I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 Location and Lodging in Amsterdam
- 3 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 4 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 5 Help: Lake District & Yorkshire Dales
- 6 Overnight stopover in London!
- 7 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 8 To Paris and Provence in June
- 9 London for Christmas
- 10 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 11 Need help with picking a place to stay between Paris and Bari
- 12 Weekend in Lake Bled?
- 13 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 14 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 15 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 16 Walking around Barcelona??
- 17 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 18 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 19 Novels set in Greece
- 20 Spain and Portugal
- 21 Three for the road
- 22 planning a trip to barcelona first week of Jan
- 23 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 24 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 25 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested