My daughter (10) and I are arriving in Paris in 2 weeks for our first time visit to France, and I am trying to do the last minute planning and bookings. I am having a hard time finalizing the itinerary as there is so much to see and do, and I am desperately trying to not spend all our time on trains, which will be our only mode of transportation. All comments and suggestions for the itinerary are much appreciated.
Paris- 5 nights, we have accommodations booked.
Loire Valley- 2 nights. Arrive early in the day but can't decide where to stay, Amboise or Tours? Dtr wants to spend time at one of the castles playing on da Vinci's working models, and we wouldn't mind seeing another castle or two.
Sarlat- 3 nights, accommodations booked.
Provence- 3 nights. Not sure where to stay, or how long? Once again, can't decide between Arles, Avignon, Aix... I've read threads, posts, but am none the wiser for it I checked the train schedule, and depending on where we decide to stay, the earliest we would arrive would be around 16:00 hrs or later, thus not leaving too much time for exploring on that day. I'd like to see the lavender fields if its not too late in mid-August, the rest of the time we are happy just wondering and exploring around town. Ideally, I'd love to see small towns, villages.
Menton- Not sure why I picked this one over some other ones on coast. 3 nights. no accommodation booked yet.
Annecy or Colmar for 2 nights? Realistically, most of the first day would likely be spend traveling, so there would only be one day for exploring the city. Or given the time crunch is it better to leave it out and spend extra time somewhere else?
Back to Paris for the last 2 nights.
Could you also share your thoughts on whether its better to bring one small suitcase (my daughter's, carry on) and me carry a backpack, or both of us bring a suitcase. I am worried that if the walk turns out to be a long one I will get stuck with her suitcase as well I've read one of the posts on this forum and am leaning towards the backpack.
Any other ideas and suggestions, especially the Must See! in these areas, are welcome.
Thanks so much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 VAT refund transferring through CDG
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 5 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 6 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 7 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 8 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 11 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 12 Renfe AVE, Alvia & Avant Trains
- 13 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 14 San Sebastián
- 15 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 16 italy Cinque Terre
- 17 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 18 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 19 Can parking
- 20 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 21 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 22 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 23 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 24 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 25 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna