I have always appreciated the great advice I get from the Fodor's forums so I am hopeful that I can get some suggestions for our first trip to Italy.
Basic information about us: Good health, adventurous (but not adrenaline junkies), very interested in art, architecture, quiet nights, and good food. Total full days available: 12 (not counting arrival and departure dates). The budget is mid-range, about $200 per night hotel, leaving plenty left over for museums, etc. Travel in mid-October 2016.
Itinerary plans: Land in Rome, (5-6 days), train to Florence (3 days), rental car to drive through Tuscany back towards Rome, perhaps find a relaxing place to stay for a few days (suggestions)? Return car, stay one night in Rome before flying out.
I am hoping for recommendations for the following:
1. Is it worth the risk of bad weather to wait a few weeks and travel in November for cheaper prices? I don't want to save a few hundred only to be cold and rainy.
2. Flying from the east coast, I have many options such as Boston, NYC, Washington...any suggestions for the best airlines/flights? I definitely want premium economy.
3. Itinerary thoughts: We would like the restful part of the vacation to come at the end, hence the idea of a country villa in Tuscany. Does my Rome-Florence-Rome plan sound like the best idea? All suggestions welcome.
4. We want to maximize our time for as few stops (and unpacking) as possible, and are trying not to "stuff" the vacation with too many destinations but Rome and Florence are musts.
5. We prefer a VRBO type stay versus a hotel in both destinations, any recommendations are appreciated - in Rome, Camp di fiorni or Navano area.
Thanks for all and any help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 2 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 3 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 4 I may be wrong....
- 5 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 6 Driving from Madrid to Sevilla
- 7 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 8 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 9 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 10 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 11 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 12 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 13 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 14 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 15 French Wedding
- 16 Cornwall UK
- 17 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 18 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 19 Photo tours in Amsterdam
- 20 Porto...Questions !
- 21 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 22 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 23 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 24 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 25 Charming areas to explore in London