I'm hoping to get some advice for a first time Europe trip. I'm a 30 year old New Zealander, currently living in the UK (since October) and am planning a trip for when my mum comes over on June 16 - Aug 1 (flying in and out of London). I haven't been out of the UK yet and mum hasn't been to Europe at all before. We are flexible with where we go but have been thinking France, Italy and the Greek Islands would be nice (we both love beaches) as we want a good balance between seeing as much as we can, and having time to enjoy each place without rushing around too much. We’re interested in a variety of things, from historical sites and museums, to beaches, the outdoors/nature, walks and a bit of nightlife/restaurants.
My rough idea so far is to spend perhaps 1-2 weeks in the UK using my place in Bletchley (near Milton Keynes) as a base. Go on a few day/short trips to see, for example, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, London. From there...;
Greek Islands - Santorini, Mikonos, Paros??
Perhaps Prague then Amsterdam on the way back to London if time allows?
I'd love any advice or recommendations on places to visit or the route above, also time to spend in each place and likely transport modes. Have I picked the highlights and is something like this doable within 6 weeks? If anyone feels like planning an itinerary that would be amazing because I am feeling really overwhelmed and I presume with this being the peak season I will need to get cracking with booking lodgings etc asap.
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 2 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 3 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 4 Switzerland in November?
- 5 Ireland hotel questions
- 6 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 7 Ireland travel passport question
- 8 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 9 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 10 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 11 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 12 getting to CDG
- 13 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 14 Barcelona cooking classes
- 15 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 16 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 17 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 18 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 19 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 20 4 days itinerary for France
- 21 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 22 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 23 Help with Ferries in Croatia
- 24 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 25 Trip route from Paris to Venice