I'm hoping to get some advice for a first time Europe trip. I'm a 30 year old New Zealander, currently living in the UK (since October) and am planning a trip for when my mum comes over on June 16 - Aug 1 (flying in and out of London). I haven't been out of the UK yet and mum hasn't been to Europe at all before. We are flexible with where we go but have been thinking France, Italy and the Greek Islands would be nice (we both love beaches) as we want a good balance between seeing as much as we can, and having time to enjoy each place without rushing around too much. We’re interested in a variety of things, from historical sites and museums, to beaches, the outdoors/nature, walks and a bit of nightlife/restaurants.
My rough idea so far is to spend perhaps 1-2 weeks in the UK using my place in Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) as a base. Go on a few day/short trips to see, for example, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, London. From there...;
Greek Islands - Santorini, Mikonos, Paros??
Perhaps Prague then Amsterdam on the way back to London if time allows?
I'd love any advice or recommendations on places to visit or the route above, also time to spend in each place and likely transport modes. Have I picked the highlights and is something like this doable within 6 weeks? If anyone feels like planning an itinerary that would be amazing because I am feeling really overwhelmed and I presume with this being the peak season I will need to get cracking with booking lodgings etc asap.
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 2 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 3 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 4 One free day in Barcelona
- 5 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 6 Greek Village
- 7 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 9 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 10 Sicily help
- 11 PARIS
- 12 Athens Help
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 "Too Much Cows"
- 15 Bordeaux to Nice
- 16 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 17 Thinking about the Fjords
- 18 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 19 Rome -- The next time around
- 20 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 21 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 22 Rome to Venice
- 23 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 24 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 25 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?