We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 days itinerary for France
- 2 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 3 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
- 4 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 5 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 6 House Hunting in France
- 7 Itinerary Tweaking
- 8 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 9 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 10 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 11 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 12 Driving in Italy?
- 13 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 14 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 15 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 16 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 17 Itinerary Help
- 18 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 19 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 20 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 21 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 22 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 23 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 24 Sicily
- 25 Rota Vicentina hike report October 2014