It's been a while, Fodorites!
My aunt and I are taking a cruise that stops for a day (more like half a day) at Santorini in early July. Dock/tender time is 2:00 pm and sail time is at 10:00 pm. Initially, I thought we could take the cable car up to Fira, then hike the trail to Oia, with plenty of time for photography. Then catch dinner at Taverna Katina, grab a bus or taxi back to Fira, and take the cable car back down to the ship.
After researching, it seems like that might not be the best idea - I see conversations where buses/taxis might be busy coming out of Oia, especially in peak season, and we definitely don't want to miss our sail time.
I'd appreciate any input to these options, plus any other suggestions:
1) Ideally - cable car from port to Fira, hike to Oia, food at Katina, few more photo ops, then bus back to Fira, cable car to port.
2) Cable car from Old Port to Fira, bus to Oia, eat late lunch, then hike back to Fira, cable car to port.
-If we get to Katina at an odd time, like 4pm, will we be able to eat (are they open all afternoon/evening)?
-Where the heck is the bus station in Fira? I have googled this every way I can, studied the satellite map, looked at the KTEL Santorini bus website (it shows 2 different pinpoints in Fira) and I still can't find the dang thing! Cross-streets would be great!
-How long is the bus ride between Fira and Oia?
-Am I totally crazy for picking this one specific plan of action? We are both walkers/hikers/photographers and I thought it would be a good way to spend our minimal time there and get something out it, but maybe I'm way off base?
No matter which scenario, I think we'll be in transit around 8-8:30 to ensure we're getting on the ship, which happens to be sunset time. So the plan may be to watch the sunset from the boat (or catch it on the cable car!) - would this be the worst view?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 2 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 3 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 4 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 5 Short Trip in July
- 6 Things to do in Brussels
- 7 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 8 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 9 Greek Islands (small)
- 10 Campervan in Croatia
- 11 K-Day
- 12 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 13 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 14 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 15 UK Visa Help
- 16 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 17 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 18 Spain in December
- 19 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 20 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 21 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 22 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 23 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 24 Cell Phone Question
- 25 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
Fira to Oia questions - bus and/or hike, with time constraints
It's been a while, Fodorites!