My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 2 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 3 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 4 Spanish Medical Providers
- 5 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 Barcelona alternative
- 8 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 9 Frankfurt to UK
- 10 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 11 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 12 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 13 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 14 Italy Car Scam
- 15 God Save the Queen?
- 16 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 17 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 18 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 19 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 20 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 21 Paris to Italy
- 22 9 Days in Spain
- 23 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 24 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 25 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?