My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 2 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 3 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 4 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 5 Prague
- 6 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 7 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 8 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 9 current best wisdom on taxis from CDG to 17eme
- 10 Amsterdam hotels during summer
- 11 A week in Paris
- 12 38 Days in Paris
- 13 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 14 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 15 2 Months in Sicily
- 16 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 17 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 18 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 19 London GTG in June, Anyone?
- 20 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 21 Azores
- 22 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 23 Sundays in Puglia
- 24 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 25 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!