I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amsterdam to Brussels train connection question
- 2 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help Please
- 3 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 4 Unique Venice Activity
- 5 Traveling in France by train
- 6 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 7 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 8 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 9 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 10 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 11 London visit
- 12 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 13 Altitude sickness in Switzerland
- 14 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 15 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 16 Need help with Europe Itinerary
- 17 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 18 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 19 Suggestions for Santorini itinerary, need change??
- 20 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 21 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 22 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 23 Camper Rental in Iceland
- 24 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 25 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?