My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
First time travel tips- London and Copenhagen
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best Dresden hotels & restaurants
- 2 Anyone know anything about Habitat Italy rental agency?
- 3 Traveling for First time to Italy and Spain. NEED HELP!!
- 4 Sicily Suggetions
- 5 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 6 Easter in Sicily
- 7 Melk to Krems Danube River Cruise
- 8 We are off to France again!!
- 9 London Trip Report - Textiles & Chocolate
- 10 From Paris to the Riviera (15 days honeymoon)
- 11 Outdoor Adventures in Sicily in late July/early August?
- 12 Seville Day Trip - Cordoba or Ronda
- 13 Dulwich Picture Gallery
- 14 Spain-Have 3 days between Barcelona and Madrid in early September
- 15 One island on way from Greece to Turkey
- 16 Calling different phones while in Italy
- 17 Driving from Istanbul to Bodrum
- 18 YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS IN OXFORD
- 19 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 20 Italy/France 22 day Itinerary - Help
- 21 Self tours of Jewish Quarter Budapest
- 22 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 23 Trip Report -Prague, Kutna Hora, Karlstejn, Paris and Chartres
- 24 Best hotel & restaurants in Bruges
- 25 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please