I left my passport in my friend's hotel room while going from Switzerland to Paris for one night on the train. I was detained on the train, filled out some paper work, and allowed to continue. I had no issues with immigration on the train when I returned as I showed them the paperwork they gave me when I left. They told me the matter was closed, but I now know that is not the case. I received something in the mail back in America (after about six weeks) saying I'm being charged with a crime that can be $3,000 per day. Also, they are asking for detailed personal financial information. I'm considering just sending them a copy of my passport (which they requested), but ignoring the other request and basically just selectively exercising my right to remain silent. I'd like to be able to travel to Switzerland and the other Schengen countries again, but if they try to pin some ridiculous fine on me, I will be spending my tourist dollars elsewhere. Any advice from anyone who has made this unfortunate mistake would be apprecaited. Thanks!
Forgot Passport - Prosecuted
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon - skiing in Switzerland and Austria
- 2 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 3 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 4 Mâché aux Puces from Garibaldi metro
- 5 Possible Italy and Paris Itinerary - any thoughts?
- 6 Liverpool to London
- 7 The Tweesters take a trip to BiH, Croatia and Slovenia
- 8 Euro Quiz # 65 (Friday)
- 9 proposed two week Greece itinerary
- 10 September Trip to Normandy/Brittany/Paris
- 11 Better to rent a car in Venice or Padua?
- 12 DVD players in France
- 13 2 Nights in the Pyrenees: Driving Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 14 Ireland with Kids in March - itinerary help
- 15 Greek Pelion....Homebase? Nice Accommodation?
- 16 Train from Sarlat
- 17 Trains
- 18 Help Please with itinerary between Pisa and Milan in Sept/Oct.
- 19 Naples vs Sorrento
- 20 Cinque Terre trails
- 21 Easiest way to get from San Sebastian to Toulouse or Brive in France
- 22 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 23 Paris Bastille Day
- 24 ATM cards in Spain - need chip or not?
- 25 Oh no more disruption planned for Spanish airports 2015