My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Frankfurt Germany & Montreux Switzerland over New Year's
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 2 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 3 Abruzzo for 5 days
- 4 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 5 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 6 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 7 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 8 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 9 poland to switzerland
- 10 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 11 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 12 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 13 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 14 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 15 Day trip on the Rhine
- 16 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 17 Munich with a car?
- 18 Toulouse and beyond -
- 19 One week in Venice - trips
- 20 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 21 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 22 Reservation needed in Germany?
- 23 UK for 12 days !
- 24 Estonia Amber
- 25 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions