I am hoping to travel to Italy in November for 10 days with my husband for the first time. We've been dreaming for years and want to make sure we see the sites but also try to research our family history. Our thoughts are to visit Rome, Pompeii, and Florence for the touristy sites (for art/history), but also thinking about Sala Consilina (near Naples) and Messina (Sicily) since that's where our family came.
Would you all share your opinions if we are trying to squeeze too many stops into our trip? Are we missing out on something even better? Do you think an average person could/should try to research genealogy in Italy? Should we try to include Sicily into our trip? Are we silly to try to travel in late November? Just trying to use our Thanksgiving vacation for travel.
Any suggestions you might have would be most appreciated. Thank you from an excited future traveler!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 2 Cordoba Overnight?
- 3 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 4 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 5 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 6 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 7 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 8 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 9 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 10 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 11 dinner jackets
- 12 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 13 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 14 Italy Switzerland Croata Itinerary Help
- 15 Weekend in Galicia -- Sil River Gorge
- 16 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 17 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 18 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 19 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 20 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 21 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 22 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
- 23 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 24 Piedmont as a destination
- 25 2 weeks Europe trip
first time traveler to Italy hoping to research family history