Day 1 - arrive in Vienna at ~2:00 PM - 24 hours to see Mozart sights - would you recommend dinner in a beer garden or heurigen? (we still have Salzburg coming ahead)
Day 2 - leave mid/late afternoon via train to Salzburg (the day that the Salzburg Festival is apparently ending - is this a positive or negative thing in terms of restaurants, crowds, events and activities? Our focus is Mozart and eating. Preferably sauerkraut and potato salad.)
Day 3 - full day in Salzburg, focus on Mozart sights - planning to do St. Peter's Stiftskeller for dinner concert
Day 4 - leave Salzburg via train to Interlaken - via Buchs, Zurich, Bern - arrive around 4 PM and stay in Interlaken for 3 nights
Day 5 - Berner Oberland - is the Swiss Open Air Folk Museum highly recommended?
Day 6 - Berner Oberland
Day 7 - leave for French Alps via Golden Rail train, arrive in Lausanne and stay for 3 nights
Day 8 - French Alps area
Day 9 - French Alps area
Day 10 - leave for Lyon, 1 day in Lyon and early flight out the next AM - what are not miss sights? We are just planning to eat!
Any comments are appreciated! I got some great advice on previous threads but just want to see if anyone has any personal experiences or tips to share at this point. Maneuvering trains and carry on luggage, managing crowds, a favorite restaurant, dressing for weather, anything! We'll be there end of August/early September. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 2 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 5 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 6 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 7 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 8 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 9 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 10 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 11 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 12 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 13 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 14 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 15 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 16 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 17 Bruges
- 18 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 19 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 20 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 21 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 22 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 23 Planning A trip
- 24 A week in the Occitanie
- 25 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
Finalizing our Austria and Switzerland trip - last minute advice?