I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sweden - Gothenburg and Malmö photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 2 Hello and advice please to help plan our visit
- 3 Scenic Beauty in Greek Island ? Crete or other island ?
- 4 Need suggestions for day trips in Provence
- 5 VALI DI RAGUSA
- 6 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 7 Spa in Scotland
- 8 EUROPE IN 5 MONTHS
- 9 Booking Greece Ferry Tickets online
- 10 Any French Riviera Beach Reccs?
- 11 1+ days in Toledo
- 12 Help on Norway please - too much to cover too little time.
- 13 What area/town to stay in North Eastern Sardinia?
- 14 Paris info required
- 15 DCC on the increase?
- 16 Which 2 of these 3: Lekeitio, Getaria, and Hondarribia
- 17 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 18 French Etiquette! "Bonjour Madame or Bonjour Monsieur!
- 19 Euro quiz # 89 - Potpourri
- 20 Greek Island honeymoon
- 21 Venice - things to do?
- 22 help and advice
- 23 help on my Portugal Itinerary - 11 days
- 24 Is it a bad time to go?
- 25 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration