Husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe in 2016. We are both in our 30's but my parents are looking to tag along towards the end of the trip and are in their late 50's. We are ending the Poland portion of our trip by flying into Rome. Originally I planned to go to Positano because the images and reviews were stunning - lots of water activities and everything was gorgeous, however it's more efficient both in time and money for us to leave it out and instead go North to Florence and then end our trip with a relaxing few days in an Italian coastal city like Portofino or Cinque Terre. I keep reading reviews that rank Positano slightly above Portofino though - and can't help but feel like I'm missing out. We live in Hawaii and my Dad is a man of the water, so I am just looking for a coastal area where he can enjoy the ocean, Mom can enjoy reading a book on the beach with the charm of the city behind her, and my husband and I can enjoy a romantic dinner! I'm thinking if I keep Positano off the list I can always return someday and make it a trip of its own with Capri and Cicily and perhaps a hop over to Greece... but who knows if/when that will ever happen. What would you recommend, any coastal areas I'm overlooking? Is Positano a must-do?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 3 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 4 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 5 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 6 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 7 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 8 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 9 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 10 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 11 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 12 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 13 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 16 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 17 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 18 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 19 Bruges
- 20 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 21 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 22 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 23 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 24 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 25 Planning A trip