Husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe in 2016. We are both in our 30's but my parents are looking to tag along towards the end of the trip and are in their late 50's. We are ending the Poland portion of our trip by flying into Rome. Originally I planned to go to Positano because the images and reviews were stunning - lots of water activities and everything was gorgeous, however it's more efficient both in time and money for us to leave it out and instead go North to Florence and then end our trip with a relaxing few days in an Italian coastal city like Portofino or Cinque Terre. I keep reading reviews that rank Positano slightly above Portofino though - and can't help but feel like I'm missing out. We live in Hawaii and my Dad is a man of the water, so I am just looking for a coastal area where he can enjoy the ocean, Mom can enjoy reading a book on the beach with the charm of the city behind her, and my husband and I can enjoy a romantic dinner! I'm thinking if I keep Positano off the list I can always return someday and make it a trip of its own with Capri and Cicily and perhaps a hop over to Greece... but who knows if/when that will ever happen. What would you recommend, any coastal areas I'm overlooking? Is Positano a must-do?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 2 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 3 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 4 Swiss Travel Pass
- 5 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 6 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 7 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 8 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 9 Another tipping question: concierges
- 10 24 hours in Zurich
- 11 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 12 Summer Travel order
- 13 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 14 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 15 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 16 Trip suggestion
- 17 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 18 Places to visit during a semester in Spain
- 19 Spain in July
- 20 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 21 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 22 Dijon in December!
- 23 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 24 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 25 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?