Going for our second time to Europe. We are staying in vacation rental apartments, and the apartment owners would like us to call them on the day of arrival to pinpoint exact time to meet us. Other than that, we like to disconnect (meaning no phone calls home usually). We will have my Android smartphone, I'll put it in airplane mode like I did our first visit to Europe, and only use free wifi (included in most apartment rentals).
Last year, we only had to use the phone a couple of times, so once I used a public phone in the train station (ha! what a joke! Cost me $20 US and the other person could not hear me!). We also purchased a sim card in Venice and could not get it to complete a call to the airlines (operator stupidity?).
What are your best suggestions?
I could download Skype, but from my research it looks like you must have the premium plan for use in Europe and there's still a per minute fee.
Should I buy five sim cards? Keep in mind, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to figuring out how they work (and they all seem to be slightly different!)
All help appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 2 UK in May and June
- 3 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
- 4 Spain: train/rental car help
- 5 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 6 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 7 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 8 London GTG - early Oct are you available?
- 9 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 10 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 11 13 nights in switzerland
- 12 Alhambra
- 13 Norway in a nutshell in Winter Itinerary
- 14 Uber or driver/tour guide in Cotswolds?
- 15 Copenhagen or Stockholm? for music
- 16 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 17 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 18 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 19 Thinking about the Fjords
- 20 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 21 Athens, Greece to Venice...maybe my favorite trip yet?
- 22 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 23 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 24 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 25 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland