I recently returned from a lovely swing through the CHATEAU COUNTRY in the Loire Valley. The area is steeped in the history of the ongoing feud between France and England for over five centuries about sovereignty which brought about the bloody Hundred Years’ War.
Their claims from an article in the July 16, 2012 DAILY MAIL on line, “French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet” by Peter Allen:
1) "French city of Angers in Loire Valley provided some of the greatest monarchs in British history
2) "When Edward Plantagenet was murdered in Tower of London in 1499 house's legitimate male line came to an end
3) "City believes it is owed an apology – and 513 years' worth of compensation
4) "Sum would amount to billions in today's currency, but city is prepared to accept the coronation jewels”
The city of ANGERS, who is bringing the suit, is charming and appears prosperous, boasting a huge fortress like chateaux now under renovation. Obviously, they have hit upon a unique way to attract tourists, particularly their cousins from across the Channel.
We anxiously await the response from Her Majesty in her Jubilee Year…
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 2 Help with Ferries in Croatia
- 3 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 4 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 5 vienna
- 6 Questions about Polish sights
- 7 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 8 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 9 Bernina Express mid-March
- 10 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 13 Italy
- 14 4 days itinerary for France
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 17 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 18 Ireland travel passport question
- 19 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 20 where to stay in London?
- 21 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 22 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 23 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 24 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 25 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
French demand CROWN JEWELS from the Queen for 1499 murder...