We have a trip planned in early October to Italy to the above locations.
Florence 2 nights
Tuscany 4 nights
Bologna 2 nights
I am just trying to figure out the Tuscany side of our trip & need some help. We are wanting to hire a car for the duration of our stay in Tuscany, my thoughts were to pick it up in Lucca (first stop) and then drive to Bologna and drop off there, first of all - what is the most scenic route to Bologna and is it worth the drive or would drop the car in Tuscany and train up?
Secondly - we have 4 days in Tuscany, a little bit of planning is required but really we just want to jump in the car each day and see where we end up, and this means booking the accom each night as we go...good idea or bad idea? should we just choose a base and pre-book? if so where is a nice spot to base ourselves.
The main towns/cities we want to see are:
and all the smaller towns in between.......once we are there I guess we will decide on how long we spend there, a day or overnight etc, or move on to the next spot.
My concern is we may find ourselves wasting time searching for accom if we don't book in advance? Also is it easy enough to park in the main towns?
Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated. Travelling with fiance, both mid 30's.
Florence, Tuscany & Bologna
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 2 Guesthouses in Dublin
- 3 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 4 Advise for travelling to Eastern Europe(including Balkans)
- 5 Trip Report & Tips for Greece (Nafplio, Santorini, Naxos, & Athens)
- 6 Balkan Tour Operators?
- 7 What is considered acceptable travel attire
- 8 Stay in Bayeux or Honfleur
- 9 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 10 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 11 Visiting Amsterdam, Brussels and Bruges
- 12 tuscany wine tours and transfers
- 13 Madrid apartment input, please
- 14 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 15 December honeymoon in Europe
- 16 London: Oyster Card or Travelcard?
- 17 Florence veg friendly restaurant suggestions pls
- 18 How long in Venice?
- 19 Paris: A Classical Music Concert
- 20 Firenze Card OR Amici Degli Uffizi Card??
- 21 staying a month or so in each place
- 22 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 23 URGENT: Fontana Del Papa, Tolfa Cooking School Info Pls
- 24 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 25 Barcelona trip (La Festa Gracia! and more)