I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 2 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 3 Spain in November
- 4 at what point should one get health insurance
- 5 4 Months in Europe
- 6 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 7 Tipping in the UK
- 8 Paris: Picasso Museum reopens, Finally
- 9 floods in Andalucia
- 10 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 11 Easyjet; Vueling; Ryanair "Carryon" Question
- 12 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 13 Traffic Violation from Italy
- 14 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 15 Tour Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland On Line (Video + Stills)
- 16 Christmas and New Years in Ireland?
- 17 Taxi / tour guides from Granada airport
- 18 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 19 Dxb St. Juery Schaffhausen
- 20 Dubai to St. Juery France to Schaffhausen Switzerland
- 21 Birthday trip for Mom in May 2015
- 22 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 23 Recommendations for city break with baby
- 24 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 25 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!