I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 2 Reykjavik hotels
- 3 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 4 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 5 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 6 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 7 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 8 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 9 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 10 Norway 2014
- 11 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 12 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 13 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 14 Taking a group to Istanbul: need advice
- 15 I dream of Europe
- 16 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 17 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 18 First Time to UK since 2001
- 19 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 20 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 21 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 22 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 23 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 24 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 25 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...