I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 2 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 3 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 4 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 5 Two weeks in Italy - Venice, Ostuni and Naples
- 6 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 7 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 8 London Private Detectives
- 9 2 Weeks in Italy in early October
- 10 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 11 Calling Jamikins
- 12 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 13 A drive in Europe
- 14 Eiffel Tower Replica - where to buy, or how to make?
- 15 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 16 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 17 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 18 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 19 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 20 Europe in 21 days
- 21 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 22 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 23 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 24 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 25 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please