I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What is the fastest and best way to travel across Europe
- 2 I went to Paris in June
- 3 Italy things to do?
- 4 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 5 Tuscany for wine, food & photography??
- 6 Tour Group Operators
- 7 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 8 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 9 Premier Inn in Edinburgh, City Center, UK
- 10 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 11 Renting a car from Rome to tuscany to venice
- 12 Music, Hippos, Alchemists and More: A Berlin/Prague Trip Report
- 13 Self-driving tips for France
- 14 Does this sound feasible?
- 15 house-renting safe in Slovenija?
- 16 What is considered acceptable travel attire
- 17 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 18 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 19 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 20 How to make this adventure work?
- 21 Eating in University cafeterias
- 22 Advice on 8 day England Itinerary - No London
- 23 18 DAYS IN VIENNA, 7 DAYS WITH A 4-YEAR-OLD
- 24 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 25 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece