French cafe offers discounts to polite customers
Sign outside Côte d'Azur establishment lists price of coffee as €7 but 'Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît' costs only €1.40
Kim Willsher in Paris
The Guardian, Wednesday 11 December 2013 13.28 GMT
Jump to comments (277)
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice. Photograph: NiceMatin Resistance via Twitter
A cafe on the French Riviera has gained international notoriety after reminding customers to mind their manners.
What started as a local joke generated an internet buzz this week after a diner tweeted the sign outside the Petite Syrah in Nice on the Côte d'Azur.
In an attempt to turn the tables on customers who complain that serving staff are rude, the manager warned he would hit impolite customers where it hurts, in the pocket.
A sign outside the establishment states:
"Un café - €7 [£5.90]
"Un café s'il vous plaît - €4.25
"Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît - €1.40."
Having lit the blue touchpaper, I shall now retire to a safe distance.....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 18-19 day Budapest -Croatia itinerary
- 2 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 3 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 4 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 5 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 6 Itinerary Help for Portugal
- 7 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 8 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 9 Berlin, Nice and London
- 10 charming cities in Spain
- 11 Seeking advice from Tuscany experts
- 12 Navigating England's Coast to Coast walk
- 13 Day in Madrid
- 14 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 15 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 16 Venice
- 17 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 18 Family vacation to europe
- 19 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 20 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 21 5 countries in 5 weeks - family trip
- 22 16 Day Europe Itenerary
- 23 Amsterdam Trip Report
- 24 Cotswolds, UK -10 days - end of May'17 move or central base
- 25 Please help with 12 days in England!