We are just a couple of months from our trip. I'm not sure I have too many specific questions, but I wanted to post our itinerary as it currently stands for ideas. Particularly, places of interests near our bases and driving routes, favorite pubs in our bases, other tips that line up with our stops.
Days 1 through 3: stay in Ballinamore, County Leitrim
Day 1: arrive Shannon about 8:00 am. We have a 3 hour drive to Ballinamore, though it should not be as rough as if we were headed to the coast. We are considering breaking the drive up with stops at Clonmacnoise and/or Carrick-on-Shannon. My partner is worried we'll be too tired to stop, but I actually think stopping once or twice will help us drive.
Days 2 and 3: Sites around Ballinamore, including Fenagh, Leitrim drive that potentially includes Glencar, Parkes castle, possibly up into Enniskillen, possibly a few sites into Cavan. This will depend in part on whether or not we find more information about my great grandfather's family from southeast of Ballinamore.
Day 4: Leave Ballinamore for Galway. Get an eary start if we do mass on Saturday night in Ballinamore. Go to farmers' market in Galway (yum). Galway strolls. Need to check on which sites are open on Sunday. Possibly attend late afternoon mass at Cathedral.
Day 5: Galway sites and shopping. Cheesemonger (have name in notes but not handy), Kenny's, historic sites, Galway Crystal.
Day 6: Leave Galway for a long day's drive to Castlegregory, detouring to Cliffs of Moher if weather is good.
Day 7: Tour Dingle peninsula. Combination of artisan shops, scenic drives, scenic walks, archaelogical sites.
Day 8: Leave Castlegregory early. Drive to Killarney National Park and see as many sites as we feel like fitting in...short hikes and/or Ross Castle and/or Muckross House and/or lake tour. Drive to Kenmare
Day 9 and 10: One day Beara peninsula tour. One day explore Kenmare and possibly Black Valley Drive.
Day 11: Leave Kenmare and drive to Bunratty. Possibly take slight detour to see Lough Gur area. That evening, probably low key. We will probably pass on Medeival Banquest and Traditional Irish Night events in favor of a pint and a toastie at a pub and early to bed.
Day 12: Leave for home...
Any thoughts, ideas, tips?
Finalizing itinerary--Leitrim, West, and SW Ireland
- 1 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 2 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 3 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 4 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 5 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 6 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 7 Germany and Italy
- 8 Which tour company would be best?
- 9 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 10 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 11 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 12 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 13 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 14 Changing of the Guard
- 15 Apartment Rental Website for Scotland?
- 16 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 17 Best way to get from Malaga to Gibraltar to Ceuta, Morocco?
- 18 "Our Small Adventure" an Ongoing Paris Trip Report
- 19 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 20 Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
- 21 Car rental
- 22 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 23 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 24 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 25 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG