I recently returned from a lovely swing through the CHATEAU COUNTRY in the Loire Valley. The area is steeped in the history of the ongoing feud between France and England for over five centuries about sovereignty which brought about the bloody Hundred Years’ War.
Their claims from an article in the July 16, 2012 DAILY MAIL on line, “French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet” by Peter Allen:
1) "French city of Angers in Loire Valley provided some of the greatest monarchs in British history
2) "When Edward Plantagenet was murdered in Tower of London in 1499 house's legitimate male line came to an end
3) "City believes it is owed an apology – and 513 years' worth of compensation
4) "Sum would amount to billions in today's currency, but city is prepared to accept the coronation jewels”
The city of ANGERS, who is bringing the suit, is charming and appears prosperous, boasting a huge fortress like chateaux now under renovation. Obviously, they have hit upon a unique way to attract tourists, particularly their cousins from across the Channel.
We anxiously await the response from Her Majesty in her Jubilee Year…
French demand CROWN JEWELS from the Queen for 1499 murder...
- 1 2 weeks of travel starting in Paris
- 2 Rome: Avoiding the long Colosseum ticket line/queue: Palatine Hill ticket office locations
- 3 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 4 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 5 Cuenca or Toledo
- 6 Air show in Paris, what to expect
- 7 York Food and Drink Festival
- 8 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 9 Backpacking through Europe
- 10 Hilton's in Vienna and Budapest
- 11 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 12 Paris metro
- 13 RHK's heading to Europe
- 14 Tennyson Home
- 15 Berlin Hotels
- 16 Bruges B&Bs
- 17 Four Days in Seville
- 18 Easyjet luggage/ baggage
- 19 Istanbul Hotels
- 20 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 21 Venice - getting to see inside the Arsenale.
- 22 Connection in Newark EWR
- 23 2 days in Frankfurt - where to stay -what to do - or straight to Paris
- 24 Help with itinerary going north from Dublin in early Sept.
- 25 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September