I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 2 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 3 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 4 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 5 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 6 A drive in Europe
- 7 Romantic Venice Resturants with View
- 8 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 9 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 10 Florence to Siena May 1st
- 11 Hotel in Venice
- 12 Day trip on the Rhine
- 13 Avignon to London?
- 14 Swiss rail passes
- 15 Day trips
- 16 Europe in 21 days
- 17 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 18 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 19 Day trip from London to Paris
- 20 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 21 Paris Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe
- 22 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 23 How to change college, after obtaining French visa?
- 24 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 25 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol