I recently returned from a lovely swing through the CHATEAU COUNTRY in the Loire Valley. The area is steeped in the history of the ongoing feud between France and England for over five centuries about sovereignty which brought about the bloody Hundred Years’ War.
Their claims from an article in the July 16, 2012 DAILY MAIL on line, “French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet” by Peter Allen:
1) "French city of Angers in Loire Valley provided some of the greatest monarchs in British history
2) "When Edward Plantagenet was murdered in Tower of London in 1499 house's legitimate male line came to an end
3) "City believes it is owed an apology – and 513 years' worth of compensation
4) "Sum would amount to billions in today's currency, but city is prepared to accept the coronation jewels”
The city of ANGERS, who is bringing the suit, is charming and appears prosperous, boasting a huge fortress like chateaux now under renovation. Obviously, they have hit upon a unique way to attract tourists, particularly their cousins from across the Channel.
We anxiously await the response from Her Majesty in her Jubilee Year…
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 9 Days in Spain
- 2 God Save the Queen?
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 5 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 8 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 9 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 10 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 13 Paris to Italy
- 14 Driving through Paris
- 15 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 16 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 17 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 18 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Road trip with our dog
- 21 Frankfurt to UK
- 22 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 23 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 24 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 25 Great Value Vacations - NOT
French demand CROWN JEWELS from the Queen for 1499 murder...