I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 2 Mother daughter London/Ireland trip
- 3 Day Trips from Paris
- 4 Ireland's west coast
- 5 Bernese Oberland or Engadin
- 6 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 7 Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen vs Wengen on November
- 8 Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca and Cuenca Spain
- 9 South of Switzerland
- 10 DEAUVILLE or HONFLEUR for overnight stay?
- 11 9 days; 1or 2 home bases for relaxing, sightseeing and nightlife in Italy
- 12 Western Mediterranean Honeymoon Cruise Leaving from Barcelona
- 13 Winter in europe - am I being too ambitious?
- 14 Cell Coverage in Dordogne & Lot
- 15 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 16 Trattorias/Bars/Restaurants Open Sunday & Monday in Monti (or other)Rome
- 17 Home Base in Belgium
- 18 France and Italy 15 nights. Suggestions welcomed.
- 19 22 days in Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- 20 Rocamaxour
- 21 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 22 St. John's Navalis feast/festival in Prague
- 23 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 24 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 25 Itinerary for Spain