Hello fellow Fodorites!
I hope this note finds you well and excited about your upcoming travels!
The Father/daughter duo is on the road again for our 8th annual European Fling. We were in Portugal in 2008 and absolutely loved the country, the people, the food and wine and again the people.
We flew into Porto and spent a few days walking and eating, drove out to the Douro and stayed in a Quinta for a few more days of eating and lots of drinking. Then started driving south and spent an afternoon shopping for pottery and thoroughly enjoyed eating yummy suckling pig. Spent a night at the Obidos Poussada and walked the wall in the morning sun then slowly made our way to Lisbon for a week of pastries, architectural walks, quaint tram rides (ha ha) and Fado.
We were so amazed with Portugal being so beautiful and incredibly friendly, with fantastic food and wine that we thought it would be great to see another part of the magnificent country.
So we will be flying into Lisbon and staying 3,4 or 5 days. Then getting a car and going to Sintra. At that point we want to go east toward Evora (I would love to see the megaliths) and spend 5/6/7 days driving around the Alentejo region. I am a wine rep and we distribute great wines from the region so tracking down a winery or two is definitely in the cards.
I know the region is more arid, remote and less traveled which is why we want to explore there. Some people refer to Alentejo as the Tuscany of Portugal which to me is very exciting.
So calling out to Stu or any other Fodorite that have been in the area for some advise. Which towns were your favorite and why.... Marvao.... Monsaraz....Evora... Estremoz.... (ie food, architecture, views, unique gifts to share... oh how I love my cork purse and cork kitchen apron!!) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
"May the four winds blow you safely home....."
Flinging around Portugal... again!
Hello fellow Fodorites!
- 1 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 2 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 3 What is the best travel/tour agency to use for escorted trips abroad?
- 4 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 5 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 6 Tour-Free Travel
- 7 Spain / fatima - itinerary suggestion 10 days
- 8 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 9 London Spy Sites
- 10 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 11 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 12 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 13 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 14 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 15 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 16 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 17 East coast trains
- 18 Nuremberg VGN Tageskarten Plus
- 19 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 20 Help with Colosseum Underground tour needed
- 21 Local Living Rome- G adventures
- 22 Where to stay for one night ???
- 23 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 24 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 25 Discount retail liquor stores - Barcelona or Madrid, Spain areas