I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 2 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 3 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 4 Renting an apt.
- 5 WiFi on trains
- 6 England, Scotland and Ireland Self-guided Tours
- 7 Summer vacation in Greece for 2 weeks, need help w itinerary !!
- 8 Euro quiz # 42 - Trains, Trains and Railways...
- 9 A guide to Madrid
- 10 Feedback on my 5-day Paris site list.
- 11 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 12 Madrid Airport - layover/immigration question
- 13 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 14 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 15 Amsterday > Bruges
- 16 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 17 Exchanging CD$ for Euro's
- 18 Five weeks in Portugal - Does this route make sense?
- 19 Madrid - and where else in Spain in March?
- 20 Using magnetic-strip ATM card to withdraw cash from Eurozone ATM
- 21 ¡QUE VIVA VALENCIA! Wandering and Eating amidst the Orange Blossoms
- 22 anticipating Italian autostrada traffic in July to catch ferry
- 23 Great restaurants in Italy
- 24 Amasra Turkey for one day - what to do?
- 25 Help me with this trip