We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Britain Car Tour Help!
- 2 Car rental at Athens airport
- 3 Inexperienced traveler trying to plan for 2 weeks in Europe!
- 4 Exchanging Dollars to Euros
- 5 Amsterdam - My Favorite Things!
- 6 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 7 UK's 6 month tourist visa
- 8 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 9 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 10 Question About Belgiun Train Travel
- 11 Exquisite side trip from Cinque Terre?
- 12 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 13 Is the roof of La Grande Arche de la Défense open yet?
- 14 Neuschwanstein to Linderhof by car
- 15 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 16 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 17 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?
- 18 From Bordeaux to Toulouse
- 19 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 20 Going to Croatia for 7-9 days in early June
- 21 Sea side in Italy
- 22 Single Malts
- 23 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip
- 24 Apartments in Rome you have rented and liked
- 25 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf