I'm hoping someone can help with a planning snafu I've made. I'm so excited to visit the Flower Fields, but I've accidentally made the mistake of booking the trip the weekend of the Flower Parade. As much as I'd like to see it (preferably stationary, which I understand is possible Sunday in Haarlem), I want to avoid being stuck in the crowds and traffic jams.
I'm not sure whether a car will help or hurt us this weekend... But here's tentative itinerary to give you an idea:
Thurs afternoon - arrive via train from Paris and head to Flower route. Explore nearby fields, either with car or bike.
Fri - spend day at Keukenhof.
Saturday - please help! (Day of Flower Parade)
We will need to leave our accommodation Sat am in Noordwijkerhout, but we have been told the roads will be gridlocked because of the Flower Parade.
Do you have a suggestion on where we should go to avoid traffic and spend the day exploring more of the region? Leiden, the beaches, another town?
We have accommodations for Sun evening in Amsterdam, but we aren't sure what to do between Sat am and Sun am given the traffic jams in the region on Saturday.
Or are we crazy to even go with a car? Does a car make the experience that much better (we want to see more than Keukenhof) or will it be a hindrance for this particular weekend? And if we don't rent a car, is it fairly easy to move around between Leiden/beaches/Lisse/Keukenhof by bike or bus?
Thank you so much for any and all advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 2 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 3 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 4 Revised itinerary for italy
- 5 Amalfi Coast help
- 6 Paris Metro
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 A good book!!
- 9 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 10 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 11 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 12 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 13 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 14 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 15 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 16 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 17 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 18 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 19 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 20 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 21 If you had to choose one......
- 22 CDG airport and connection time
- 23 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 24 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 25 Road Trip From Frankfurt
Flower Fields Netherlands - Flower Parade Weekend - Advice Needed!