I have a type D visa, "Long Sejour Temporaire", and it is valid until 29/05/15. With this visa, I didn't need to apply for a residence permit when I got to France. I would like to stay in France after the expiration date of my student visa, just to travel as a tourist for 2 months. I have read many articles about the tourist visa in the Schengen area, and I understand that a US citizen can stay for 90 out of 180 days as a tourist. If I leave France on the date of my student visa expiration date (and go to a non Schengen area country), and then re-enter a few days later, can I re-enter France as a tourist and stay for the 90 days later? I have spoken to the prefecture here in Lyon, and he has confirmed that this is possible. However, now I am wondering how long I need to be out of the country before I can return (the prefecture won't tell me directly how long I need to be out of the country for). I am planning on leaving for London on May 29th (the expiration date of my visa) and returning on May 31st. Also, do I need to apply for a tourist visa to return to France?
Please help me, I don't want to run into any problems at passport control!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 2 One free day in Barcelona
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 5 initial planning: Dublin, solo, February
- 6 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 7 Possible French strike on 9/21
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 10 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 11 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 12 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 13 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 14 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 15 Bordeaux to Nice
- 16 Greek Village
- 17 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 18 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 19 Uber vs. TfL
- 20 Berlin
- 21 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 22 Germany or Sweden
- 23 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 24 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 25 Two days in Rome