a tourist for 2 months. I have read many articles about the tourist visa in the Schengen area, and I understand that a US citizen can stay for 90 out of 180 days as a tourist. If I leave France on the date of my student visa expiration date (and go to a non Schengen area country), and then re-enter a few days later, can I re-enter France as a tourist and stay for the 90 days later? I have spoken to the prefecture here in Lyon, and he has confirmed that this is possible. However, now I am wondering how long I need to be out of the country before I can return (the prefecture won't tell me directly how long I need to be out of the country for). I am planning on leaving for London on May 29th (the expiration date of my visa) and returning on May 31st. Also, do I need to apply for a tourist visa to return to France?
Please help me, I don't want to run into any problems at passport control!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 3 Revised itinerary for italy
- 4 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 5 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 6 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 7 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 8 If you had to choose one......
- 9 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 10 Amalfi Coast help
- 11 Paris Metro
- 12 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 13 A good book!!
- 14 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 15 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 16 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 17 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 18 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 19 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 20 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 21 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 22 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 23 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 24 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 25 CDG airport and connection time