I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Traveling to Munich
- 2 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 3 Avignon to London?
- 4 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 5 Traveling from Amalfi Coast to Pompeii, etc. Using Public Transportation
- 6 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 7 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 8 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 9 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 10 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 11 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 12 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 13 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 14 feedback on itinerary to france and switzerland
- 15 Discover Greece On Line (Video + Stills)
- 16 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 17 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 18 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 19 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 20 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 21 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 22 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 23 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 24 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 25 Hair Straightener for Europe!