Day 1 - arrive in Vienna at ~2:00 PM - 24 hours to see Mozart sights - would you recommend dinner in a beer garden or heurigen? (we still have Salzburg coming ahead)
Day 2 - leave mid/late afternoon via train to Salzburg (the day that the Salzburg Festival is apparently ending - is this a positive or negative thing in terms of restaurants, crowds, events and activities? Our focus is Mozart and eating. Preferably sauerkraut and potato salad.)
Day 3 - full day in Salzburg, focus on Mozart sights - planning to do St. Peter's Stiftskeller for dinner concert
Day 4 - leave Salzburg via train to Interlaken - via Buchs, Zurich, Bern - arrive around 4 PM and stay in Interlaken for 3 nights
Day 5 - Berner Oberland - is the Swiss Open Air Folk Museum highly recommended?
Day 6 - Berner Oberland
Day 7 - leave for French Alps via Golden Rail train, arrive in Lausanne and stay for 3 nights
Day 8 - French Alps area
Day 9 - French Alps area
Day 10 - leave for Lyon, 1 day in Lyon and early flight out the next AM - what are not miss sights? We are just planning to eat!
Any comments are appreciated! I got some great advice on previous threads but just want to see if anyone has any personal experiences or tips to share at this point. Maneuvering trains and carry on luggage, managing crowds, a favorite restaurant, dressing for weather, anything! We'll be there end of August/early September. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Revised itinerary for italy
- 2 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 3 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 6 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 7 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 8 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 9 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 10 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 11 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 12 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 13 Juangfrau / mt
- 14 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 15 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 16 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 17 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 18 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 19 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 22 Questions about Polish sights
- 23 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 24 If you had to choose one......
- 25 UK in July -- early planning stages
Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?