My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Frankfurt Germany & Montreux Switzerland over New Year's
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 When to buy companion ticket?
- 2 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 3 Provence Tour Guide Recommendations
- 4 Multi-Generational Great Britain Tour
- 5 Ljubljana to Plitvice Lake
- 6 one-month itinerary -- what am I missing?
- 7 Day Trips from Paris
- 8 Heading off to our 18day Eurotrip soon - 3000€ for 2 people? Enough?
- 9 book your hotel before you travel
- 10 Dolce Vita on a Budget?
- 11 Milan Hotel
- 12 8 days Northern Italy/ Switzerland
- 13 Germany -Preliminary Planning 2 weeks in Sept/15
- 14 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 15 Loco Spain Train Questions
- 16 Summer Interrupted; Christmas in Germany & Switzerland
- 17 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 18 France to Italy advice needed please
- 19 CDG questions
- 20 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 21 Innsbruck and surroundings
- 22 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 23 Small wineries and other places Umbria/Tuscan border?
- 24 Côte du Rhône wine road
- 25 Is this the best urban surf spot in the world?