I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Living like a local (sort of) in London
- 2 Real Mary King's Close Tour in Edinburgh
- 3 Raining in rome
- 4 Visiting UK boyfriend
- 5 Autumn in Paris
- 6 Bodrum to Rhodes ferry or hydrofoil schedule
- 7 Suggestions for couple of days in spain plus best route to get to Morrocco
- 8 3 weeks in Sicily
- 9 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 10 Saxon and Norman churches in Northumbria
- 11 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 12 Wheelie Suitcases Ban
- 13 Dolomites in May? Worth it?
- 14 ParisScope: Will City Stand for a New Tour Montparnasse?
- 15 Saxon and Norman churches in Northumbria
- 16 Fabulous Palermo
- 17 A Cotswold Query for Flanneruk
- 18 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 19 Iceland tour, first time - advice appreciated!
- 20 Portugal in January
- 21 Catalonia says it's going to have an independence referendum
- 22 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 23 ENGLAND NOV 5 - 16 2014
- 24 Portugal epidemic warning (November 2014)!
- 25 A taste of Italy in 11 nights