I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
View all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 2 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 3 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 4 Planning a holiday
- 5 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 6 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 7 Gogartys, Dublin
- 8 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 9 Europe with young teens
- 10 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 11 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 12 15 days in Europe,
- 13 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 14 planning a trip to barcelona first week of Jan
- 15 Advises for trip to Russia
- 16 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Rome
- 17 Advice on relocating to Italy?
- 18 Nice to St Remy overnight stop in Cassis?
- 19 Prague - must see
- 20 Sicily 10 days
- 21 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 22 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 23 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 24 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 25 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice