I'm hoping someone can help with a planning snafu I've made. I'm so excited to visit the Flower Fields, but I've accidentally made the mistake of booking the trip the weekend of the Flower Parade. As much as I'd like to see it (preferably stationary, which I understand is possible Sunday in Haarlem), I want to avoid being stuck in the crowds and traffic jams.
I'm not sure whether a car will help or hurt us this weekend... But here's tentative itinerary to give you an idea:
Thurs afternoon - arrive via train from Paris and head to Flower route. Explore nearby fields, either with car or bike.
Fri - spend day at Keukenhof.
Saturday - please help! (Day of Flower Parade)
We will need to leave our accommodation Sat am in Noordwijkerhout, but we have been told the roads will be gridlocked because of the Flower Parade.
Do you have a suggestion on where we should go to avoid traffic and spend the day exploring more of the region? Leiden, the beaches, another town?
We have accommodations for Sun evening in Amsterdam, but we aren't sure what to do between Sat am and Sun am given the traffic jams in the region on Saturday.
Or are we crazy to even go with a car? Does a car make the experience that much better (we want to see more than Keukenhof) or will it be a hindrance for this particular weekend? And if we don't rent a car, is it fairly easy to move around between Leiden/beaches/Lisse/Keukenhof by bike or bus?
Thank you so much for any and all advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 2 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 3 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 4 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 5 London 2For1 question
- 6 18-19 day Budapest -Croatia itinerary
- 7 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 8 Fastest travel from Malpensa to Port of Genoa
- 9 16-17 days in Western Europe
- 10 Tuscan Country Side v Florence apartments with Child
- 11 7 days in Greece
- 12 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 13 Venice
- 14 yk's 12 days in Spain by herself Trip Report
- 15 Where to Begin If You're Ending in Amsterdam
- 16 Another Book List for Italy
- 17 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 18 Last night in Sweden
- 19 Best Itinerary for 15 Days?
- 20 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 21 Paris or Edinburgh - 3 days which to choose?
- 22 PARIS: Mini Trip Report, Maxi Enjoyment!
- 23 charming cities in Spain
- 24 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 25 Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
Flower Fields Netherlands - Flower Parade Weekend - Advice Needed!