Hello fellow Fodorites!
I hope this note finds you well and excited about your upcoming travels!
The Father/daughter duo is on the road again for our 8th annual European Fling. We were in Portugal in 2008 and absolutely loved the country, the people, the food and wine and again the people.
We flew into Porto and spent a few days walking and eating, drove out to the Douro and stayed in a Quinta for a few more days of eating and lots of drinking. Then started driving south and spent an afternoon shopping for pottery and thoroughly enjoyed eating yummy suckling pig. Spent a night at the Obidos Poussada and walked the wall in the morning sun then slowly made our way to Lisbon for a week of pastries, architectural walks, quaint tram rides (ha ha) and Fado.
We were so amazed with Portugal being so beautiful and incredibly friendly, with fantastic food and wine that we thought it would be great to see another part of the magnificent country.
So we will be flying into Lisbon and staying 3,4 or 5 days. Then getting a car and going to Sintra. At that point we want to go east toward Evora (I would love to see the megaliths) and spend 5/6/7 days driving around the Alentejo region. I am a wine rep and we distribute great wines from the region so tracking down a winery or two is definitely in the cards.
I know the region is more arid, remote and less traveled which is why we want to explore there. Some people refer to Alentejo as the Tuscany of Portugal which to me is very exciting.
So calling out to Stu or any other Fodorite that have been in the area for some advise. Which towns were your favorite and why.... Marvao.... Monsaraz....Evora... Estremoz.... (ie food, architecture, views, unique gifts to share... oh how I love my cork purse and cork kitchen apron!!) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!
"May the four winds blow you safely home....."
Flinging around Portugal... again!
Hello fellow Fodorites!
- 1 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 2 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 3 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 4 A full week in The Netherlands
- 5 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 6 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 7 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 8 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 9 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 10 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico
- 11 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 12 Train travel in Europe
- 13 Prague Main Train Station
- 14 Itinerary Questions
- 15 Place to propose
- 16 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 17 Traveling to Europe for the first time
- 18 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 19 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 20 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 21 Lake como
- 22 Christmas in Paris was fantastic!
- 23 Moldova and Transnistiria
- 24 Stockholm hotel suggestions please!!!!
- 25 Le Marche and Rome - Part 1