I will be visiting Europe for the first time with my mother in late April to early May. We bought open-jaw tickets, arriving in Amsterdam on April 27 and leaving Paris on May 11. I would prefer to use trains as the means of travel for the majority of this trip.
I've developed the following itinerary and would like some honest input:
Arrival on April 27 at 7:00
Day 1 (4/27) - Keukenhof, Leiden; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 2 (4/28) - Volendam, Marken, Monnickendam or other villages and towns that exhibit the traditional Holland culture (suggestions?); sleep: Amsterdam
Day 3 (4/29) - Delft, The Hague; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 4 (4/30) - Amsterdam; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 5 (5/1) - Zaanse Schans (windmills), Amsterdam; sleep: Amsterdam
Day 6 (5/2) - Cologne; sleep: Cologne
Day 7 (5/3) - Marksburg Castle, cruise from Lorch to St Goar, Rheinfels Castle; sleep: Cochem
Day 8 (5/4) - Burg Eltz, crusie from Traben-Trarbach to Bernkastel; sleep: Cochem
Day 9 (5/5) - Cochem, Trier; sleep: Heidelberg
Day 10 (5/6) - Heidelberg; sleep: Strasbourg
Day 11 (5/7) - Strasbourg; sleep: Strasbourg
Day 12 (5/8) - Paris
Day 13 (5/9) - Paris
Day 14 (5/10) - Paris
Day 15 (5/11) - Paris
Departure on May 11 at 14:30
A few pieces of information that I feel would explain parts of this draft itinerary:
(1) It is my mom's dream to visit Keukenhof and I'm hoping that the garden will be somewhat close to full bloom in late April.
(2) Paris. What more do I need to say.
(3) Another highlight of our tour would be visiting the Rhine and Mosel. We originally planned to go through Belgium enroute to Paris, but then we watched travel videos that depict these dramatic castles overlooking scenic rivers and we realized that they're very much within reach for us. So we decided to plan that into our itinerary.
A big part of travel to me is to experience the distinctive character of a place, hence anything of historic or significance interests me. As for my mother, she loves pretty and romantic places. Quaint little shops on cobblestone streets would be heavenly for her.
What do you guys think about this itinerary? Am I spending too much (candidate: Holland) or too little time (candidate: Paris) in some of these places? Are there any places along this route that we should be including or eliminating? Is Amsterdam gonna be really packed on Queen's Day? I think we can work the R-P tickets into my Day 7-9, but are there any other discount railway tickets that we can take advantage of? Would the V-E Day on May 8 impact my itinerary?
Also, are there any transportation or railway museums remotely close to the places I'm going? I'm willing to make a small detour if such museum exists.
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is Europcar ok if I have no other choice?
- 2 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 3 Camino Redux
- 4 15+ days in Sicily -- first crack at itinerary
- 5 Rome For 2 days
- 6 Rome Hotel: Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona?
- 7 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 8 The highlands
- 9 Staying on Ile de la Cite
- 10 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 11 Non-alcoholic drinks to try in Andalusia
- 12 Sightseeing Around Belgrade, Serbia
- 13 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 14 Immigration entering UK to visit BF! Need advice!
- 15 Best way to see Croatia?
- 16 Vienna to Bratislava
- 17 Amalie/Rome
- 18 *Help!* Puglia vs Sicily vs Amalfi Coast?
- 19 Venice at Christmas
- 20 Crazy Question regarding Flat Iron usage in Europe
- 21 Help with Germany and Eastern Europe
- 22 Berlin to Barcelona
- 23 countries to visit in October and November
- 24 Montpellier to Arles
- 25 Parma and Matova/Mantua - car rental