My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A few last minute questions
- 2 Need suggestions on where to stay in Porto?
- 3 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 4 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 5 Gluten Free in Italy
- 6 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 7 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 8 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 9 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 10 restaurants and stores in Haut-de-Cagnes in late October?
- 11 Twelve Nights: Venice, Bologna & Paris (plus Ravenna)
- 12 Trip to Spain in the Fall
- 13 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 14 The Bridges of Wroclaw
- 15 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 16 Venice, Italy to Amalfi coast
- 17 Sentimental Journey
- 18 Stay in Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi?
- 19 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 20 Portugal trains
- 21 Ireland - Northern or Western
- 22 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 23 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 24 Swiss German
- 25 Dublin Ireland Theatre Advice Needed