Hello fellow Fodorites!
I hope this note finds you well and excited about your upcoming travels!
The Father/daughter duo is on the road again for our 8th annual European Fling. We were in Portugal in 2008 and absolutely loved the country, the people, the food and wine and again the people.
We flew into Porto and spent a few days walking and eating, drove out to the Douro and stayed in a Quinta for a few more days of eating and lots of drinking. Then started driving south and spent an afternoon shopping for pottery and thoroughly enjoyed eating yummy suckling pig. Spent a night at the Obidos Poussada and walked the wall in the morning sun then slowly made our way to Lisbon for a week of pastries, architectural walks, quaint tram rides (ha ha) and Fado.
We were so amazed with Portugal being so beautiful and incredibly friendly, with fantastic food and wine that we thought it would be great to see another part of the magnificent country.
So we will be flying into Lisbon and staying 3,4 or 5 days. Then getting a car and going to Sintra. At that point we want to go east toward Evora (I would love to see the megaliths) and spend 5/6/7 days driving around the Alentejo region. I am a wine rep and we distribute great wines from the region so tracking down a winery or two is definitely in the cards.
I know the region is more arid, remote and less traveled which is why we want to explore there. Some people refer to Alentejo as the Tuscany of Portugal which to me is very exciting.
So calling out to Stu or any other Fodorite that have been in the area for some advise. Which towns were your favorite and why.... Marvao.... Monsaraz....Evora... Estremoz.... (ie food, architecture, views, unique gifts to share... oh how I love my cork purse and cork kitchen apron!!) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
"May the four winds blow you safely home....."
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 릴게임오리지널신천지 ≪ 접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 2 Another tipping question: concierges
- 3 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 4 Dresden: How Many Nights?
- 5 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 6 Mon Dieu! The Cops Are After Me
- 7 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 8 Budapest in December 2017
- 9 6-7 Days in France
- 10 Spain in July
- 11 5 Days in Switzerland
- 12 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 13 We're here!
- 14 Korean Messages
- 15 Car hire with driver in Istanbul
- 16 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 17 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 18 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 19 Acropolis Athens
- 20 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 21 Trip Ideas
- 22 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 23 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 24 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 25 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
Hello fellow Fodorites!