We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotel or bed and breakfast in Venice
- 2 EuropeanQuiz # 70 ( Friday)
- 3 Itinerary question for Czech Republic for September trip
- 4 Italy by Cruise Ship or Airplane/Rail
- 5 London experts--Look at my week's itinerary, please?
- 6 Driving to Beaune
- 7 Afternoon Tea in London: Savoy vs. Ritz
- 8 Where to stay in London
- 9 Travelling to France
- 10 Use of pre-booked non-PREMS tickets on French trains
- 11 Iceland trip...need some feedback please!
- 12 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 13 Easier connection to London's city center -- Gatwick or Stansted?
- 14 25 days in Europe
- 15 ANDALUCIA - CIVIL WAR GUIDE?
- 16 Lyon, Beaune, or Dijon as stopover from Antibes to Colmar?
- 17 Amsterdam B&B -- Tulipa -- Feedback Wanted
- 18 Oslo, Norway - worth the trip?
- 19 scotland trave;
- 20 Makes Blackpool look Fab
- 21 Newgrange
- 22 Spain. malaga to granada
- 23 Positano to Amalfi in April
- 24 Refining Alsace itinerary
- 25 Jeff Steiner interviews Adrian Leeds re Paris short-term rentals.