I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 2 What to wear
- 3 Arc de Triumph Question
- 4 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 5 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 6 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 7 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 8 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 9 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 10 London 2nd time around
- 11 Hotel recommendations for Trieste
- 12 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 13 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 14 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 15 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 16 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 17 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 18 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel
- 19 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 20 Rovinj, Croatia
- 21 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 22 Paris November 2014
- 23 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 24 Traveling in France by train
- 25 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.