I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
- 1 How Long For Santorini?
- 2 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys
- 3 Beaune Hotel or B&B Recommendation Please
- 4 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 5 9 or 10 night Spain itinerary
- 6 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 7 Scotland Itinerary getting better, still needs your expertise!
- 8 Kenmare to Dingle- Where to stop along the way?
- 9 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 10 Evening in Oslo
- 11 Dingle to Galway help please, leave in less than 2 weeks
- 12 Prague Itinerary
- 13 Crete to Sifnos by Ferry?
- 14 Weather's crummy in northern Italy now--suggestions for places
- 15 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 16 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 17 Lisbon Hotels w/Charm & Central Location but NOT $$$$$$$
- 18 Day trip from The Hague to Brussels or Bruges - possible?
- 19 Starting Greece par of our trip, need hotel recommendations.
- 20 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 21 Vatican Guided Tours Questions
- 22 A few questions about the Amalfi Coast (in May)
- 23 Germany and Italy
- 24 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 25 Moving to Spain