My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Championship
- 2 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 3 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 4 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 5 fear of driving in rome!
- 6 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 7 Our Amalfi Coast Adventure—Orlando to Dublin to Naples to Praiano
- 8 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 9 Two nights with kids in Normandy/Brittany
- 10 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 11 Bellissimo Rome, Amalfi Coast, Florence and Caserta: Our wonderful trip
- 12 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 13 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 14 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 15 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 16 Italy trains question
- 17 Drive from Vejer to Granada
- 18 Trains France/Switzerland
- 19 St Andrews or Edinburgh
- 20 Need help identifying something in Barcelona
- 21 Driving through the Pyrenees
- 22 One in Paris ... help
- 23 Three days in Istanbul in August
- 24 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 25 Can't go to Ravello so....where?