I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Find a long term rental studio in Paris
- 2 Mr & Mrs Annhig go bummelling round Germany.
- 3 from Munchen train to Romerberg
- 4 Scotland Votes "No"
- 5 Gift for French business associate
- 6 Munich Hotel - Stay at the Westin or Sheraton Westpark?
- 7 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 8 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 9 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 10 Alterations to night trains routes
- 11 Trip Report, part 1
- 12 Help with logistics of 2 days on the Rhine
- 13 Scottish Passport
- 14 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 15 shortened trip to Italy
- 16 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 17 Air France strike
- 18 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 19 Italy tours
- 20 Exchanging Large Euro Notes(Currency) in Ireland
- 21 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 22 Amsterdam
- 23 Early October 2014 Trip to Mosel Valley and Rhineland
- 24 Rheinland-Pfalz Day Pass & Rhine Cruise
- 25 Sunny September Trip Report