I think I've gotten myself into quite a mess. I'm currently in my final year at a university in Italy (I'm an American who is doing a 2-year masters program here) and my first year's permit expired last September. Back then, I was told that the officials wouldn't mind a little delay and what with preparing for graduate school entrance exams, etc, I completely forgot about it.
Except now it's mid-April and I only just recalled that I hadn't applied for my Permit renewal when I had to go to the dentist and was unable to use my expired permit.
I realize how idiotic my life choices have been up to now, and deserve to be berated. My issue is that I'm not sure what would happen to me now if I submitted my application for renewal now - it is already half a year late. Would I be fined/jailed for being an illegal immigrant or something? It was completely accidental but it sounds far-fetched, I would think. Your thoughts/personal experiences with such a matter would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days itinerary for France
- 2 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 3 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 4 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 5 Help with Ferries in Croatia
- 6 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 7 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 8 vienna
- 9 Questions about Polish sights
- 10 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 11 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 12 Bernina Express mid-March
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 15 Italy
- 16 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 17 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 18 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 19 Ireland travel passport question
- 20 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 21 where to stay in London?
- 22 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 23 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 24 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 25 please help me plan first trip to europe