My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TOSHIBA@ printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h Care 24x7
- 2 EPSON@ printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:888:279:0246 Tec*h Care 24x7
- 3 YAHOO@ Password Reset☎ CONTACT 1-800-982-8520 Tec*h SUPP0RT
- 4 Hotels in Turin
- 5 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 6 Help on ancient history route
- 7 3 days solo in London
- 8 Chania
- 9 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 10 Now to Madrid
- 11 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 12 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 13 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 14 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 15 Natural History Museum: Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- 16 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 17 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 18 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 19 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 20 Sicily: which coast?
- 21 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 22 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 23 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 24 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 25 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure