It's been a while, Fodorites!
My aunt and I are taking a cruise that stops for a day (more like half a day) at Santorini in early July. Dock/tender time is 2:00 pm and sail time is at 10:00 pm. Initially, I thought we could take the cable car up to Fira, then hike the trail to Oia, with plenty of time for photography. Then catch dinner at Taverna Katina, grab a bus or taxi back to Fira, and take the cable car back down to the ship.
After researching, it seems like that might not be the best idea - I see conversations where buses/taxis might be busy coming out of Oia, especially in peak season, and we definitely don't want to miss our sail time.
I'd appreciate any input to these options, plus any other suggestions:
1) Ideally - cable car from port to Fira, hike to Oia, food at Katina, few more photo ops, then bus back to Fira, cable car to port.
2) Cable car from Old Port to Fira, bus to Oia, eat late lunch, then hike back to Fira, cable car to port.
-If we get to Katina at an odd time, like 4pm, will we be able to eat (are they open all afternoon/evening)?
-Where the heck is the bus station in Fira? I have googled this every way I can, studied the satellite map, looked at the KTEL Santorini bus website (it shows 2 different pinpoints in Fira) and I still can't find the dang thing! Cross-streets would be great!
-How long is the bus ride between Fira and Oia?
-Am I totally crazy for picking this one specific plan of action? We are both walkers/hikers/photographers and I thought it would be a good way to spend our minimal time there and get something out it, but maybe I'm way off base?
No matter which scenario, I think we'll be in transit around 8-8:30 to ensure we're getting on the ship, which happens to be sunset time. So the plan may be to watch the sunset from the boat (or catch it on the cable car!) - would this be the worst view?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 2 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 3 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 4 Lille Braderie 2017
- 5 Europe First Timers
- 6 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 7 Rome or Venice first
- 8 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 9 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 10 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 11 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 12 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 13 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 14 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 15 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 16 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 17 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 18 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 19 Athens Help
- 20 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 21 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 22 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 23 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 24 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 25 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise
Fira to Oia questions - bus and/or hike, with time constraints
It's been a while, Fodorites!