Husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe in 2016. We are both in our 30's but my parents are looking to tag along towards the end of the trip and are in their late 50's. We are ending the Poland portion of our trip by flying into Rome. Originally I planned to go to Positano because the images and reviews were stunning - lots of water activities and everything was gorgeous, however it's more efficient both in time and money for us to leave it out and instead go North to Florence and then end our trip with a relaxing few days in an Italian coastal city like Portofino or Cinque Terre. I keep reading reviews that rank Positano slightly above Portofino though - and can't help but feel like I'm missing out. We live in Hawaii and my Dad is a man of the water, so I am just looking for a coastal area where he can enjoy the ocean, Mom can enjoy reading a book on the beach with the charm of the city behind her, and my husband and I can enjoy a romantic dinner! I'm thinking if I keep Positano off the list I can always return someday and make it a trip of its own with Capri and Cicily and perhaps a hop over to Greece... but who knows if/when that will ever happen. What would you recommend, any coastal areas I'm overlooking? Is Positano a must-do?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 2 Beach + City + Hiking + Art + Views + Food =
- 3 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 4 No Periods in British Written English!
- 5 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 6 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 7 Day trips from Florence
- 8 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 9 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 10 May get together in Paris
- 11 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 12 Madrid/Lisbon
- 13 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 14 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 15 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 16 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 17 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 18 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 19 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 20 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 21 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving
- 22 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 23 Relais Il Canalicchio
- 24 Oporto
- 25 Sao Miguel, Azores