We are planning our very first trip to Italy, and hoping to visit Rome, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast. We will be there at the tail end of August through the first week of September. Tentative Itinerary:
Arrive in Rome, then straight to Amalfi Coast (3 days). Then Tuscany (3 days) then Rome (3 days) then return home.
- should we drive or train? We would've just landed in Rome, so I'm not sure if it's over ambitious to want to drive on the roads of Italy with the jet lag, but I hear it's beautiful!
- should we stay in Positano or Naples
- is it worth going to Capri for a day
- really want to explore the countryside of Italy and either bike or drive in the area, planning to make Siena our base, good idea?
- which areas are best for recreational biking?
- any suggestions for cooking lessons for a day (not too expensive)
- plan to visit: Siena, Florence, San Gamignano, and Cortona
- any hotel suggestions?
Thank you in advance for all your suggestions and advice.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 2 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 Spanish Medical Providers
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 7 9 Days in Spain
- 8 Road trip with our dog
- 9 Frankfurt to UK
- 10 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 11 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 12 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 13 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 14 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 15 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 16 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 17 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 18 Paris to Italy
- 19 Electrical Power Conversion
- 20 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 21 Douro Valley in January?
- 22 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 23 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 24 Switzerland Trip Report 7 Days September End
- 25 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna