Day 1 - arrive in Vienna at ~2:00 PM - 24 hours to see Mozart sights - would you recommend dinner in a beer garden or heurigen? (we still have Salzburg coming ahead)
Day 2 - leave mid/late afternoon via train to Salzburg (the day that the Salzburg Festival is apparently ending - is this a positive or negative thing in terms of restaurants, crowds, events and activities? Our focus is Mozart and eating. Preferably sauerkraut and potato salad.)
Day 3 - full day in Salzburg, focus on Mozart sights - planning to do St. Peter's Stiftskeller for dinner concert
Day 4 - leave Salzburg via train to Interlaken - via Buchs, Zurich, Bern - arrive around 4 PM and stay in Interlaken for 3 nights
Day 5 - Berner Oberland - is the Swiss Open Air Folk Museum highly recommended?
Day 6 - Berner Oberland
Day 7 - leave for French Alps via Golden Rail train, arrive in Lausanne and stay for 3 nights
Day 8 - French Alps area
Day 9 - French Alps area
Day 10 - leave for Lyon, 1 day in Lyon and early flight out the next AM - what are not miss sights? We are just planning to eat!
Any comments are appreciated! I got some great advice on previous threads but just want to see if anyone has any personal experiences or tips to share at this point. Maneuvering trains and carry on luggage, managing crowds, a favorite restaurant, dressing for weather, anything! We'll be there end of August/early September. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland itinerary help please
- 2 May get together in Paris
- 3 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 4 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 5 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 6 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 7 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 8 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 9 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 10 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 11 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 12 Canal du Midi
- 13 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 14 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 15 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 16 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 17 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 18 Perugia
- 19 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 20 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 21 Praiano
- 22 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 23 Self drive tour companies
- 24 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 25 St Denis Cathedral
Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?