My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 2 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 3 Seville in late January
- 4 Norfolk base
- 5 Berlin restaurant recs
- 6 Macedonia - the land of sun!
- 7 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 8 RFID Protection
- 9 3 days to spend in europe
- 10 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 11 Drinks in Spain
- 12 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 13 12 days europe
- 14 Beaches in Southern France
- 15 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 16 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 17 Croatia Roadtrip: Plitvice -> Dubrovnik in August
- 18 Travelling to Shiroka Luka, Bulgaria
- 19 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 20 Train from London to Leeds and from York to London
- 21 Dordogne day trips by boat - options?
- 22 Spain Itinerary Help
- 23 Train in France-1st versus 2nd class?
- 24 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 25 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.