We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 August highway traffic problems in Italy???
- 2 10 days in England
- 3 going to italy
- 4 Help! Apartment near Parc de Passy or near Rue de Commerce!?
- 5 Playing Basketball in Amsterdam
- 6 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 7 Eight tips on buying wine in a French supermarket
- 8 Oktoberfest vs Amsterdam
- 9 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 10 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 11 Ayasofya Hotel
- 12 Study Abroad: Amsterdam vs Berlin vs Prague
- 13 Saint Malo or Dinan?
- 14 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...
- 15 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 16 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 17 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 18 Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?
- 19 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 20 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 21 Are taxis easily obtained at the train station in Florence?
- 22 Stay away from EF Tours
- 23 Home base stay in Italy for vacation
- 24 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around
- 25 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady