My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 2 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 3 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 4 seat reservations
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 7 Valencia Spain
- 8 Germany-Car or Train
- 9 Night Bus?
- 10 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 13 Andalucia Spain
- 14 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 15 Gtg's in Paris this summer ?
- 16 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 17 Short time in Vienna
- 18 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 19 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 20 Jewish Vienna
- 21 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 22 My special places in Europe
- 23 Italy in a week
- 24 3 days outside Venice
- 25 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)