I'm hoping someone can help with a planning snafu I've made. I'm so excited to visit the Flower Fields, but I've accidentally made the mistake of booking the trip the weekend of the Flower Parade. As much as I'd like to see it (preferably stationary, which I understand is possible Sunday in Haarlem), I want to avoid being stuck in the crowds and traffic jams.
I'm not sure whether a car will help or hurt us this weekend... But here's tentative itinerary to give you an idea:
Thurs afternoon - arrive via train from Paris and head to Flower route. Explore nearby fields, either with car or bike.
Fri - spend day at Keukenhof.
Saturday - please help! (Day of Flower Parade)
We will need to leave our accommodation Sat am in Noordwijkerhout, but we have been told the roads will be gridlocked because of the Flower Parade.
Do you have a suggestion on where we should go to avoid traffic and spend the day exploring more of the region? Leiden, the beaches, another town?
We have accommodations for Sun evening in Amsterdam, but we aren't sure what to do between Sat am and Sun am given the traffic jams in the region on Saturday.
Or are we crazy to even go with a car? Does a car make the experience that much better (we want to see more than Keukenhof) or will it be a hindrance for this particular weekend? And if we don't rent a car, is it fairly easy to move around between Leiden/beaches/Lisse/Keukenhof by bike or bus?
Thank you so much for any and all advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tips on our visit to Edinburgh, Glencoe, Skye
- 2 Searching for a restaurant in Le Marais for Sunday lunch in August
- 3 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 4 24 hours in Paris
- 5 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 6 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 7 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 8 tickets for Wimbledon
- 9 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 10 Hotel Recommendations in Paris
- 11 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 12 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 13 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 14 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 15 Happy birthday ATM
- 16 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 17 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 18 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 19 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 20 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 21 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 22 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 23 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 24 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 25 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
Flower Fields Netherlands - Flower Parade Weekend - Advice Needed!