My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 2 European Cooking Secrets
- 3 Venice to Positano to Rome travel help
- 4 Beaune looking for accommodation suggestions
- 5 Fodor's Survey
- 6 Northern Italy 1 week HELP
- 7 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 8 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 9 Barcelona question
- 10 Azores, Canary Islands, Mallorca, or Hawaii for August Honeymoon
- 11 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 12 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 13 My 60th birthday surprises
- 14 20 Days in Europe
- 15 4 days in switzerland
- 16 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 17 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 18 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 19 Beginner travelers on a budget to Marseille
- 20 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 21 March in Amsterdam 1 week spring break
- 22 Andalusia, Tangiers, Barcelona?
- 23 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 24 Rome, Florence and a cruise this fall
- 25 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!