I'm planning a trip to the Pyrenees from Nov25 to Dec5 with my girlfriend. The very tentative, work-in-progress itinerary I've been working on has us flying into Barcelona, renting a car, and driving to Foix, France the next day. From there we're driving up to Toulouse to meet a friend for two days and then driving Southwest to another TBD small French town before crossing into Spain and going to Torla and possibly Arties or Taull (I figure about 4 days for this stuff. We need to have the car back in Barcelona around Dec1/Dec2 to board flight to Portugal for last leg). I'm really open to suggestions in terms of towns. We, stereotypically enough, favor the storybook villages (Hey, it's a couples trip—what do you expect?)
One of my major hang-ups is driving conditions in the Pyrenees this time of year. I've been reading that they can be quite treacherous, which gives me pause. I'm an experienced driver in the US but definitely not on difficult roads. Is traveling by road in the Pyrenees in late November a poor idea? Should I bump this trip up to the last week of October (which would be a little more complicated because of work)?
Appreciate any and all help.
Less Naive American in Training
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 2 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 3 PARIS
- 4 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 5 Dublin Luggage storage
- 6 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 7 Any reviews on Fires de Sant Narcis, Girona?
- 8 Airline to Rome
- 9 First Solo Adventure
- 10 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 11 Towns around Lucca
- 12 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 13 Spain: train/rental car help
- 14 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 15 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 16 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 17 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 18 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 19 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 20 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 21 Duoro Valley - Train from Regua to Pocinho
- 22 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 23 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 24 Georgia in 4 days
- 25 Trains in Italy