My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 2 Shorts in South of France?
- 3 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 4 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 5 Greece mainland and islands
- 6 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 7 Lyon france-- rental car
- 8 Last minute trip to Germany and Switzerland
- 9 Switzerland in September
- 10 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 11 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 12 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 13 Staying in Madrid for one night?
- 14 Tours vs solo travel (want to see as much as possible in 3-4 months)
- 15 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 16 milano trip
- 17 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 18 Milan and Lake Como
- 19 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 20 What is the hostess gift you love to give or receive?
- 21 Pottery factory tour on Poland (?)
- 22 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 23 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 24 Greece mainland and islands for 3 weeks
- 25 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid