Hello, world travelers!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe this summer, and are looking for advice from experienced European travelers. We haven't traveled pretty much at all, so we're nervous to try to do this on our own. We are open to both guided and independent tours, or trying to do it on our own, but don't know which one would be better for us. We are hoping to spend 10 to 14 days on our trip. We are hoping to spend under $7,000 (including airfare). Here are our requirements/wants:
1. We want to see multiple cities, probably 3-4. We are interested in Western Europe. The "must sees" are London and Paris, but we are open to any other cities beyond those two. The "guided tours" that sound most interesting to us usually involve London, Paris, and Rome.
2. We are not the "party" types, and don't drink...BUT we still want to be with a "youngish" crowd if we were to do a tour. We are both 27.
3. We want to do this in the most economical way possible (doesn't everybody??), but we don't want to stay in gross hotels, and we don't want to share rooms with other people.
4. We want to see the "highlights," since this is our first trip (which is why we are open to tours).
We have heard mixed reviews from friends regarding guided tours, but that's what we're leaning towards, since we're "travel virgins," so to speak. Any advice that people could give would be great. We specifically want to know what tours people have gone on, or if they've done it alone and how they went about that. Where should we start? What sites are good resources? And anything else people would like to impart. Thanks in advance!
First time to Europe- Need advice!
Hello, world travelers!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 2 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 3 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 4 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 5 things in Rhonda
- 6 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 7 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 8 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 9 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 10 Northern Spain literature
- 11 Is May Day a big deal in Barcelona?
- 12 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 13 10 days in England
- 14 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 15 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 16 Which hotel in Lisbon?
- 17 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 18 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 19 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 20 Croatia itinerary
- 21 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 22 Trip report/blog - 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium, and South Africa
- 23 Dilemma for Switzerland
- 24 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 25 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy