We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does Wroclaw, Krakow, Warsaw sound like a good 8-day Polish trip?
- 2 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 3 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 4 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 5 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 6 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 7 Paris Under Seige...
- 8 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 9 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 10 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 11 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 12 Brief trip report Naples
- 13 Advices about our itiniary
- 14 Staying in Ventimiglia vs France
- 15 Chip and pin credit card 2015 question
- 16 Establishing a Realistic Food Budget
- 17 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 18 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 19 Coach with driver rental, Puglia Italy
- 20 Private transportation
- 21 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 22 Sicily--Three Weeks in October--Winging It is Doable
- 23 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 24 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 25 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?