It's been a while, Fodorites!
My aunt and I are taking a cruise that stops for a day (more like half a day) at Santorini in early July. Dock/tender time is 2:00 pm and sail time is at 10:00 pm. Initially, I thought we could take the cable car up to Fira, then hike the trail to Oia, with plenty of time for photography. Then catch dinner at Taverna Katina, grab a bus or taxi back to Fira, and take the cable car back down to the ship.
After researching, it seems like that might not be the best idea - I see conversations where buses/taxis might be busy coming out of Oia, especially in peak season, and we definitely don't want to miss our sail time.
I'd appreciate any input to these options, plus any other suggestions:
1) Ideally - cable car from port to Fira, hike to Oia, food at Katina, few more photo ops, then bus back to Fira, cable car to port.
2) Cable car from Old Port to Fira, bus to Oia, eat late lunch, then hike back to Fira, cable car to port.
-If we get to Katina at an odd time, like 4pm, will we be able to eat (are they open all afternoon/evening)?
-Where the heck is the bus station in Fira? I have googled this every way I can, studied the satellite map, looked at the KTEL Santorini bus website (it shows 2 different pinpoints in Fira) and I still can't find the dang thing! Cross-streets would be great!
-How long is the bus ride between Fira and Oia?
-Am I totally crazy for picking this one specific plan of action? We are both walkers/hikers/photographers and I thought it would be a good way to spend our minimal time there and get something out it, but maybe I'm way off base?
No matter which scenario, I think we'll be in transit around 8-8:30 to ensure we're getting on the ship, which happens to be sunset time. So the plan may be to watch the sunset from the boat (or catch it on the cable car!) - would this be the worst view?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from milano and torino december 2017
- 2 Andalucia Spain
- 3 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 4 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 5 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 6 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 7 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 8 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 9 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 10 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 11 Barcelona - places to stay
- 12 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 13 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 14 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 15 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 16 Christmas Markets 2017
- 17 Language to use in Belgium
- 18 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 19 Istanbul at Easter
- 20 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 21 Palermo Apartment
- 22 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 25 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
Fira to Oia questions - bus and/or hike, with time constraints
It's been a while, Fodorites!