I'm hoping someone can help with a planning snafu I've made. I'm so excited to visit the Flower Fields, but I've accidentally made the mistake of booking the trip the weekend of the Flower Parade. As much as I'd like to see it (preferably stationary, which I understand is possible Sunday in Haarlem), I want to avoid being stuck in the crowds and traffic jams.
I'm not sure whether a car will help or hurt us this weekend... But here's tentative itinerary to give you an idea:
Thurs afternoon - arrive via train from Paris and head to Flower route. Explore nearby fields, either with car or bike.
Fri - spend day at Keukenhof.
Saturday - please help! (Day of Flower Parade)
We will need to leave our accommodation Sat am in Noordwijkerhout, but we have been told the roads will be gridlocked because of the Flower Parade.
Do you have a suggestion on where we should go to avoid traffic and spend the day exploring more of the region? Leiden, the beaches, another town?
We have accommodations for Sun evening in Amsterdam, but we aren't sure what to do between Sat am and Sun am given the traffic jams in the region on Saturday.
Or are we crazy to even go with a car? Does a car make the experience that much better (we want to see more than Keukenhof) or will it be a hindrance for this particular weekend? And if we don't rent a car, is it fairly easy to move around between Leiden/beaches/Lisse/Keukenhof by bike or bus?
Thank you so much for any and all advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 2 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 3 Two days in Rome
- 4 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 5 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 6 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 7 PARIS
- 8 One free day in Barcelona
- 9 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 10 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 11 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 12 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 13 Spain: train/rental car help
- 14 Berlin
- 15 Germany or Sweden
- 16 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 17 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?
- 18 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 19 Greek Village
- 20 Ideas for weekend trips from Aachen
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 22 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 23 Sicily help
- 24 Athens Help
- 25 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Flower Fields Netherlands - Flower Parade Weekend - Advice Needed!