My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 2 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 3 Help with Ireland Trip
- 4 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 5 Cappadocia in June
- 6 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 7 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 8 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 9 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 10 Ibiiza Spain
- 11 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 12 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 13 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 14 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 15 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 16 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 17 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 18 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 19 3 nights in Madrid
- 20 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 21 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 22 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 23 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 24 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 25 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London