My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 2 Tour groups
- 3 Super Cover For Hertz
- 4 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 5 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 6 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 Hotel in Vienna
- 9 Church service in Dubrovnik
- 10 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 11 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 12 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 13 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 14 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 15 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 16 9 days and nights in Switzerland
- 17 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 18 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 19 Five day Iceland getaway in rainy November
- 20 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 21 Baby Milk
- 22 French restaurants
- 23 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 24 5-day rpad trip from Toulouse that includes Lourdes
- 25 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please