I have always appreciated the great advice I get from the Fodor's forums so I am hopeful that I can get some suggestions for our first trip to Italy.
Basic information about us: Good health, adventurous (but not adrenaline junkies), very interested in art, architecture, quiet nights, and good food. Total full days available: 12 (not counting arrival and departure dates). The budget is mid-range, about $200 per night hotel, leaving plenty left over for museums, etc. Travel in mid-October 2016.
Itinerary plans: Land in Rome, (5-6 days), train to Florence (3 days), rental car to drive through Tuscany back towards Rome, perhaps find a relaxing place to stay for a few days (suggestions)? Return car, stay one night in Rome before flying out.
I am hoping for recommendations for the following:
1. Is it worth the risk of bad weather to wait a few weeks and travel in November for cheaper prices? I don't want to save a few hundred only to be cold and rainy.
2. Flying from the east coast, I have many options such as Boston, NYC, Washington...any suggestions for the best airlines/flights? I definitely want premium economy.
3. Itinerary thoughts: We would like the restful part of the vacation to come at the end, hence the idea of a country villa in Tuscany. Does my Rome-Florence-Rome plan sound like the best idea? All suggestions welcome.
4. We want to maximize our time for as few stops (and unpacking) as possible, and are trying not to "stuff" the vacation with too many destinations but Rome and Florence are musts.
5. We prefer a VRBO type stay versus a hotel in both destinations, any recommendations are appreciated - in Rome, Camp di fiorni or Navano area.
Thanks for all and any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 2 ALMERIA - 1 Day Excusions
- 3 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 4 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 5 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 6 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 7 Dublin Leap Card
- 8 vegetarian in spain
- 9 Please help me eat well in Greece!
- 10 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 11 Rec for carryon bag - European sized
- 12 Help me bookend our Bologna stay in December
- 13 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 14 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 15 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 16 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence
- 17 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 18 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 19 Cordoba Overnight?
- 20 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 21 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 22 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 23 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 24 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 25 10 days Berner Oberland, Lake Geneva. Chamonix, yes or no