Our first visit to Sicily!
After spending three nights in Rome, we flew to Catania, Sicily on Alitalia airlines.
When we checked in with United Airlines in the states, hubby's luggage was 66 pounds so we knew we had to lighten up before Our Alitalia flight or pay excessive baggage fees. We ended up buying an extra suitcase and filled it up with dirty clothes and other items and stored it in the hotel In rome as we were staying another night in Rome before we fly home after Sicily. So that took care of that problem. When we checked in at the Alitalia counter they informed us our seats we reserved on line were upgrades and we needed to pay an extra 10 euros to sit in those seats. So we paid. Alitalia weighted and measured our carry on luggage! We passed and boarded.
The flight from Rome was 55 minutes! I had a good view of Mt. Edna flying in. The Catania airport is small. They roll in stairs for you to deplane and then take a short bus to the airport. We arranged for a transfer to our Taormina hotel with Sicily Life. A driver was waiting for us as we exited baggage claim. Villa Ducale was our 3-night destination. This hotel is high above the town of Taormina. The streets are narrow and heavy with traffic. Lots of hairpin turns/ think of road to Hana / ha / It didn't bother me because I was in Sicily! Our driver was so careful. This took close to an hour maybe a little less.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a warm and friendly staff. They offered us a glass of wine and we told them we would be back in a few minutes after we unpacked.
We were escorted to our junior rooftop suite/room. OMG the view from this room is one I would expect on the amalfi coast except Mt Edna was right before our eyes and the beach Giardini Naxos below. Just breathtaking. After crazy Rome, my husband exclaimed, " Now this is a vacation." I smiled as I'm the one who found this hotel on TA and thanks to everyone's opinions, I was convinced this would be a winner. We had a small patio, a sunken tiled tub with pop out window above the tub. There was a shower with a small waterfall feature. I was in bathroom heaven as I don't have anything but a Kohler bath tub at home! Ha
So back to the lobby area where there is a small dining area overlooking the same view we had in our room. They welcomed us with a glass of wine and then we were given an overview of the accommodations and my husband mentioned that we needed to find lunch and they ran for a menu and prepared us lunch. What a warm welcome!
We unpacked and took the hotel shuttle down to the town. Hubby went to look for a grocery type store and got lost in the shops. The town is actually pretty spread out. I found a cute Italian doll shop named My Doll. They are soft cloth /rag dolls and sooo cute. They had gardening dolls,farm dolls, ballerina dolls, Alice in wonder dolls - so cute. (My Doll on Facebook)
I walked through about 30 percent of the shops but didn't buy anything ----yet. Ha
We caught the next shuttle back to the hotel. We made 8:00 dinner reservations at the hotel.
To be continued...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 2 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 3 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 4 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 5 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 6 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 7 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 8 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 9 House Hunting in France
- 10 English Countryside
- 11 Tour of Northern Italy
- 12 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 13 Cognac transportation?
- 14 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 15 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 16 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 17 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 18 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 19 Granada to Madrid
- 20 San Sebastian
- 21 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 22 Hotel in Vienna
- 23 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 24 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 25 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
Our first visit to Sicily!