My daughter (10) and I are arriving in Paris in 2 weeks for our first time visit to France, and I am trying to do the last minute planning and bookings. I am having a hard time finalizing the itinerary as there is so much to see and do, and I am desperately trying to not spend all our time on trains, which will be our only mode of transportation. All comments and suggestions for the itinerary are much appreciated.
Paris- 5 nights, we have accommodations booked.
Loire Valley- 2 nights. Arrive early in the day but can't decide where to stay, Amboise or Tours? Dtr wants to spend time at one of the castles playing on da Vinci's working models, and we wouldn't mind seeing another castle or two.
Sarlat- 3 nights, accommodations booked.
Provence- 3 nights. Not sure where to stay, or how long? Once again, can't decide between Arles, Avignon, Aix... I've read threads, posts, but am none the wiser for it I checked the train schedule, and depending on where we decide to stay, the earliest we would arrive would be around 16:00 hrs or later, thus not leaving too much time for exploring on that day. I'd like to see the lavender fields if its not too late in mid-August, the rest of the time we are happy just wondering and exploring around town. Ideally, I'd love to see small towns, villages.
Menton- Not sure why I picked this one over some other ones on coast. 3 nights. no accommodation booked yet.
Annecy or Colmar for 2 nights? Realistically, most of the first day would likely be spend traveling, so there would only be one day for exploring the city. Or given the time crunch is it better to leave it out and spend extra time somewhere else?
Back to Paris for the last 2 nights.
Could you also share your thoughts on whether its better to bring one small suitcase (my daughter's, carry on) and me carry a backpack, or both of us bring a suitcase. I am worried that if the walk turns out to be a long one I will get stuck with her suitcase as well I've read one of the posts on this forum and am leaning towards the backpack.
Any other ideas and suggestions, especially the Must See! in these areas, are welcome.
Thanks so much
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Outstanding Bangalore Escorts Agency
- 2 Airports in France - help with transport between them
- 3 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 4 Edinburgh's Fringe Festival...A Most Unique and Eclectic Event!
- 5 Help with my trip to Paris and London
- 6 A few more questions about Brittany
- 7 Flight
- 8 Dollars exchange to pounds
- 9 Greece or Spain in late November - December with a baby
- 10 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 12 Travelogue of our trip to Southern Italy
- 13 Paris to Giverny train ticket sold out
- 14 Sweet villages to base in La Rioja
- 15 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 16 Where to stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris?
- 17 Slovenia or South Tyrol
- 18 Italy apps or guidebooks
- 19 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 20 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 21 11 Days in Ireland w few hotel changes
- 22 Where to stay outsiiide of Florence
- 23 Late December in eastern France / western Germany—where to go?
- 24 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 25 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?