French cafe offers discounts to polite customers
Sign outside Côte d'Azur establishment lists price of coffee as €7 but 'Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît' costs only €1.40
Kim Willsher in Paris
The Guardian, Wednesday 11 December 2013 13.28 GMT
Jump to comments (277)
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice
The menu outside the Petite Syrah in Nice. Photograph: NiceMatin Resistance via Twitter
A cafe on the French Riviera has gained international notoriety after reminding customers to mind their manners.
What started as a local joke generated an internet buzz this week after a diner tweeted the sign outside the Petite Syrah in Nice on the Côte d'Azur.
In an attempt to turn the tables on customers who complain that serving staff are rude, the manager warned he would hit impolite customers where it hurts, in the pocket.
A sign outside the establishment states:
"Un café - €7 [£5.90]
"Un café s'il vous plaît - €4.25
"Bonjour, un café, s'il vous plaît - €1.40."
Having lit the blue touchpaper, I shall now retire to a safe distance.....
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 2 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 3 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 4 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 5 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 6 Studying art in English in venice
- 7 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 8 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 9 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 10 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 11 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 12 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 13 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 14 Berlin to ?
- 15 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 16 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 17 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 18 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 19 Trogir or Split
- 20 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 21 Scotland
- 22 Hotels in Turin
- 23 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 24 Istria in two days
- 25 Barcelona and Paris trip report