We are a family of 3 who will be spending 7 nights in Switzerland next June. Originally we planned to go to Spain but hubby had a total change of heart....I am not familiar with Switzerland at all, so I am starting from point zero and would love some advice from all the experts here. We will spend 7 nights in Switzerland prior to getting on a 7 nights river cruise cruising from Basel through Germany, and it ends in Amsterdam. I like to use Lucerne as the base for the first 3 days and the following 3 in Interlaken, staying close to the train station. I am thinking of planning our itinerary like this:
Day 1 -Arrival in Zurich. Take train directly to Lucerne. Get oriented, probably cannot do too much touring after a long flight from SFO
Day 2-Lucerne-Tour in Lucerne
Day 3-Day trip to Bern. Good choice? Seems lovely!
Day4-Train to interlaken. Cruise Lake Brienz or Lake Thun? Other suggestions of activites?
Day 5-Interlaken--Day trip to Jungfraujoch. Hope weather permits.
Day6-Interlaken-Thinking of going to Murren. Any other places you would recommend besides Murren?
Day 7-Train to Basel. Spend day in Basel and will get on river cruise the next day.
My husband and I are in our early 40's and our son is 12 years old who is a great traveler. We are pretty much "slow travelers" and don't like to rush around. We enjoy nature, history, architecture and great food. We like to take lots of walk when we travel but we are not necessarily the best mountain hikers. We hate to have to pack and unpack and hop around everyday so I am only planning on lodging in Lucerne and Interlaken. Basel is a must for the last night since we have to make sure we get on the river cruise the next day.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 hotmail mail solutions CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 3 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 4 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 5 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 6 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 7 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 8 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 9 Stuck in Paris
- 10 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 11 Berlin to ?
- 12 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 13 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 14 Renting a car in Greece
- 15 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 16 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 17 Spain - day driver advice
- 18 Greece
- 19 Ex-pats with young kids
- 20 Iceland france spain
- 21 Ludwig Castles
- 22 Help on ancient history route
- 23 London with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Paris hotel
- 25 Fly out Venice or Rome