I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 2 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 3 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 4 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 5 Vegan in Germany?
- 6 biking tours in Italy?
- 7 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 8 Treis-Karden 4 days and Trier 2 days?
- 9 Scotland November 2015
- 10 Which european city?
- 11 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 12 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 13 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 14 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 15 Rail tickets Question: Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Antwerp
- 16 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 17 All Set To Go!!
- 18 Italy Countryside
- 19 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 20 French Basque region
- 21 VISA question
- 22 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 23 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 24 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 25 Transportation from Athens Airport to Syntagma