My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is 2hr25m layover enough to collect and recheck baggage?
- 2 Italy trains question
- 3 Copenhagen / Stockholm trip advice
- 4 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 5 Lisboa upscale hotel choice (??)
- 6 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 7 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 8 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 9 Iceland in July
- 10 Sample itinerary Germany in March
- 11 Itinerary….Need help from Ireland Guru's
- 12 Lisbon Airport - A Huge Mess
- 13 5 Ladies, 4 Destinations and 1 Month
- 14 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 15 Spain and Portugal for two and a half weeks
- 16 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 17 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 18 Le Marche, Italy
- 19 Seville Itinerary
- 20 flying into Lyon..have 10 days
- 21 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 22 La Cite du Vin, has anyone visited ?
- 23 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 24 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 25 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?