Hello fellow Fodorites!
I hope this note finds you well and excited about your upcoming travels!
The Father/daughter duo is on the road again for our 8th annual European Fling. We were in Portugal in 2008 and absolutely loved the country, the people, the food and wine and again the people.
We flew into Porto and spent a few days walking and eating, drove out to the Douro and stayed in a Quinta for a few more days of eating and lots of drinking. Then started driving south and spent an afternoon shopping for pottery and thoroughly enjoyed eating yummy suckling pig. Spent a night at the Obidos Poussada and walked the wall in the morning sun then slowly made our way to Lisbon for a week of pastries, architectural walks, quaint tram rides (ha ha) and Fado.
We were so amazed with Portugal being so beautiful and incredibly friendly, with fantastic food and wine that we thought it would be great to see another part of the magnificent country.
So we will be flying into Lisbon and staying 3,4 or 5 days. Then getting a car and going to Sintra. At that point we want to go east toward Evora (I would love to see the megaliths) and spend 5/6/7 days driving around the Alentejo region. I am a wine rep and we distribute great wines from the region so tracking down a winery or two is definitely in the cards.
I know the region is more arid, remote and less traveled which is why we want to explore there. Some people refer to Alentejo as the Tuscany of Portugal which to me is very exciting.
So calling out to Stu or any other Fodorite that have been in the area for some advise. Which towns were your favorite and why.... Marvao.... Monsaraz....Evora... Estremoz.... (ie food, architecture, views, unique gifts to share... oh how I love my cork purse and cork kitchen apron!!) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
"May the four winds blow you safely home....."
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trains France/Switzerland
- 2 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 3 Switzerland itinerary help
- 4 Cote d'Azur & Provence Itinerary - Stu Dudley's new/revised edition
- 5 Day in Dublin with Private Guide
- 6 Edinburgh to Bath - what is best option? train or plane
- 7 Bel Canto restaurant, Paris
- 8 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 9 Any details on the explosions at the Istanbul Airport?
- 10 Tuscany Region - Rental Car or Public Transportation?
- 11 Sagrada Familia-Guide or Audio
- 12 Dolomites October 14-18
- 13 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 14 Charles Degaulle question
- 15 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 16 Norway Itinerary
- 17 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 18 Sept. 2016. GTG...possibly 14th-17th
- 19 Renting a car in Florence
- 20 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 21 Hammams in Spain
- 22 Bologna or Bergamo?
- 23 Easiest way to send photo eq. to the hotel
- 24 Train rides
- 25 Austria
Hello fellow Fodorites!