It's been a while, Fodorites!
My aunt and I are taking a cruise that stops for a day (more like half a day) at Santorini in early July. Dock/tender time is 2:00 pm and sail time is at 10:00 pm. Initially, I thought we could take the cable car up to Fira, then hike the trail to Oia, with plenty of time for photography. Then catch dinner at Taverna Katina, grab a bus or taxi back to Fira, and take the cable car back down to the ship.
After researching, it seems like that might not be the best idea - I see conversations where buses/taxis might be busy coming out of Oia, especially in peak season, and we definitely don't want to miss our sail time.
I'd appreciate any input to these options, plus any other suggestions:
1) Ideally - cable car from port to Fira, hike to Oia, food at Katina, few more photo ops, then bus back to Fira, cable car to port.
2) Cable car from Old Port to Fira, bus to Oia, eat late lunch, then hike back to Fira, cable car to port.
-If we get to Katina at an odd time, like 4pm, will we be able to eat (are they open all afternoon/evening)?
-Where the heck is the bus station in Fira? I have googled this every way I can, studied the satellite map, looked at the KTEL Santorini bus website (it shows 2 different pinpoints in Fira) and I still can't find the dang thing! Cross-streets would be great!
-How long is the bus ride between Fira and Oia?
-Am I totally crazy for picking this one specific plan of action? We are both walkers/hikers/photographers and I thought it would be a good way to spend our minimal time there and get something out it, but maybe I'm way off base?
No matter which scenario, I think we'll be in transit around 8-8:30 to ensure we're getting on the ship, which happens to be sunset time. So the plan may be to watch the sunset from the boat (or catch it on the cable car!) - would this be the worst view?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 2 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 3 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 4 No Periods in British Written English!
- 5 Doumo to Lampugnano bus station
- 6 How to rent a car
- 7 Mayrhofen August with nearly 5 year old and 5 months old?
- 8 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 9 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 10 Day trips from Florence
- 11 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 12 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 15 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 16 Perugia
- 17 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 18 May get together in Paris
- 19 Paris in September
- 20 Sicily Car Rental Company
- 21 First time in Bulgaria
- 22 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 23 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 24 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 25 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
Fira to Oia questions - bus and/or hike, with time constraints
It's been a while, Fodorites!