Hello, world travelers!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer, and are looking for advice from experienced European travelers. We haven't traveled pretty much at all, so we're nervous to try to do this on our own. We are open to both guided and independent tours, or trying to do it on our own, but don't know which one would be better for us. We are hoping to spend 10 to 14 days on our trip. We are hoping to spend under $7,000 (including airfare). Here are our requirements/wants:
1. We want to see multiple cities, probably 3-4. We are interested in Western Europe. The "must sees" are London and Paris, but we are open to any other cities beyond those two. The "guided tours" that sound most interesting to us usually involve London, Paris, and Rome.
2. We are not the "party" types, and don't drink...BUT we still want to be with a "youngish" crowd if we were to do a tour. We are both 27.
3. We want to do this in the most economical way possible (doesn't everybody??), but we don't want to stay in gross hotels, and we don't want to share rooms with other people.
4. We want to see the "highlights," since this is our first trip (which is why we are open to tours).
We have heard mixed reviews from friends regarding guided tours, but that's what we're leaning towards, since we're "travel virgins," so to speak. Any advice that people could give would be great. We specifically want to know what tours people have gone on, or if they've done it alone and how they went about that. Where should we start? What sites are good resources? And anything else people would like to impart. Thanks in advance!
First time to Europe- Need advice!
Hello, world travelers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 2 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 3 Croatia in August - 2 weeks, 2 kids
- 4 Bavaria & Dolomites
- 5 Golfing in Ireland
- 6 Foie gras, redux
- 7 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 8 Short-stay apartment in Italy -- common practices?
- 9 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 10 Train to Airport in Venice
- 11 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 12 Hire car seville to lisbon
- 13 Livorno to Florence from cruise ship
- 14 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 15 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 16 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 17 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 18 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 19 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 20 Airport to Piraeus
- 21 Trieste and Koper
- 22 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 23 Paris 3 days and then to Burgundy for 2 weeks: Car?
- 24 Very early departure from Istanbul airport
- 25 What still confounds you about travel?