We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chinese Tourists in Paris: Not Always Happy
- 2 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 3 Montmartre or St.Denis
- 4 Is it worth driving around Southern Tuscany if we don't drink wine?
- 5 Planning 18 day euro trip HELP
- 6 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 7 Stockholm - airport to city during a layover?
- 8 Fantastic 3Days adventure trip in Kenya for only Usd 280 (for the 3days)
- 9 From Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport to 8, Champs Elysees, Paris
- 10 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.
- 11 Feedback on Gotland Medieval Festival
- 12 lauterbrunnen-wengen 4 days
- 13 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 14 Ideal first time trip to Germany-8-10 days --suggestions
- 15 France in December 2014
- 16 Europe Itinerary
- 17 Olive Oil
- 18 Two Sisters-in-law in Italy
- 19 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 20 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 21 Hey Fodor's
- 22 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 23 We have no idea where to go!
- 24 20th ANNIVERSARY TRIP ITALY Rome, Florence, Tuscany & other nearby towns.
- 25 Portugal 15 day Itinerary Help