I have always appreciated the great advice I get from the Fodor's forums so I am hopeful that I can get some suggestions for our first trip to Italy.
Basic information about us: Good health, adventurous (but not adrenaline junkies), very interested in art, architecture, quiet nights, and good food. Total full days available: 12 (not counting arrival and departure dates). The budget is mid-range, about $200 per night hotel, leaving plenty left over for museums, etc. Travel in mid-October 2016.
Itinerary plans: Land in Rome, (5-6 days), train to Florence (3 days), rental car to drive through Tuscany back towards Rome, perhaps find a relaxing place to stay for a few days (suggestions)? Return car, stay one night in Rome before flying out.
I am hoping for recommendations for the following:
1. Is it worth the risk of bad weather to wait a few weeks and travel in November for cheaper prices? I don't want to save a few hundred only to be cold and rainy.
2. Flying from the east coast, I have many options such as Boston, NYC, Washington...any suggestions for the best airlines/flights? I definitely want premium economy.
3. Itinerary thoughts: We would like the restful part of the vacation to come at the end, hence the idea of a country villa in Tuscany. Does my Rome-Florence-Rome plan sound like the best idea? All suggestions welcome.
4. We want to maximize our time for as few stops (and unpacking) as possible, and are trying not to "stuff" the vacation with too many destinations but Rome and Florence are musts.
5. We prefer a VRBO type stay versus a hotel in both destinations, any recommendations are appreciated - in Rome, Camp di fiorni or Navano area.
Thanks for all and any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 4 8 Days in Spain
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 7 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 8 Amsterdam
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 11 Scenic cruise advice
- 12 Barcelona alternative
- 13 Italy Car Scam
- 14 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 15 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 16 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 17 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 18 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 19 God Save the Queen?
- 20 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 21 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 22 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 23 Iceland early december visit
- 24 Paris to Italy
- 25 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes