I'm hoping to get some advice for a first time Europe trip. I'm a 30 year old New Zealander, currently living in the UK (since October) and am planning a trip for when my mum comes over on June 16 - Aug 1 (flying in and out of London). I haven't been out of the UK yet and mum hasn't been to Europe at all before. We are flexible with where we go but have been thinking France, Italy and the Greek Islands would be nice (we both love beaches) as we want a good balance between seeing as much as we can, and having time to enjoy each place without rushing around too much. We’re interested in a variety of things, from historical sites and museums, to beaches, the outdoors/nature, walks and a bit of nightlife/restaurants.
My rough idea so far is to spend perhaps 1-2 weeks in the UK using my place in Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) as a base. Go on a few day/short trips to see, for example, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, London. From there...;
Greek Islands - Santorini, Mikonos, Paros??
Perhaps Prague then Amsterdam on the way back to London if time allows?
I'd love any advice or recommendations on places to visit or the route above, also time to spend in each place and likely transport modes. Have I picked the highlights and is something like this doable within 6 weeks? If anyone feels like planning an itinerary that would be amazing because I am feeling really overwhelmed and I presume with this being the peak season I will need to get cracking with booking lodgings etc asap.
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 2 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 3 Cappadocia in June
- 4 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 5 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 6 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 7 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 8 Ibiiza Spain
- 9 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 10 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 11 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 12 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 13 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 14 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 15 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 16 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 17 3 nights in Madrid
- 18 Help with Ireland Trip
- 19 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 20 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 21 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 22 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 23 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 24 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 25 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?