I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Unique Venice Activity
- 2 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 3 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 4 Chip but no PIN
- 5 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 6 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 7 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 8 Madrid and London
- 9 Excursions from Dubrovnik--wine/olive oil tasting, sailing/boat tours
- 10 car rental advice in Portugal
- 11 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 12 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 13 What to wear
- 14 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 15 Small group for Colosseum
- 16 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 17 Lofoten ferry
- 18 Upcoming Spain itinerary-eyeballs please!
- 19 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 20 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 21 Duoro river cruises
- 22 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 23 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 24 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 25 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?