Day 1 - arrive in Vienna at ~2:00 PM - 24 hours to see Mozart sights - would you recommend dinner in a beer garden or heurigen? (we still have Salzburg coming ahead)
Day 2 - leave mid/late afternoon via train to Salzburg (the day that the Salzburg Festival is apparently ending - is this a positive or negative thing in terms of restaurants, crowds, events and activities? Our focus is Mozart and eating. Preferably sauerkraut and potato salad.)
Day 3 - full day in Salzburg, focus on Mozart sights - planning to do St. Peter's Stiftskeller for dinner concert
Day 4 - leave Salzburg via train to Interlaken - via Buchs, Zurich, Bern - arrive around 4 PM and stay in Interlaken for 3 nights
Day 5 - Berner Oberland - is the Swiss Open Air Folk Museum highly recommended?
Day 6 - Berner Oberland
Day 7 - leave for French Alps via Golden Rail train, arrive in Lausanne and stay for 3 nights
Day 8 - French Alps area
Day 9 - French Alps area
Day 10 - leave for Lyon, 1 day in Lyon and early flight out the next AM - what are not miss sights? We are just planning to eat!
Any comments are appreciated! I got some great advice on previous threads but just want to see if anyone has any personal experiences or tips to share at this point. Maneuvering trains and carry on luggage, managing crowds, a favorite restaurant, dressing for weather, anything! We'll be there end of August/early September. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 2 Cinqueterre
- 3 2 weeks in Germany – itinerary sanity check
- 4 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 5 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 6 A walk through Greenwich and Blackheath March 2017
- 7 Next Spring: Copenhagen and ???
- 8 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 9 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 10 YIKES!
- 11 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 12 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 13 Final Four
- 14 17 day roadtrip through UK: Need suggestions
- 15 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 16 Am sterdam is there a hop on hop off bus
- 17 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 18 Spain/Portugal Travel for Older Couple
- 19 Cash machines ATM
- 20 ideas for four days in Reykjavic
- 21 Turin, Bologna or Genoa
- 22 Charming areas to explore in London
- 23 Sardinia or Corsica??
- 24 Sweden, Estonia and Southern Croatia
- 25 Getting around Lisbon
Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?