I recently returned from a lovely swing through the CHATEAU COUNTRY in the Loire Valley. The area is steeped in the history of the ongoing feud between France and England for over five centuries about sovereignty which brought about the bloody Hundred Years’ War.
Their claims from an article in the July 16, 2012 DAILY MAIL on line, “French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet” by Peter Allen:
1) "French city of Angers in Loire Valley provided some of the greatest monarchs in British history
2) "When Edward Plantagenet was murdered in Tower of London in 1499 house's legitimate male line came to an end
3) "City believes it is owed an apology – and 513 years' worth of compensation
4) "Sum would amount to billions in today's currency, but city is prepared to accept the coronation jewels”
The city of ANGERS, who is bringing the suit, is charming and appears prosperous, boasting a huge fortress like chateaux now under renovation. Obviously, they have hit upon a unique way to attract tourists, particularly their cousins from across the Channel.
We anxiously await the response from Her Majesty in her Jubilee Year…
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.ifirmationantiagingcream.com/testoultra-it/
- 2 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 3 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 4 Rouen Tour Companies
- 5 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 8 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 9 CDG much improved
- 10 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 11 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 12 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 13 Ronda Wine/biking
- 14 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 15 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 16 Italy bus or train
- 17 Ireland itinerary help please
- 18 May get together in Paris
- 19 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 20 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 21 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 22 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 23 Canal du Midi
- 24 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 25 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
French demand CROWN JEWELS from the Queen for 1499 murder...