Hi, all –
I am back from a truly awesome 4-week trip to parts of the north of Spain (but unfortunately, not Galicia) and then through the Pyrenees to Catalunya. Many thanks to ALL who helped me plan this trip, whether by responding to my questions or by sharing information through other posts – you all contributed to what was, for me, a journey through awe-inspiring places and an itinerary that very successfully indulged my interests in art, architecture, natural scenery, food, and wine. Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Spain!
Rather than offering a blow-by-blow account of my trip, I’ll present my final itinerary, review what I liked most and least, and then offer some observations to thank those who so generously offered their advice as I planned this trip. I’ll be happy to answer questions at any point.
• This was a 29-day trip during which I used a rental car for 21 days (and during which I drove a bit over 3,000 km).
• I’m a solo independent female traveler.
• This was my 2nd trip to Spain, but my 1st trip to each of these areas.
• I planned this trip with an eye to maximizing the diversity of my experiences.
• I can speak only a spattering of Castillian – not much and not well, but with a focus on civilities. I learned to try to say “thank you” in Basque while on this trip, but managed no other Basque.
• I would not recommend my itinerary to anyone else: This was a plan very specifically tailored to my interests and travel style. It was certainly not an itinerary geared toward relaxation or leisurely exploration! I spent many delightful moments relaxing over a meal, but I wanted to make full use of every possible moment I had in the glorious part of the world. On the other hand, segments of it might prove useful to others.
My basic route, defined by overnight stays, was: Burgos (1) → Laguardia / Biasteri (2) → León (2) → Oviedo (2) → Potes (2) → Santillana del Mar (1) → Santander (2) → Bilbao (2) → San Sebastian / Donostia (3) → Taüll (2) → Cadaques (1) → Girona (1) → Tossa del Mar (1) → Montserrat (1) → Barcelona (6)
I’ll post more as I can. In the meantime, thank you one and all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Plitvace Lake 1 day or 2?
- 2 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 3 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 4 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 5 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 6 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 7 Avoid Europcar!
- 8 16 days in France and Italy
- 9 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 10 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 11 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 12 Amsterdam
- 13 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 14 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 15 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 16 Train / Calabria
- 17 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 18 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 19 Hotels on st george beach naxos
- 20 Paris for children
- 21 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 22 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 23 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 24 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 25 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
Hi, all –