We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 2 5 Observations About Paris
- 3 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 4 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 5 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 6 Is my plan ok
- 7 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 8 Austria to Italy by car - best route
- 9 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 10 Southern Spain
- 11 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 12 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 13 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 14 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 15 Combinations euro rail and river cruise
- 16 Scotland November 2015
- 17 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 18 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 19 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 20 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 21 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 22 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 23 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 24 Museums in Berlin
- 25 Schengen Visa Rules