My sister and I will be traveling to London, UK and Copenhagen, DK this winter. This will be our first time traveling outside North America. We've booked flights, hotels, etc. My only "concerns" (I know they are probably minor) are cultural.
Most of the clothing I have laid out to pack is casual and/or semi-formal. As we are traveling in wintertime, I was going to pack a pair of thick jeans and timberland boots as well. I usually wouldn't think twice about bringing or wearing them, but as we will be staying in a more upscale hotel (Hotel Russell in London) and we are young people traveling (21 and 25) and I don't want to come across as "trashy" or troublesome kids, or attract any stares/negative attention. Plus, leaving them home frees up a lot of room in my suitcase.
My other concern is language use in Denmark. I've been told that virtually all Danes in urban areas and the tourist industry speak at least some English. We are of Danish- American background and do have a limited vocabulary in the Danish language. Would it be polite to use our basic Danish at all (such as hello/goodbye, please/thank you, where is____, etc.) or would that come across as "frustrating" or even "rude"? I only ask because I have heard French friends complaining about Americans and Britons trying to attempt French with them, and how they resent this "butchering" of their language.
Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 2 Spain in July
- 3 릴게임오리지널신천지 ≪ 접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 4 5 Days in Switzerland
- 5 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 6 We're here!
- 7 6-7 Days in France
- 8 Another tipping question: concierges
- 9 Korean Messages
- 10 Budapest in December 2017
- 11 Car hire with driver in Istanbul
- 12 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 13 릴게임오리지널신천지 ≪ 접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 14 Ronda: cheap parking, where to find?
- 15 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 16 릴게임오리지널신천지 ≪ 접속주소 :≫vtk15.com≪
- 17 Acropolis Athens
- 18 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 19 Trip Ideas
- 20 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 21 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 22 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 23 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 24 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 25 Interesting places to visit