We are a family of 3 who will be spending 7 nights in Switzerland next June. Originally we planned to go to Spain but hubby had a total change of heart....I am not familiar with Switzerland at all, so I am starting from point zero and would love some advice from all the experts here. We will spend 7 nights in Switzerland prior to getting on a 7 nights river cruise cruising from Basel through Germany, and it ends in Amsterdam. I like to use Lucerne as the base for the first 3 days and the following 3 in Interlaken, staying close to the train station. I am thinking of planning our itinerary like this:
Day 1 -Arrival in Zurich. Take train directly to Lucerne. Get oriented, probably cannot do too much touring after a long flight from SFO
Day 2-Lucerne-Tour in Lucerne
Day 3-Day trip to Bern. Good choice? Seems lovely!
Day4-Train to interlaken. Cruise Lake Brienz or Lake Thun? Other suggestions of activites?
Day 5-Interlaken--Day trip to Jungfraujoch. Hope weather permits.
Day6-Interlaken-Thinking of going to Murren. Any other places you would recommend besides Murren?
Day 7-Train to Basel. Spend day in Basel and will get on river cruise the next day.
My husband and I are in our early 40's and our son is 12 years old who is a great traveler. We are pretty much "slow travelers" and don't like to rush around. We enjoy nature, history, architecture and great food. We like to take lots of walk when we travel but we are not necessarily the best mountain hikers. We hate to have to pack and unpack and hop around everyday so I am only planning on lodging in Lucerne and Interlaken. Basel is a must for the last night since we have to make sure we get on the river cruise the next day.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 Our future trip to Greece
- 3 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 4 Russia in two weeks in December
- 5 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 6 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 7 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 8 Christmas Day in Granada
- 9 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 10 car insurance italy
- 11 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 12 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 13 Venice/Mestre
- 14 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 15 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 16 Spanish Medical Providers
- 17 Transylvania - June 2018
- 18 Italy Car Scam
- 19 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 20 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 21 Krakow
- 22 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 23 Quizz !
- 24 Pay attention to your watches !
- 25 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP