My husband and I (mid-30s) will be traveling 12/26-1/4, with the first 4 nights in Frankfurt and 12/31-1/3 in Montreux. Visiting a local in Frankfurt but still open to suggestions for day trips. From Montreux we plan to ski for a day (probably in Gstaad) and I'd like to go to the hot springs in Leukerbad. Here are my questions....
1) Where should we stay on 12/30? This is wide open, from adding a night in Montreux, to somewhere else on the way from Frankfurt to Montreux, to somewhere else in Germany. We like beautiful views, beer (husband), wine (me), food of all kinds, outdoor activities that aren't too strenuous (I have a medical condition that limits me a bit), and hot springs (lots of other things of course, but must limit the list here)!
2) Should we get some kind of rail pass? If so, what kind? There are so many options my head literally hurts every time I really start to try to figure it out.
3) I cannot figure out how to get the train from Montreux to Leukerbad - is this actually not easily possible and so I should forget that side trip? If so, are there other hot springs around we could get to?
4) What to do for New Year's Eve?
5) We'd like to potentially visit one other country but literally only for a 1/2 day or so. It seems like France from Montreux is the best option, but I can't figure out where to go or what train to take to get there.
Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Thank you - CC
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 2 10 days in Paris and......
- 3 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 4 LIsbon
- 5 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 6 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 7 Back from Paris
- 8 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 9 London Hotels
- 10 Iceland in 7 days.
- 11 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 12 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 13 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 14 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 15 Luggage Storage
- 16 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 17 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 18 Paris hotels
- 19 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 20 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 21 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 22 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 23 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 24 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 25 great hotel and food in Lyon