I'm hoping someone can help with a planning snafu I've made. I'm so excited to visit the Flower Fields, but I've accidentally made the mistake of booking the trip the weekend of the Flower Parade. As much as I'd like to see it (preferably stationary, which I understand is possible Sunday in Haarlem), I want to avoid being stuck in the crowds and traffic jams.
I'm not sure whether a car will help or hurt us this weekend... But here's tentative itinerary to give you an idea:
Thurs afternoon - arrive via train from Paris and head to Flower route. Explore nearby fields, either with car or bike.
Fri - spend day at Keukenhof.
Saturday - please help! (Day of Flower Parade)
We will need to leave our accommodation Sat am in Noordwijkerhout, but we have been told the roads will be gridlocked because of the Flower Parade.
Do you have a suggestion on where we should go to avoid traffic and spend the day exploring more of the region? Leiden, the beaches, another town?
We have accommodations for Sun evening in Amsterdam, but we aren't sure what to do between Sat am and Sun am given the traffic jams in the region on Saturday.
Or are we crazy to even go with a car? Does a car make the experience that much better (we want to see more than Keukenhof) or will it be a hindrance for this particular weekend? And if we don't rent a car, is it fairly easy to move around between Leiden/beaches/Lisse/Keukenhof by bike or bus?
Thank you so much for any and all advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 2 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 3 Short Trip to Paris
- 4 Driver"s License & Language
- 5 credit and debit cards
- 6 Road trip to Spanish Pyrenees - Suggestions?
- 7 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 8 Labor Day in Paris
- 9 Train up the Jungfrau
- 10 3 months in Switzerland this summer, need suggestions on weekend trips
- 11 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
- 12 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 13 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 14 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 15 I may be wrong....
- 16 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 17 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 18 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 19 National Parks close to Malgrat de Mar or Barcelona recommendations
- 20 Tips / stops on drive from Munich, Fussen, Salzburg
- 21 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 22 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 23 I cuisine vs Cookin With Class
- 24 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 25 A visit to Greenwich
Flower Fields Netherlands - Flower Parade Weekend - Advice Needed!