I am hoping to travel to Italy in November for 10 days with my husband for the first time. We've been dreaming for years and want to make sure we see the sites but also try to research our family history. Our thoughts are to visit Rome, Pompeii, and Florence for the touristy sites (for art/history), but also thinking about Sala Consilina (near Naples) and Messina (Sicily) since that's where our family came.
Would you all share your opinions if we are trying to squeeze too many stops into our trip? Are we missing out on something even better? Do you think an average person could/should try to research genealogy in Italy? Should we try to include Sicily into our trip? Are we silly to try to travel in late November? Just trying to use our Thanksgiving vacation for travel.
Any suggestions you might have would be most appreciated. Thank you from an excited future traveler!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 2 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 3 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 4 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 5 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 6 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 7 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 8 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 9 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 10 3 nights in Madrid
- 11 Help with Ireland Trip
- 12 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 13 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 14 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 15 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 16 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 17 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 18 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 19 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 20 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 21 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 22 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 23 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 24 Iceland trip report!
- 25 Swimming in Lake Bled?
first time traveler to Italy hoping to research family history