I will be visiting Europe for the first time with my mother in late April to early May. We bought open-jaw tickets, arriving in Amsterdam on April 27 and leaving Paris on May 11. I would prefer to use trains as the means of travel for the majority of this trip.
I've developed the following itinerary and would like some honest input:
Arrival on April 27 at 7:00
Day 1 (4/27) - Keukenhof, Leiden; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 2 (4/28) - Volendam, Marken, Monnickendam or other villages and towns that exhibit the traditional Holland culture (suggestions?); sleep: Amsterdam
Day 3 (4/29) - Delft, The Hague; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 4 (4/30) - Amsterdam; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 5 (5/1) - Zaanse Schans (windmills), Amsterdam; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 6 (5/2) - Cologne; sleep: Cologne
Day 7 (5/3) - Marksburg Castle, cruise from Lorch to St Goar, Rheinfels Castle; sleep: Cochem
Day 8 (5/4) - Burg Eltz, crusie from Traben-Trarbach to Bernkastel; sleep: Cochem
Day 9 (5/5) - Cochem, Trier; sleep: Heidelberg
Day 10 (5/6) - Heidelberg; sleep: Strasbourg
Day 11 (5/7) - Strasbourg; sleep: Strasbourg
Day 12 (5/8) - Paris
Day 13 (5/9) - Paris
Day 14 (5/10) - Paris
Day 15 (5/11) - Paris
Departure on May 11 at 14:30
A few pieces of information that I feel would explain parts of this draft itinerary:
(1) It is my mom's dream to visit Keukenhof and I'm hoping that the garden will be somewhat close to full bloom in late April.
(2) Paris. What more do I need to say.
(3) Another highlight of our tour would be visiting the Rhine and Mosel. We originally planned to go through Belgium enroute to Paris, but then we watched travel videos that depict these dramatic castles overlooking scenic rivers and we realized that they're very much within reach for us. So we decided to plan that into our itinerary.
A big part of travel to me is to experience the distinctive character of a place, hence anything of historic or significance interests me. As for my mother, she loves pretty and romantic places. Quaint little shops on cobblestone streets would be heavenly for her.
What do you guys think about this itinerary? Am I spending too much (candidate: Holland) or too little time (candidate: Paris) in some of these places? Are there any places along this route that we should be including or eliminating? Is Amsterdam gonna be really packed on Queen's Day? I think we can work the R-P tickets into my Day 7-9, but are there any other discount railway tickets that we can take advantage of? Would the V-E Day on May 8 impact my itinerary?
Also, are there any transportation or railway museums remotely close to the places I'm going? I'm willing to make a small detour if such museum exists.
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 2 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 3 Spain in July
- 4 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 5 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 6 Acorn TV
- 7 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 8 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 9 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 10 Petrol in Greece
- 11 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 12 We're here!
- 13 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris
- 14 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 15 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 16 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 17 Another tipping question: concierges
- 18 6-7 Days in France
- 19 International Flight Question
- 20 5 Days in Switzerland
- 21 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 22 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 23 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 24 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 25 Bremerhaven and environs