My husband and I are in our mid 60s and making our first trip trip to Switzerland for 8 days in early September. With lots of help from these forums, I’ve got our plans pretty well laid out, but further suggestions would be most welcome.
We enjoy hiking and taking in all the gorgeous scenery. Throw in a bit of adventure. We’re neither big city people nor into museums.
Here’s our itinerary:
Fly into Zurich 8 am Wed morning and head directly for Luzern.
Luzerne 2 nights
Wengen 5 nights
Vevay 1 night
Catch 11:30 am flight to Genvea
Thinking that might need to keep activities light as recuperating from jet lag
Mt. Rigi with steamer boat trip to Vitznau and return via Weggis and train back
Enjoying the sights of Luzern
Considering Stadtkeller for Swedish folk music (will I hear it elsewhere?)
A number of hikes/walks including:
Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidgg
Lauterbrunn to Trummelbach Falls
Grutschalp to Murren and combine with North Face Trail
Schynige Platte to First
Hike around Lake Bachalpsee
Trips up to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn – weather permitting
Boat trip to Brienz and enjoy woodcarving town
Trotti bikes down to Grindlewald
Day trip to Bern for rainy day activity
Goldnpass route to Montreux with side trip stop to Gruyeres – possibly cheese and chocolate tour nearby
Castle de Chillon
We are planning on buying the Half Fare Card. I have seen that Bernese Oberland pass has been offered at 2 for 1 in September. Is this something that they do every year?
What is the likelihood that I might see a cheese making operation outside of the factory tour in Gruyere’s?
With my last day being pretty full, should I change out the chocolate show in Interlaken for the chocolate shop at LeBroc?
Are my plans doable?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway in a Nutshell - Travel Report
- 2 Bergen Hotel -- near Port ?
- 3 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 4 Azores
- 5 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 6 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 7 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 8 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 9 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 10 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 11 Short Trip in July
- 12 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 13 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 14 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 15 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 16 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 17 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 18 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 19 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 20 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 21 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 22 Sim Card Options
- 23 Greek Islands (small)
- 24 38 Days in Paris
- 25 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK