Hello, world travelers!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer, and are looking for advice from experienced European travelers. We haven't traveled pretty much at all, so we're nervous to try to do this on our own. We are open to both guided and independent tours, or trying to do it on our own, but don't know which one would be better for us. We are hoping to spend 10 to 14 days on our trip. We are hoping to spend under $7,000 (including airfare). Here are our requirements/wants:
1. We want to see multiple cities, probably 3-4. We are interested in Western Europe. The "must sees" are London and Paris, but we are open to any other cities beyond those two. The "guided tours" that sound most interesting to us usually involve London, Paris, and Rome.
2. We are not the "party" types, and don't drink...BUT we still want to be with a "youngish" crowd if we were to do a tour. We are both 27.
3. We want to do this in the most economical way possible (doesn't everybody??), but we don't want to stay in gross hotels, and we don't want to share rooms with other people.
4. We want to see the "highlights," since this is our first trip (which is why we are open to tours).
We have heard mixed reviews from friends regarding guided tours, but that's what we're leaning towards, since we're "travel virgins," so to speak. Any advice that people could give would be great. We specifically want to know what tours people have gone on, or if they've done it alone and how they went about that. Where should we start? What sites are good resources? And anything else people would like to impart. Thanks in advance!
First time to Europe- Need advice!
Hello, world travelers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 2 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 3 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 4 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 5 Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?
- 6 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 7 going to italy
- 8 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 9 Are taxis easily obtained at the train station in Florence?
- 10 Stay away from EF Tours
- 11 Home base stay in Italy for vacation
- 12 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around
- 13 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 14 Thanks to Fodorites for help planning Paris/London trip
- 15 Italy things to do?
- 16 Getting cash in Spain
- 17 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 18 St. Paul's Cathedral bells
- 19 Sirop and Sandwiches, Normandy, Loire and Paris with our grandsons
- 20 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 21 How to do St. Petersburg in 24 or 48 hours with no visa?
- 22 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 23 Help w/ rental car arrangements-Pickup in Lisbon, Portugal-Drop in Seville?
- 24 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 25 A town in France for a month